Thread: Y DNA SNPs question

Y DNA SNPs question

So as I figure it, the less SNPs identified the older you are?

A SNP identifies a mutation right? So lineages "born" closer to the 2000s should have more SNPs.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    So as I figure it, the less SNPs identified the older you are?

A SNP identifies a mutation right? So lineages "born" closer to the 2000s should have more SNPs.
    Replace "should" with "may".

Although SNPs accumulate over time (years or generations), the difference in SNP count between someone who was born in the 1900's and someone born in the 2000's is marginally insignificant. One would be very fortunate to have one or two additional SNPs than their great-grandfather has. That one or two SNP difference could very well be manifest with a second times paternal-line cousin of the same age, descending from the same great-grandfather.
    Last edited by VinceT; 02-10-2016 at 10:41 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

Megalophias (02-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    Replace "should" with "may".

Although SNPs accumulate over time (years or generations), the difference in SNP count between someone who was born in the 1900's and someone born in the 2000's is marginally insignificant. One would be very fortunate to have one or two additional SNPs than their great-grandfather has. That one or two SNP difference could very well be manifest with a second times paternal-line cousin of the same age, descending from the same great-grandfather.

I am not talking a mere 100 years. My family is extremely old - as per a number of gene testing sites - Family Tree or Geno 2.0 whichever one gives the summary, I don't have it on my computer right now - the "closest" relative has about 500 years separating us. I am under the impression, given as male relatives [my brother, father] have far less SNPs than this "close" relative that we are far younger.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    I am not talking a mere 100 years. My family is extremely old - as per a number of gene testing sites - Family Tree or Geno 2.0 whichever one gives the summary, I don't have it on my computer right now - the "closest" relative has about 500 years separating us. I am under the impression, given as male relatives [my brother, father] have far less SNPs than this "close" relative that we are far younger.
    Everyone's family is "old," as we all go back to the original humans. If I understand your concern, the issue for you may be that there is not a nearer relative who has tested. When I first did my Deep Y-dna test I was fortunate because I had a match within my subclade. Then, a few years elapsed with nobody closer (who has tested, of course). Right when I thought maybe this is as good as it is going to get, I received a match last month with a person who has some of the same "private" SNPS as me (being "private" because I was the only person who had tested who had these SNPs). Now that another tester has the same SNPs, my family just got closer.