Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: How much Slavic DNA exists in Greece?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszM View Post
    Hi, how do you know you were reference? They informed you? Or only from this 100% score?
    Yes, a few years ago 23andMe used their own clients as references as there were no Balkan scientific samples. They have written how many from each ethnicity, but did not inform personally, the clue was showing 100% something. This is because the algorithm was looking for the closest match and I was a perfect one with myself. I think Dienekes himself pointed how to avoid this, by dividing them into groups of 5, etc. I don't remember exactly. This was fixed, but not very fast, maybe after about a year in the next version and I fell from 100% Balkan to 65%.
    I think something like that is happening with FTDNA MyOrigins as some Balkan people, for example, show 100% SouthEast Europe, they are probably used as references.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eastara For This Useful Post:

Illyro-Vlach (01-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Hello,
    I score 100% Southeast Europe at FTDNA and I wondered why there could be no more variation (in all other vendors my results are much more variable).
    I am Greek. My mother comes 100% from Epirus and my father 50% from Kephalonia and 50% from Kea.

As to the beginning of the thread, I noticed you used the K15 results of some Greeks in order to compare. I could also post mine if you are interested - as well as my mother's and father's. They are based on MyHeritage raw data which was the first company I ever tested with (last year). I also have my husband's who is Italian (with roots from Marche and Sicily).

By the way, is K15 more accurate than K13? For some reason I was recommended to use K13 mainly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexandra_K For This Useful Post:

J Man (06-07-2018),  Nibelung (06-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    I forgot to mention that according to our family history from Epirus (area of Ioannina), the family has also Vlach and Arvanite roots, plus historically our village used to be one of the Slavic settlements of the Middle Ages (named Tserkovista until 1928). Concerning the history of the village, I have read that mainly Slavic men would marry to local women back then and that the Slavic element became gradually assimilated (genetically and culturally) through the centuries. The center of our village was called until recently Selio (from selo). The village was afterwards also occupied by Bulgarians, Serbians and last but not least, the Ottomans. Hence my curosity to understand if all this still shows in autosomal DNA.
    I don't know as many details about the family/local history regarding Kephalonia and Kea (only the general historical info regading the two islands).
    Last edited by Alexandra_K; 06-07-2018 at 06:03 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra_K For This Useful Post:

J Man (06-07-2018)

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122