Thread: U5b2c As A Western European Mesolithic mtDNA Lineage

J Man

U5b2c As A Western European Mesolithic mtDNA Lineage

It appears that there is a very strong chance that the U5b2c subclade of mtDNA haplogroup U5 originated in and is native to Western Europe. All of the U5b2c results that have been found so far seem to come form people with direct maternal line origins in Western European nations. So far these nations are Ireland, Spain, Scotland and Sweden. Sweden seems to be the location that is furthest east for U5b2c so far and only one sample has been found there I believe compared to the numerous samples from Ireland. The fact that the two Mesolithic remains from La-Brana Arintero in Northwest Spain also tested out to be U5b2c makes the case for U5b2c (U5b2c1 subclade) being of native Mesolithic origin in far Western Europe very likely I think. I think it is rather amazing that no U5b2c results have been found in Central or Eastern Europe yet though. It seems rather localized to Western Europe.

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-08-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Your U5b2c is obviously closely related to my U5b2b2. My trouble is that most of those can't seem to decide where in Europe their ancestors came from; they only give American origins. In one case it looks like she came from Kent, England, although Kentucky is given. And a secret Canadian goes back to France. Our ancestors (both U5b2c and U5b2b2) may have hunted megafauna out on Doggerland before it sank beneath the sea, ha ha.

J Man
    ^Maybe we both are ancient Doggerlanders after all my friend and distant maternal line cousin!

J Man
    Indeed now it does seem very likely that U5b2c originated probably in an Iberian or Franco-Cantabrian ice age refugium and then spread out after the LGM to colonize other areas of Western Europe. Basically U5b2c individuals seem to be dir4ct maternal line descendants of post-LGM Atlantic hunter-gatherers. The fact that La Brana man who was a Mesolithic hunter-gatherer is also U5b2c (U5b2c1) adds to this greatly.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I think most of U5b2b2 died out along the way from back in the Mesolithic. Unfortunately, I'm on a dead end, with no close relatives to carry on. The survivors in my branch are rather distant cousins. It looks like the U5b2b2 in the States came over with the "Great Migration" to New England; at least most of them. Then many moved south before the Revolutionary War. But there must be some remnants in New England & New York who haven't been tested.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 07-08-2014 at 05:51 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

parasar (07-08-2014)

J Man
    It is probably safe now to describe U5b2c as a Mesolithic Atlantic European haplogroup.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA (M)
    U5B2c

I am U5b2c maternal line and I can tell you that I am 100% Scottish as were all my ancestors. I did the 23andme thing to check for genetic mutations for health reasons but now I'm so very curious about all the supposed 3rd, 4th, and up to 6th cousins it says I may have. Lots of fun. I'm wondering if any other U5b2c folks would actually be related somehow? No other U5b2c profiles pop up in 23andme so I googled it and found this site. I'm very green at this.
    Also, I see that several of you have an additional number at the end of your group and wondered how that is determined? 23andme just gave me U5b2c

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotslass For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
    Also, I see that several of you have an additional number at the end of your group and wondered how that is determined? 23andme just gave me U5b2c
    You can upload your 23adnME mtDNA results to Jim's mthap tool, it might identify extra mutations and a refined subclade. However, you might need to test the full mtDNA sequence to get the most complete results possible.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celt/German/Iberian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a2b1

Germany Imperial United Kingdom Norway Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
    I am U5b2c maternal line and I can tell you that I am 100% Scottish as were all my ancestors. I did the 23andme thing to check for genetic mutations for health reasons but now I'm so very curious about all the supposed 3rd, 4th, and up to 6th cousins it says I may have. Lots of fun. I'm wondering if any other U5b2c folks would actually be related somehow? No other U5b2c profiles pop up in 23andme so I googled it and found this site. I'm very green at this.
    U5b2c is over 10,000 years old. It's unlikely another person with U5b2c is a recent relative. Can you post a picture of your results from here.