Thread: Why I REALLY wish Ancestry would start showing segment matching.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland

Why I REALLY wish Ancestry would start showing segment matching.

Apparently, the powers that be over there don't think segment matching is useful or necessary, but I'd really love to see it.

Today there was a new name among my matches, and he had the same unusual surname I do: Bookhammer. "World Family Names" (http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Default.aspx) reports it as being unique to the U.S., and estimates its U.S. frequency as 0.47 per million.

(The original German form, Buchhammer, has its highest frequency of 130.15 per million in Landeck, Austria, so it really was never all that common a name to begin with.)

Anyway, Ancestry reports that my cousin and I share 456 centimorgans across 29 DNA segments, which is just a smidgen higher than the average for 1st cousins once removed. According to http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics, that's 425.00 cM.

After checking with my sister, it appears that the cousin is in fact the grandson of one of my father's brothers -- so he is indeed a 1st cousin once removed.

So we know the shared DNA came from either my paternal grandfather or paternal grandmother -- or probably, from both of them. Since my father tested at 23andMe, I don't need to be able to see the matching segments to help me unravel what's from my father, rather than my mother. But my cousin doesn't necessarily have such info himself. We know the source(s) of the shared DNA -- so why not let us visualize the locations of the shared DNA.

As it is, with my dad and all five of my siblings tested at 23andMe (plus my daughter), it's really great to be able to do some partial phasing of the results. I can't really see how it wouldn't be better to view the matching DNA, rather than just having Ancestry give us an "estimate" of what they think the shared DNA means.
    Last edited by geebee; 02-28-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: insertion of missing word
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (02-28-2016),  Cinnamon orange (03-05-2016),  IanFitzpatrick (02-28-2016),  TŠltos (02-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Unfortunately, the best you can do for now is try to persuade your cousin to export his Ancestry data to Gedmatch, where you can do the visualizing, but this is not a permanent solution, and is something I'm finding is a real downside to Ancestry (though it has its upsides too).

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (03-05-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I agree GeeBee and cannot think why they want to hide the visual information from customers.