Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Looks like Zechariah immigrated to the US around 1888, when he was 21. Also seems to have made a trip from Liverpool to NYC (and then back to Almira, WA, where he lived) in 1930, which suggests he might have gone back for maybe something related to the death of his brother (John Richard), if that John died in 1929, as the reference to the probate records seemed to suggest.

Is the newspaper you mention suggesting that Zechariah's brother John was in the US? He could have been, as I haven't found him after 1881 other than the reference in the solicitors transcriptions noted above. It does seem that Zechariah joined his uncle Owen and some other relatives who were then in Washington state (in a pretty rural area where he would not have gone just as a coincidence and quite a trip).
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 05-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-11-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Yes, Perhaps you need to search http://newspapers.library.wales and https://journals.library.wales with all the information you already have.

In 1917 the Drych has "YMOFYNIAD AM JOHN HUMPHREYS, gynt o Dol- pebyll, Llangadfan, sir Drefaldwyn. Clywyd oddiwrtho ddiweddaf o Twin Lakes, Colorado, yn y flwyddyn 1901. Y mae oddeutu 52 mlwydd oed. Dy- muna ei frawd gael rhyw air o hys- bysrwydd am dano. Cyfeirier-Zach. Humphreys, Govan, Wash"

In 1888 there was a previous request "YMOFYNIAD AM JOHN HUMPHREYS, gynt o Dolbebyll, Llangadfan, Sir Drelaldwyn. Daeth i'r wlad hon o gwmpas chwe blynedd yn ol, a bu yn gwelthto yn Columbus, Ohio, mewn Foundry. Symudodd oddlyno I Minneapolis, Minn., lie y gwelthlal mewn Foundry dair blynedd yn ol. Mae tua 25 mlwydd oed. Byddaf yn dra dlolch- gar am el gyfelrlad, am el fod yn dra. phwyslg Iddo ef at berthynasan yn yr Hen Wlad gael hyd Iddo yn fuan. Oyfelrier-OWEN HUMPHREYS, Heeseltlne, Lincoln Co., Wash. Ter. 21"

There are several references in Y Drych to Owen and his nephew Zach; as well as the usual family notices. Owen is credited with a part in founding Big Bend - I'm not sure if that is a reference to founding a chapel or a town.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-11-2018), msmarjoribanks (05-11-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Yeah, that looks like a great source.

Big Bend country is an area of eastern Washington state where there was a Welsh settlement and Welsh church at one point, and Owen was an early settler of the area (he lived before then in Wisconsin and Minnesota, but went to Washington sometime around the mid 1870s). Could have meant that. Owen and his wife Jane and oldest son are all buried in the Welsh Cemetery there too, and he was naturalized there in 1880 (many years after coming to the US, he started but did not complete it much earlier). Anyway, I'd like to do some local research around there at some point.

If John was in the US like Zechariah, neither of them is the ancestor of my match, so I can concentrate on their sisters and aunts and uncles for now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    It should be quite easy to find the rest of the family in Wales in the census and parish records etc. as well as the newspapers.

By the 1900s some of the emigrants were coming back to visit or to stay - two of my emigrant uncles came back to live after many years.

Sadly, they didn't find John Richard. The probate for 1929 records an assumption of death on or since 13 February 1902 at some place unknown. ( from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) at Ancestry).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    This morning's "In Our Time" on BBC Radio 4 was about the Mabinogion. It's well worth listening to on iPlayer if you've got access. Has anyone got a favourite tale? Mine is the Dream of Maxen for its dream vision of a journey to Wales and the two one-line letters sent from Rome and back. It's the shortest too if anyone doesn't fancy tackling the whole book but wants a taster. You can find it for free online.
    No favourite tale but I read the pedair cainc when I was very young and still find them fascinating. Part of the cultural and environmental fabric too. I would mention Culhwch ac Olwen, if only for the giant's name "Yspaddaden Pencawr".

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-12-2018), rms2 (05-13-2018), Saetro (05-12-2018)

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738