Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 213

Thread: How much Slavic DNA exists in Greece?

  1. #21
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,825
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    W

    Poland Poland Pomerania European Union
    Modern Greeks are genetically much closer to Albanians, than to their Slavic neighbours.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomenable For This Useful Post:

     Mis (03-05-2016)

  3. #22
    Banned
    Posts
    158
    Sex
    Location
    Beijing
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Nationality
    Chinese
    Y-DNA
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA
    M

    China South Korea Taiwan Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Modern Greeks are genetically much closer to Albanians, than to their Slavic neighbours.
    That's because they're both untouched by the Slavic element, nothing more.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to sciencediver For This Useful Post:

     Mis (03-05-2016)

  5. #23
    Banned
    Posts
    158
    Sex
    Location
    Beijing
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Nationality
    Chinese
    Y-DNA
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA
    M

    China South Korea Taiwan Japan
    edit///
    Last edited by sciencediver; 03-05-2016 at 03:30 PM.

  6. #24
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,825
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    W

    Poland Poland Pomerania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencediver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable
    Modern Greeks are genetically much closer to Albanians, than to their Slavic neighbours.
    That's because they're both untouched by the Slavic element, nothing more.
    Let's not exaggerate in the other way around. They are both to some extent touched by the Slavic element - there was Slavic settlement as far as Peloponnesus in Greece, and there are also Slavic toponyms in Albania, especially in Tosk-speaking areas. As for Albanian-Greek similarity - yes one reason would be that both lived in the Balkans before Slavic migrations, but another reason is also - among others - Albanian settlement in Greece (groups such as Arvanites). For example Athens (and in fact most of Attica) used to have Albanian majority in 1830.

    An excerpt from a book published in 1855 (it says that 25 years earlier, in 1830, Athens had Albanian majority):



    And of course my statement was about Non-Macedonian Greeks.

    Because Macedonian Greeks are - actually - more genetically similar to South-Eastern Slavs than to Albanians.
    Last edited by Tomenable; 03-05-2016 at 02:08 PM.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tomenable For This Useful Post:

     Dibran (10-24-2017),  Gheg (12-02-2018),  Illyro-Vlach (03-05-2016),  sciencediver (03-05-2016)

  8. #25
    Registered Users
    Posts
    619
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA
    H1c9a

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post


    Unfortunately we still don't have any Post-Neolithic ancient Y-DNA from Greece.
    Thiis fellow has Slavic appearance, for what it is worth.

  9. #26
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,825
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    W

    Poland Poland Pomerania European Union
    Slavic appearance
    Is there even such a thing ???

    We might talk about Proto-South-Slavic appearance in the context of Slavic migration to the Balkans.

    There are sources which describe how those early Proto-South-Slavs looked like.

    Łukasz M. Stanaszek, "Phenotype of old Slavs, 6th to 10th centuries" (in Polish + English summary):

    http://www.archeo.uw.edu.pl/swarch/S...B-s205-212.pdf

    It is in fact mostly about South Slavs, because that's whom the Byzantines first met and described.

  10. #27
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,825
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    W

    Poland Poland Pomerania European Union
    ^ I mean "Slavs becoming South" (as back then they were just crossing the Danube and colonizing the Balkans).

  11. #28
    Registered Users
    Posts
    619
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA
    H1c9a

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Is there even such a thing ???
    True. Generally speaking, I was noting the dolichocephalic nature and other facial features of the person.

  12. #29
    Banned
    Posts
    158
    Sex
    Location
    Beijing
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Nationality
    Chinese
    Y-DNA
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA
    M

    China South Korea Taiwan Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Let's not exaggerate in the other way around. They are both to some extent touched by the Slavic element - there was Slavic settlement as far as Peloponnesus in Greece, and there are also Slavic toponyms in Albania, especially in Tosk-speaking areas. As for Albanian-Greek similarity - yes one reason would be that both lived in the Balkans before Slavic migrations, but another reason is also - among others - Albanian settlement in Greece (groups such as Arvanites). For example Athens (and in fact most of Attica) used to have Albanian majority in 1830.

    An excerpt from a book published in 1855 (it says that 25 years earlier, in 1830, Athens had Albanian majority):



    And of course my statement was about Non-Macedonian Greeks.

    Because Macedonian Greeks are - actually - more genetically similar to South-Eastern Slavs than to Albanians.
    I agree with your post more or less, I disagree about Albanians though. I have seen Albanians claim they used to be a majority in Athens, but I have yet to see any actual numbers confirming this. Also, Athens has been heavily settled by Greeks from other regions since.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to sciencediver For This Useful Post:

     Tomenable (03-05-2016)

  14. #30
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,559
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    So it seems that only Macedonian Greeks are similar to South Slavs (especially to South-East Slavs: Macedonians and Bulgarians).
    This is IBD sharing, not autosomal ancestry.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ancient DNA from Neolithic Greece
    By Gravetto-Danubian in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 07-10-2017, 05:10 PM
  2. Who lived 10 000 years ago in Greece?
    By Tolan in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 12:43 PM
  3. Poll: Pan-Slavic or individual Slavic language sections?
    By Administrator in forum Forum Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
  4. Central Asian R1b Exists
    By DMXX in forum R1b General
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •