R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30a1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M357
    mtDNA (P)
    J1b1a1

Family Finder Match problem

When i checked in advanced matches section it showed a new match with a fourth cousin-distant cousin relationship . But when I check the family Finder matches it doesn't appear there . What should be the reason for that ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    question

I am zero genetic distance with Charles Sheppard Vinson Jones , 1760 carolina in ftdna for the first 12 STR and then have a difference of 10 for the next 16 DYS STR's . I checked this person ancestry until 1585 and have no family tree ancestry...........the only close regional name for my line in North-Italy might be his Gor`ing name from Swabia Germany.

question is why am I zero GD and then have a 10 difference later on..............does ftdna look at all the test or use only the first 12 STR to determine a GD match?

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    The advanced matches function has become useless. In the beginning I had 2 str12 matches from india showing up, a while after they were not showing up anymore (became private?), and now I can only select one category to search in, if I select two nothing will show up. But maybe in your case its people that want to remain private, and them showing up is a bug or something.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    question

question is why am I zero GD and then have a 10 difference later on..............does ftdna look at all the test or use only the first 12 STR to determine a GD match?
    If you just look for matches with no restrictions, it will look at everything, not just your first 12 STRs.
    Although it is hard to find anything in FAQs in FTDNA here is their advice on YDNA GDs
    https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ics/ydna/#tab2
    GD 10 over 37 STRs is quite high, and any match will be way, way back - much further than 1585.
    You probably need to try MacDonald's TMRCA calculator -
    http://clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/tmrca-calculator
    which says at GD 10 over 37 STRs, you have a 50% chance of a match being around 66 generations back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

vettor (04-06-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    If you just look for matches with no restrictions, it will look at everything, not just your first 12 STRs.
    Although it is hard to find anything in FAQs in FTDNA here is their advice on YDNA GDs
    https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ics/ydna/#tab2
    GD 10 over 37 STRs is quite high, and any match will be way, way back - much further than 1585.
    You probably need to try MacDonald's TMRCA calculator -
    http://clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/tmrca-calculator
    which says at GD 10 over 37 STRs, you have a 50% chance of a match being around 66 generations back.
    thanks

Maybe Ftdna should match people on one level below what they tested..............as an example, I tested 67 marker and they ( ftdna ) should present my GD based on only 67 and 37 marker testers and not on 12 marker or 25 marker ones, because it seems the 12 marker testers results by others with me , give me an this zero GD.

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    thanks

Maybe Ftdna should match people on one level below what they tested..............as an example, I tested 67 marker and they ( ftdna ) should present my GD based on only 67 and 37 marker testers and not on 12 marker or 25 marker ones, because it seems the 12 marker testers results by others with me , give me an this zero GD.
    I think you can go in and decide on your matching options. You may able to set this yourself.
    However, you can't go beyond their matching thresholds which is approximately 11% diversity as calculated by GD.
    For those people in R1b, if you join the R1b project and have at least 67 STRs we don't have those thresholds in the R1b_Haplotypes comparison. You can check your GD and sort by it against the whole file.
    Last edited by TigerMW; 04-06-2016 at 05:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TigerMW For This Useful Post:

vettor (04-07-2016)