Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Positive for M343 ? Another commerical testing SNP Anomaly?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland

Am I Positive for M343 ? Another commerical testing SNP Anomaly?

Hi Guys :

Would be requesting you for your expertise. My Y haplo group have been recently classified as R-Z2976 and to be in this haplo, one has to be positive in the upstream SNP M343.
    My Tree on FTDNA shows that I am presumed positive for it.
    (Please see attachment)

My raw Nat Geo File shows that I am CC for M343

and when I checked the mutation for M343 at the link below, it came out that the mutation for M343 is C->A ( Please check screenshot)

Please confirm if I am positive for SNP343.

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (04-20-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Nope, doesn't look like it at all. If you actually were in R-M343, all of the SNPs up stream of your alleged R-Z2976 haplogroup should also be colored "confirmed" green, not "implied" amber. R-M343 men should report an A at M343.

Please advise FTDNA that they have messed up yet again. If your Z2976 site shows GG, it means that either they are referencing the wrong strand, or there is a parallel mutation state of Z2976 from C to G in your real haplogroup, presumably somewhere under J2a-CTS2906 from what you list in your profile here.

The recent Geno2 "Next Gen" data have really messed up FTDNA's haplotree algorithm, and I have no confidence whatsoever that their programmers have an actual clue. Instead of assigning a haplogroup based only on the so-called "terminal" SNP, they need to be evaluating all branches for the chain of SNPs that leads up to your haplogroup.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

dp (04-20-2016),  GoldenHind (04-22-2016),  Saetro (04-20-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    Nope, doesn't look like it at all. If you actually were in R-M343, all of the SNPs up stream of your alleged R-Z2976 haplogroup should also be colored "confirmed" green, not "implied" amber. R-M343 men should report an A at M343.

Please advise FTDNA that they have messed up yet again. If your Z2976 site shows GG, it means that either they are referencing the wrong strand, or there is a parallel mutation state of Z2976 from C to G in your real haplogroup, presumably somewhere under J2a-CTS2906 from what you list in your profile here.

The recent Geno2 "Next Gen" data have really messed up FTDNA's haplotree algorithm, and I have no confidence whatsoever that their programmers have an actual clue. Instead of assigning a haplogroup based only on the so-called "terminal" SNP, they need to be evaluating all branches for the chain of SNPs that leads up to your haplogroup.
    First I was JCTS2906 and then reassigned as Rz976 which also looks incorrect. I feel as if this is genealogical horoscope instead of a science.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

dp (04-20-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

Quote Originally Posted by jatt2016 View Post
    First I was JCTS2906 and then reassigned as Rz976 which also looks incorrect. I feel as if this is genealogical horoscope instead of a science.
    No, Geno2 is simply a bad product that should have never reached market.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

GoldenHind (04-22-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    I think the same now. So basically its a Chip error? the one that they use to test SNPS?. What in your opinion is the best product that can accurately tell your Y DNA haplo and the regional(autosomal ancestry)?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

Quote Originally Posted by jatt2016 View Post
    I think the same now. So basically its a Chip error? the one that they use to test SNPS?. What in your opinion is the best product that can accurately tell your Y DNA haplo and the regional(autosomal ancestry)?
    A combination of chip errors, clueless programmers, and a poor testing platform overall. Y-SNP chips also become outdated very quickly.

The most affordable autosomal test is probably FTDNA's Family Finder chip. DNA.Ancestry.ca and 23andMe.com follow behind.

For Y-DNA haplogroups, the appropriate SNP Packs from FTDNA, or SNP Panels from YSEQ.net would be the least expensive route, but they only test for known Y-SNPs. One is better off in the long run, financially, by skipping all that and going straight for NGS testing with Big-Y from FTDNA, or even better, the ultimate Y-Elite 2.x from FullGenomes.com (my personal preference).

If I had to do it all over again, I would simply order the WGS 30x product from Full Genomes Corp, and call it done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (04-19-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Ah thanks for this post. Well, well, this is proof that is FTDNA that is totally messing up how they handle certain parts of some transfers. I am positive for M343 and on both the old and new test I get "AA" so it's definitely not a matter of this is one of the ones that needs to be read opposite strand or can't be trusted or something. I'm thinking then maybe my BY2171 might actually be positive under L20 even though FTDNA tree shows it as negative or untested!

So your M343 is definitely negative and it's not that it is really positive but need to be read opposite strand or anything.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

jatt2016 (04-20-2016),  khanabadoshi (04-21-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

How is this the Geno 2's fault though? It's just the FTDNA transfer doing weird things.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

Saetro (04-20-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by wombatofthenorth View Post
    How is this the Geno 2's fault though? It's just the FTDNA transfer doing weird things.
    Interesting to note is that Nat Genographic has reported my as J-CTS2906. I am following up with them and they have assured me that the case will be resolved in 2-3 weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Actually what do you get for L21? Are you positive for that? If not for that either than the result seems dubious.
    Hmm I see that I am also positive for Z2976 so I wonder if this new SNP is not a broken one, unless L20 also often have that. If so then the negative M343 would be the one to trust (unless L21 turns out positive).
    Other odd ones I'm positive for on the R-branch (just going by FTDNA green and not verifying myself for the most part other than for a couple where the old test also had them) along with Z2976 are MC14, Z2983, L459 (although L21 negative), S5153, Z284, L625, CTS12976, S3207, CTS12023, Z2396. All those ones that seem odd (although perhaps it is common for L20 to have them too?) seem to be new SNPs on the new test only (other than for L625, CTS12023). Man, I hope that doesn't mean that most of the new SNPs added since the old test register false? Or maybe the new ones are all to be read opposite strand of the ones on the old test or at least some of them?

Hmm L625 I was "AA" on the old test but "TT" on the new. Same for CTS12023 where I am negative AA on the old test and seem to be positive GG on the new , so maybe it is meant to be read opposite strand on the new?

I'm curious what you got for all those I mentioned, did they all show up as green too? Maybe we can see if they possibly always come out positive implying FTDNA is either not reading those ones on the correct strand or they are stuck always positive?
    Last edited by wombatofthenorth; 04-20-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast