Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 654

Thread: Miscellaneous Welsh Odds and Ends

  1. #21
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,811
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    United Kingdom European Union
    Currently mine are 4x Davies, 4x Morgan, 3x Thomas, 2x Morris, 2x Owen, 2x Parry, Harris, Jones, Meredith, Powell, Price, Pritchard, Richards & Williams.

    There's a reason Welsh genealogy is such a struggle !!!

    My MDK MtDNA ancestor was a Mary Morgan born about about 1793 in Crickhowel, Crickhowel isn't a very large place by any stretch of the imagination so you would think it wouldn't be much of a challenge to push that line back a bit further ?

    Could be worse of course, I have an exact MtDNA match who's ancestor was a Mary Jones from Cardiff : )

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Cinnamon orange (03-10-2016),  Jessie (01-03-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-08-2016),  rms2 (03-08-2016)

  3. #22
    Legacy Account
    Posts
    7,362
    Sex
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    The Welsh, on the other hand, sing traditional hymns beautifully:-

    https://youtu.be/5iPqepdQhR8
    Makes me cry every time.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

     GMan71 (03-07-2016),  jdean (03-07-2016),  rms2 (03-07-2016)

  5. #23
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    302
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27 Rox2
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

    United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    Bowen, Jones, Garrett/Jarrett. Sister of the Bowen married a Williams. They were from the Nantyglo area, and my great grandmother spoke Welsh.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lirio100 For This Useful Post:

     Cinnamon orange (03-10-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-08-2016),  rms2 (03-08-2016)

  7. #24
    Registered Users
    Posts
    53
    Sex
    Location
    South Australia
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP706
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a2

    Australia Wales Aland Finland Germany England
    I have Powell, Griffiths and Morgan as "Welsh" surnames on the "Welsh" side of the family- as posted elsewhere while my mum was born in Wales her mums side was from western Herefordshire. Some English Bagley and Jeffrey in there as well. I can only go back into mid/early 1800's.

    Walters is my mums mums paternal line - while not "Welsh" as such it seems to have comparatively high frequency in southern Wales per 1891 census. I would like to think it was a "Welshman" with an Anglo name "Walter" that started that patronymic!

    I get lost amongst the "Morgan" surname when tracing my tree. I have Morgan in multiple family branches and Morgan's marrying Morgan's etc. My GGF married a Morgan, my GGGF married a Morgan and a GGGGF was a Morgan who married a Morgan.

    Unfortunately I don't know who my mothers father was - supposedly a businessman from Abergavenny. I guess I now pass the Welsh "not posh" tests in earlier posts

    As an aside - My dad has recently done FTDNA Family Finder so I can see who our common matches are - assume those who aren't are from mums side (she died when I was young so can't get her tested). I seem to have a lot of matches from mums side in the US bunched around Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama. Given my mum was born in early 1945 I'm wondering visiting US soldier?! Otherwise always a possibility of an ancestor or their sibling migrating to that part of the US.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMan71 For This Useful Post:

     Cinnamon orange (03-10-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-08-2016),  rms2 (03-08-2016)

  9. #25
    Registered Users
    Posts
    53
    Sex
    Location
    South Australia
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP706
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a2

    Australia Wales Aland Finland Germany England
    The Welsh, on the other hand, sing traditional hymns beautifully:-

    Sospan Fach was my favourite growing up - grew up in Australia but mum had a number of records we would listen to - I still have them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2aATYJKmPw
    Treorchy Choir

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TgTPv8brI
    Cerys Matthews

    and as Rugby was discussed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKHsOuPAxU
    Max Boyce - Pontypool Front Row. Afraid my "Welshness" is stuck in the 1970's! I still support Wales over Australia in the rugby.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMan71 For This Useful Post:

     Jean M (03-08-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-08-2016),  rms2 (03-08-2016)

  11. #26
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    Currently mine are 4x Davies, 4x Morgan, 3x Thomas, 2x Morris, 2x Owen, 2x Parry, Harris, Jones, Meredith, Powell, Price, Pritchard, Richards & Williams.

    There's a reason Welsh genealogy is such a struggle !!!

    My MDK MtDNA ancestor was a Mary Morgan born about about 1793 in Crickhowel, Crickhowel isn't a very large place by any stretch of the imagination so you would think it wouldn't be much of a challenge to push that line back a bit further ?

    Could be worse of course, I have an exact MtDNA match who's ancestor was a Mary Jones from Cardiff : )
    One of my possible ancestors, who I haven't been absolutely able to confirm 100% as yet, was a Jones who was a shepherd from Llangynidr (near Crickhowell). My paternal great grandmother was a Sabiah Jones and he had a daughter named Sibiah or Sabiah which is a pretty unusual Christian name.
    Crickhowell (Crug Hywel) is a lovely little town, not yet spoiled by modern life. I would strongly recommend The Bear Hotel, an old coaching Inn, to anyone visiting the area, dog-friendly too. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...a7SYr_j8hM-U5g

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (03-08-2016)

  13. #27
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    Makes me cry every time.
    You must have a Welsh soul then.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     Jean M (03-08-2016),  Robert1 (01-04-2018)

  15. #28
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirio100 View Post
    Bowen, Jones, Garrett/Jarrett. Sister of the Bowen married a Williams. They were from the Nantyglo area, and my great grandmother spoke Welsh.
    I live in Nantyglo, small World. Many of the earlier headstones in Hermon Chapel cemetery (Nantyglo) are in Welsh.

    June 2014 030.jpg

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (03-08-2016)

  17. #29
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan71 View Post
    I have Powell, Griffiths and Morgan as "Welsh" surnames on the "Welsh" side of the family- as posted elsewhere while my mum was born in Wales her mums side was from western Herefordshire. Some English Bagley and Jeffrey in there as well. I can only go back into mid/early 1800's.

    Walters is my mums mums paternal line - while not "Welsh" as such it seems to have comparatively high frequency in southern Wales per 1891 census. I would like to think it was a "Welshman" with an Anglo name "Walter" that started that patronymic!

    I get lost amongst the "Morgan" surname when tracing my tree. I have Morgan in multiple family branches and Morgan's marrying Morgan's etc. My GGF married a Morgan, my GGGF married a Morgan and a GGGGF was a Morgan who married a Morgan.

    Unfortunately I don't know who my mothers father was - supposedly a businessman from Abergavenny. I guess I now pass the Welsh "not posh" tests in earlier posts

    As an aside - My dad has recently done FTDNA Family Finder so I can see who our common matches are - assume those who aren't are from mums side (she died when I was young so can't get her tested). I seem to have a lot of matches from mums side in the US bunched around Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama. Given my mum was born in early 1945 I'm wondering visiting US soldier?! Otherwise always a possibility of an ancestor or their sibling migrating to that part of the US.
    I would think an American Serviceman is a distinct possibility. I think there were a lot of US troops based near Abergavenny in WW2. Many of course went to fight and never came back. Good luck with your search

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     GMan71 (03-08-2016)

  19. #30
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan71 View Post
    The Welsh, on the other hand, sing traditional hymns beautifully:-

    Sospan Fach was my favourite growing up - grew up in Australia but mum had a number of records we would listen to - I still have them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2aATYJKmPw
    Treorchy Choir

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TgTPv8brI
    Cerys Matthews

    and as Rugby was discussed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKHsOuPAxU
    Max Boyce - Pontypool Front Row. Afraid my "Welshness" is stuck in the 1970's! I still support Wales over Australia in the rugby.
    You might like this one then "Boycezone" singing "Bread of Heaven"

    https://youtu.be/6iimx4JA97U?list=PLCF68FA5751E13797

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     GMan71 (03-08-2016),  Robert1 (01-04-2018)

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Welsh and DF21
    By Reith in forum DF21
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 12:23 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2016, 05:24 PM
  3. Army's Anthropology Experiment Ends in Defeat
    By Erik in forum General Sociology/Ethnology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2015, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •