Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA (M)
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    My brother is on that list but the surname should be Carroll and not Redmond. He is presently parked at S588. I've been wondering whether getting the Big Y would be any advantage especially when looking at the cost? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Did your brother do v1 version of the M222 bundle? I know they added SNP's to it subsequently if that was the case. With regards to BigY, if you can afford it I'd say go for it, however to gain most out of it you need to share results via YTree or YFULL. For example on Ytree (Alex Williamson's page) there are currently 34 S588+ men:
    http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...576&star=false

As more are added no doubt branching structure will gradually change.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

Jessie (06-16-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubhthach View Post
    Did your brother do v1 version of the M222 bundle? I know they added SNP's to it subsequently if that was the case. With regards to BigY, if you can afford it I'd say go for it, however to gain most out of it you need to share results via YTree or YFULL. For example on Ytree (Alex Williamson's page) there are currently 34 S588+ men:
    http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...576&star=false

As more are added no doubt branching structure will gradually change.
    I think it was v1 but yes I've noticed that they have added no snps and he is negative for them. I might just bite the bullet and get it done for posterity's sake. It will be interesting to see if he gets past S588.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scot., Eng., Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222>S588>S603

Ireland Scotland Wales England Germany Switzerland
    Well I just recently learned through Ydna tests I took from ftdna that I am positive for M222 and S588, which is one snp downstream of M222!!! I was really excited!!! Also I took the S603 test (pretty cheap, price-wise) test from yseq (yseq.net) and am also positive for S603. I was real happy! My distant O'Hair cousin, is also confirmed for those three: M222>S588>S603

My cousin and I both have the same ancestor Michael O'Hair/O'Hare born in 1749 and from County Down, Ireland. There is also a man with the last name Hare who lives in Canada that is a descendant of Henry Hare born in 1774 in County Cavan, Ireland which is 3 counties from County Down. This Henry Hare descendant is also M222>S588 and I think he would be positive for S603 if they tested for it. I am a genetic distance of 2 to Mr. Hare at 37 markers. I plan on upgrading to 67 markers later. My cousin is also a close match to Mr. Hare. My own theory is that the Hares used to be O'Hares but dropped the O' for some reason.

Additionally, my cousin, myself, and Mr. Hare are ydna matches to a descendant of Peter O'Hare who died about 1830 in County Down. This Peter O'Hare descendant lives here in the U.S. and I'm trying to get his sister (who apparently administers his ftdna kit) to have her brother tested with the r1b m222 snp pack (I think he is going to be positive for S588.).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fridurich For This Useful Post:

Jessie (05-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222>S588>S603

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I think it was v1 but yes I've noticed that they have added no snps and he is negative for them. I might just bite the bullet and get it done for posterity's sake. It will be interesting to see if he gets past S588.
    Jessie, I don't know if your brother found out what branch of S588 he is or not. Dubhthach's advice to do the big Y tests sounds good. My O'Hair cousin did the Big Y and it is helping him now avoid testing for snps that it showed he was negative for.

My cousin is trying to find what branch of S603 we are on. He is going to have some of his novel variants that the Big y test revealed, tested. These, or some of these, novel variants may some day be official SNPs.

I don't know what your surname is, but if you think it is affiliated with any of those that are S603, and if your brother wants to, he could take the S603 test. It was cheap, only about 22 American dollars including shipping, for me. I got my kit in 2 days from Houston, Texas, it only took about 6 days to get to Yseq's lab in Berlin, Germany, and it only took 2 or 2 and a half weeks to get the results after the kit got to Berlin. Yseq's people reply rapidly to emails.

I don't have the web address offhand, but Ian Kennedy's M222 chart also shows some surnames that are positive for S603.

Kind Regards
    Fridurich

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fridurich For This Useful Post:

Jessie (05-19-2017),  MacUalraig (05-19-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Quote Originally Posted by fridurich View Post
    Jessie, I don't know if your brother found out what branch of S588 he is or not. Dubhthach's advice to do the big Y tests sounds good. My O'Hair cousin did the Big Y and it is helping him now avoid testing for snps that it showed he was negative for.

My cousin is trying to find what branch of S603 we are on. He is going to have some of his novel variants that the Big y test revealed, tested. These, or some of these, novel variants may some day be official SNPs.

I don't know what your surname is, but if you think it is affiliated with any of those that are S603, and if your brother wants to, he could take the S603 test. It was cheap, only about 22 American dollars including shipping, for me. I got my kit in 2 days from Houston, Texas, it only took about 6 days to get to Yseq's lab in Berlin, Germany, and it only took 2 or 2 and a half weeks to get the results after the kit got to Berlin. Yseq's people reply rapidly to emails.

I don't have the web address offhand, but Ian Kennedy's M222 chart also shows some surnames that are positive for S603.

Kind Regards
    Fridurich
    Hi Fridurich - He did take the S603 test and is negative. He is on the Kennedy chart but the surname is incorrect because it is my married name which of course isn't relevant. I will most likely get the Big Y done but will wait for the sales. My brother's closest matches appears to be with a couple of men with the surname McGee at the moment.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

My brother is on Kennedy's M222 chart but the surname is incorrect. They have used my married name as his results were initially under my name. He has tested for S603 but is negative so is under S588. I will most likely get the Bit Y done when there is a special on.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222>S588>S603

Does anyone know what any of the Irish annals say about the ancestral origin of the Ulster O'Hares? From what I can tell so far, the Ulster O'Hares aren't mentioned very much in Medieval times.

John O'Hart seems to be using O'Farrell's "Linea Antiqua" when he appears to be saying the Ulster O'Hirs are a branch of the Leitrim McRannall chiefs. Line 118 is where it shows an Ior (form of Ir?) MacRannall being ancestor of the O'H-irs. http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigr...eynolds1Ir.php

MacRannall descendants today usually use the anglicized surname Reynolds, but I have read where Grannell and McReynolds are also forms of MacRannall. O'Hart did a lot of research on a lot of Irish families, but he has been criticized for not being critical enough of the data he discovered or was told. If the O'Hares were a branch of the MacRannalls, maybe this explains why there wasn't much mention of O'Hares in Medieval times, because they were MacRannalls (who were mentioned a lot) until possibly the 15th century A. D.

Interestingly, on the Big Tree where you will see my distant O'Hair cousin's name, there is a McReynolds not extremely far from him. http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=2344

This McReynolds has more mutations shown than my O'Hair cousin, so at first glance, it would seem like O'Hair is the older family, making it unlikely O'Hair could have sprang from the McReynolds. However, I know the Big Y doesn't cover the whole Y chromosome, so perhaps more mutations would be shown for my cousin if his test had been Y Elite. At any rate, I don't know if this McReynolds is a branch of the MacRannalls or not.

If I remember right, in John O'Dugan's Topographical Poem, he mentions an O'Heir(e) chief or chiefs in Ulster. This would seem to contradict O'Hart. O'Dugan died about 1370 A.D., so his O'Heir chief must have lived at least at that time or before. However, looking at the dates in O'Harts MacRannall genealogy, it appears the first man surnamed O'Hir must have been born in the 15th Century A. D. Perhaps the answer is that there was more than one O'Hir Ulster sept at the time, even though I get the sense there was only one.

Also, the O'Hares are said to be an Airgialla sept kin to the O'Hanlons. As far as I can tell, no O'Hanlons or Hanlons have ever YDNA tested, or if they have, they haven't uploaded it anywhere I know about. Seems like O'Hart has the ancestors of the O'Hanlons being from the 3 Collas, and Niall of the Nine Hostages. I have read about the skepticism that the Collas existed.

Based on this 2010 study, accessed by the following link, if accurate, it shows about 9 out of 16 O'Hares in Ulster were M222. This study was an analysis of the Trinity University study done in 2005. http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-09/1285200942

My O'Hair distant cousin and myself are confirmed M222>S588>S603 Our common ancestor was Michael O'Hair born 1749 from County Down, in what is now Northern Ireland.

The O'Hares that are M222 are obviously related to men who have the Northern Ui Neill surnames who are M222 as well.

Any help on solving the ancestral origins of the Ulster O'Hares would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Kind Regards

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345