Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    My known ancestors who came to the US seem to have been Welsh-speaking (they came around 1850), and there's a funny bit in a local history of the largely Welsh county in Wisconsin about a rumor that the local Indians had a Welsh-derived language. I was using Duolingo for a while last year for Welsh (I had previously used it for German), and was interested in the number of apparent English loan words. I was sad that Rosetta Stone (which I have a subscription to) doesn't seem to have Welsh.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (04-18-2022),  Phoebe Watts (04-18-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    My known ancestors who came to the US seem to have been Welsh-speaking (they came around 1850), and there's a funny bit in a local history of the largely Welsh county in Wisconsin about a rumor that the local Indians had a Welsh-derived language. I was using Duolingo for a while last year for Welsh (I had previously used it for German), and was interested in the number of apparent English loan words. I was sad that Rosetta Stone (which I have a subscription to) doesn't seem to have Welsh.
    The story of Prince Madogís voyage to America was recorded in a fifteenth century poem. The assumption was that Madog lived in the twelfth century. Apparently the Tudor kings used the story to claim rights over America because the Welsh were there before Columbus😀. The rumours of the Welsh speaking tribe were connected to that tale and there were several attempts to find them.

I found a reference in a Welsh newspaper published in North America to a cousin of my 3x great-grandfather. He - the cousin- was a black-sheep emigrant who settled in Dodgeville Wisconsin before moving on to California in the gold rush leaving his wife and family in Dodgeville. According to the newspaper, he joined one of these explorations.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (04-19-2022),  msmarjoribanks (04-18-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I may have posted about this a while back, but I have a couple of small Welsh matches on my mom's side (a mother and daughter who live in Wales and have all their relevant ancestry there). They are (from US perspectives) small matches -- 24 cM. Based on common matches I identified one possible connection as a Smith family, and they thought that seemed the most likely given their own ancestry of the families I identified as possibles. I've finally (due to other matches) started working on that family (I was reluctant to take on Smith research) and found more indication that it is probably that side, but also find that I am currently dead-ended on one ancestor (b. 1774 in VA, died in IL), but that many people give his father (although without attribution, sigh) to a man who is sometimes identified as born in 1740 in Wales, sometimes as 1740 in VA (and when VA they sometimes give a more extensive ancestry within colonial America).

The maybe father's alleged wife explains a connection to a group of matches (from various children) also on that side -- so many because close relatives of theirs became early Mormon pioneers. Thus, I am suspecting -- although not yet with sufficient evidence -- that the alleged father was born in Wales and is related to the people in question. I am working on finding more evidence (either yes or no).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (04-21-2022),  Kathlingram (05-09-2022),  Phoebe Watts (04-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2b/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Ancestry gives me 6% Welsh, but I don't know of a recent Welsh ancestor. Danial Boone may be my 1st cousin six times removed. His mother's line (Morgan) was Welsh. I say may be because I'm a little uneasy with a particular Quaker connection back there in Pennsylvania. But it may really be valid.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-03-2022),  Phoebe Watts (04-28-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Try Glossika. Welsh is offered for free on it as Glossika wishes to support minority and endangered languages.
    Glossika has high quality native speaker recordings and you can use it passively on listening mode while you do monotonous tasks. I really like it. Personally, I can't stand duolingo or any program like it.
    I think the only downside to Glossika is the way-too-high subscription cost, which isn't an issue if you're using it for Welsh.

There's also a fantastic audio course called "Say Something in Welsh" of which you can access some lessons in the older versions for free, though I don't think the subscription cost they ask is too bad.

Cancel that Rosetta Stone subscription! There's better stuff out there!
    Last edited by sktibo; 04-30-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Caledonian (05-01-2022),  Cunobelinus_T (05-01-2022),  JMcB (05-03-2022),  JonikW (05-03-2022),  msmarjoribanks (04-30-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    I was looking around for where to post this.. I know I have private messages to some of you.. I have finally figured out who my paternal biological grandfather was. Pretty sure Dad did not know this..Until I tested at AncestryDNA I did not realize how Welsh I was Only 60 matches at 23andme but At AncestryDNA I have over 600 matches.. My largest matches were 2-3rd cousins but lots of them.
    So a month or so ago I got a first cousin 1R whose Grandfather was from the llyn Peninsula like most of mine and was a Merchant Marine who eventually married a young girl from Delaware. My grandmother was also from DE ..he married her 2 years after my father was born.
    Happily at least 4 good cousin helped me figure some of it out.. One is better with DNA and the other better with Pedigrees My Sister is 38% Welsh, I am about 34% and the first cousin who is still very puzzled is 41%
    My Grandfather is Robert Own Jones ( deceased in SC 1963)
    Kathleen
    I was again looking around for where to post this..I am still SOOOO thrilled at now knowing who my Bio Welsh Grandfather was.. I just REALIZED that I added about 25% more ancestors with this knowledge? A few of you helped me to understand my Welsh % and 5 close Welsh matches (Still in Wales) helped me along the way..
    Until I knew his name ( a 1/2 1st Cousin tested) my Welsh helpers were a bit off BUT 2 weeks ago a 4th cousin who is a GP in Wales sent me who the intervening DNA matches were.. between she and I.. Now my original close cousin helpers are being connected in the same way ..( our "common " ancestors I'm sure are triple and quadruple cousins at the very least. My first couple helpers are 3rd cousins. My tree now has 5795 people.. Love it!! Kathleen
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 05-03-2022 at 06:56 PM.
    FTDNA- Group admin-FauntFant, LowerDelmarVa
    23andme,FTDNA,MyHeritage,LivingDNA
    3 Great GP 100% Ireland, 2 Great GP 100% Wales 7 GreatGreats 100% Ireland, 4 GreatGP 100% Wales ,3rdGreat GP Sweden,

Fantstown Castle 13C Limerick Ancestral

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-03-2022),  JonikW (05-03-2022),  msmarjoribanks (05-06-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Until I knew his name ( a 1/2 1st Cousin tested) my Welsh helpers were a bit off BUT 2 weeks ago a 4th cousin who is a GP in Wales sent me who the intervening DNA matches were.. between she and I.. Now my original close cousin helpers are being connected in the same way ..( our "common " ancestors I'm sure are triple and quadruple cousins at the very least. My first couple helpers are 3rd cousins. My tree now has 5795 people.. Love it!! Kathleen[/QUOTE]

So with this in mind..does anyone besides me have a clue as to how AncestryDNA's software determines who is a "Common Ancestor"? My 4-5 closest matches have multiple segments .. the closest (besides my 1/2 first cousin) has 3 large segments and the next person has 2 segments also large.. other large matches have been linked to a "Common Ancestor"..pretty accurately.. the one I'm waiting for is this:" 64 cM across 3 segments Unweighted shared DNA: 86 cM Longest segment: 52 cM"
    My theory is that the software cannot determine one common ancestor in that case?
    I will say when they DO identify the match usually is NOT 3rd cousin but 4th or 4th 1R
    update is that my tree is now 5,941 I'm playing the game
    3 Great GP 100% Ireland, 2 Great GP 100% Wales 7 GreatGreats 100% Ireland, 4 GreatGP 100% Wales ,3rdGreat GP Sweden,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-09-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post

So with this in mind..does anyone besides me have a clue as to how AncestryDNA's software determines who is a "Common Ancestor"? My 4-5 closest matches have multiple segments .. the closest (besides my 1/2 first cousin) has 3 large segments and the next person has 2 segments also large.. other large matches have been linked to a "Common Ancestor"..pretty accurately.. the one I'm waiting for is this:" 64 cM across 3 segments Unweighted shared DNA: 86 cM Longest segment: 52 cM"
    My theory is that the software cannot determine one common ancestor in that case?
    I will say when they DO identify the match usually is NOT 3rd cousin but 4th or 4th 1R
    update is that my tree is now 5,941 I'm playing the game
    Common ancestor hints are driven by information in trees and ThruLines will provide more than one hint when it finds information for multiple connections. I have a few matches with two correct hints but they depend on the information being in my tree and/or another detailed tree.. Donít forget that TIMBER tends to overdo things with Welsh testers so it can be difficult to gauge whether there are multiple connections.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-12-2022),  Kathlingram (05-09-2022),  msmarjoribanks (05-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    Common ancestor hints are driven by information in trees and ThruLines will provide more than one hint when it finds information for multiple connections. I have a few matches with two correct hints but they depend on the information being in my tree and/or another detailed tree.. Don’t forget that TIMBER tends to overdo things with Welsh testers so it can be difficult to gauge whether there are multiple connections.
    Thanks Phoebe! Yes some of mine with two segments of DNA have gotten a Common Ancestor .. the two that have not yet, the first one a man had helped me with the whole thing.He had Even Jones , his father and his son ( a very popular man for people Great GF) and assured me that was how I matched.. now realize he really went with his known Great, 2nd Great etc. NOT whether or not the DNA matched.. another man was much better at DNA and would rearrange things..
    Both felt I matched on a Jones line but apparently it was the wrong one.
    When My Grandfather's other granddaughter's match appeared I waited awhile to connect it.. They both helped me with his pedigree which was not well documented but we got there.. When I connected the Bio Grandfather his parents and finally his greats.. the matches "fell off" lol .. Most of them now have other "Common Ancestor" matches that I assume gives SOME deference to the DNA..
    My best Helper after that is a 4th cousin once removed who was a GP in Wales.. now lives maybe in UK but she does understand the genetics.. I put her link to ME in my Tree ( and vice versa) and it all works..
    So I just keep waiting.. maybe once a week an Ancestor pops up "out of the blue" BUT they are always known cousin matches that became reestablished.. One of them had JUST discovered that this ancestor existed.. "Salmon Jones" is one and Salmon Thomas is another.. they seem to be related and one Salmon Jones names his son Salmon Thomas... It's a lot to learn

Edit here: Since I wrote that I went back and see 2 of the Salmon's are duplicates.. REALLY a lot to learn!
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 05-09-2022 at 05:54 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-12-2022),  Phoebe Watts (05-09-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

I am learning to be careful not to mix up early Welsh ancestors with the new ones from the Bio Grandfather..
    Either my Ancestry DNA tree connected them or a clicked an update incorrectly
    It threw a lot of people up for query.. and I had a lot of things to fix.. SOME of which happened because one of my Welsh "helpers" had assisted me early on to try to figure out the Grandfather.. their assessment of my Great Grandfathers was incorrect .. they DO tie loosely in. He is great with trees but not with DNA matches
    Also I noticed that "Welsh Community" matches not tagged as such if not very close to 27%
    Kathy Ingram

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-20-2022),  msmarjoribanks (05-21-2022)

Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast