mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    I expect you're right but it's how Wales was reported that amused me : )
    Me too. I feel at home in Wales and Sardinia heightwise in particular (I'm tall in Sardinia). I like to think of myself as "fun size". My son is 17 and the same height as me and seems to have a complex about it. I never even thought about it at that age. I think Bristolians were shorter then than today's Kentish kids. Perhaps it was the proximity to Monmouthshire and the data (and genes) that John mentioned.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

jdean (06-29-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-30-2018),  rms2 (06-30-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    Me too. I feel at home in Wales and Sardinia heightwise in particular (I'm tall in Sardinia). I like to think of myself as "fun size". My son is 17 and the same height as me and seems to have a complex about it. I never even thought about it at that age. I think Bristolians were shorter then than today's Kentish kids. Perhaps it was the proximity to Monmouthshire and the data (and genes) that John mentioned.
    I'm actually quite tall as far as the Welsh are concerned but dwarfed by my cousins on my father's side, I'm taller than all my cousins on my mum's side though who all have more Welsh ancestry than me. However my paternal great grandfather who was 1/2 Welsh was a giant of a man who would be placed at the back of group photos next to people stood on chairs and he was still taller : )

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-29-2018),  rms2 (06-30-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I'm 6-1 and the eldest of my siblings. My brother Daniel, a year behind me, is 6-0, but our youngest brother, James (Jim) is 6-2. My sister Julie is about average height for a woman (5-5? 5-6?).

Our second great grandfather is described in a contemporary written record as a "giant", but I don't know exactly tall how he was. Probably well over six feet, judging from that appellation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I have some Civil War enlistment records that give height, so I was looking around at CW and WW1 draft records (and a couple of CW solider records) to see if I had any luck with the Welsh ancestors, but no. One of my Welsh immigrant ancestors (Owen Humphreys) registered for the draft (he was late 40s), but they didn't take down height. His youngest son registered for the WW1 draft (age 41), and was described as tall (blue eyes, light hair, medium build), but no numbers. My great-grandfather (son of Owen's daughter and her English-born husband (but of Shropshire Joneses) also registered for the draft and was described as tall, medium build, dark hair, grey eyes (I have some pictures of the English husband and his family and they were all quite dark-haired, but they aren't around non family members so I can't tell height).

On the other side (my Welsh Jones immigrants), I have a CW soldier with no height information in the records I have, and then in the next generation some WW1 records, medium height, dark hair, eye colors both blue and brown.

I do have access to a couple of (not great) photos of Owen, from which I can say he eventually had a white head of hair and beard, and was quite a bit taller than his wife. ;-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    On a totally different subject, I finished Margiad Evans' County Dance (recommended on this thread a couple days ago by JonikW), and it was great.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-30-2018),  JonikW (06-30-2018),  Saetro (07-01-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    You may not agree of course but I think a lot of the South Welsh are short, based on my own observations. My grandfather was a fair bit shorter than me and I'm on the shorter side. He must have only been about five foot five. Down the mines at 14 though and seriously never a day sick in his life. He died in his 80s too. I always felt I got my height from my Welsh ancestry. My mum was only five foot tall. ADD: on the diet side, I did eat instant mash a lot as a kid...
    I do agree that overall the Welsh do tend to be on the shorter side, not all of course. I guess part of this may be genetic, however I'm not sure how much environmental factors like diet and maybe even air quality ( I'm thinking of the former industrial areas) may have contributed to that. A lot of people moved into South Wales of course from other regions.
    My perception is that young people in this part of Wales are significantly taller than people were when I was young in the 1950's and 1960's but that is just my perception. My mother was 5 feet 2, (but not to be messed with ) my father about 5 feet 6. My uncle was 6 feet and that used to be considered tall in the old days. The minimum height for a man to join the police force was 5 feet 8 inches in the days when they tried to recruit taller men.
    If you look at the Welsh Rugby team compared with their English counterparts, (applies also to some other countries) the Welsh have always been smaller, maybe that's down to the English population being much larger so they have a bigger pool of players to select from. I don't think the size differences are quite as obvious these days though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm 6-1 and the eldest of my siblings. My brother Daniel, a year behind me, is 6-0, but our youngest brother, James (Jim) is 6-2. My sister Julie is about average height for a woman (5-5? 5-6?).

Our second great grandfather is described in a contemporary written record as a "giant", but I don't know exactly tall how he was. Probably well over six feet, judging from that appellation.
    I meet a lot of tall Americans. The only shorter one I've known is an Armenian American friend from New York who sees eye to eye with me in more ways than one! I always assumed the American tallness you see among typical US tourists here might sometimes be a Midwest Scandinavian or German thing. My Welsh family were all short. Maybe it was from generations of breeding them for mining. I felt right at home potholing deep underground on the Mendips at weekends as a kid. Just wanted to add, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book msmarjoribanks.
    Last edited by JonikW; 06-30-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-30-2018),  msmarjoribanks (06-30-2018),  rms2 (07-01-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I meet a lot of tall Americans. The only shorter one I've known is an Armenian American friend from New York who sees eye to eye with me in more ways than one! I always assumed the American tallness you see among typical US tourists here might sometimes be a Midwest Scandinavian or German thing. My Welsh family were all short. Maybe it was from generations of breeding them for mining. I felt right at home potholing deep underground on the Mendips at weekends as a kid. Just wanted to add, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book msmarjoribanks.
    Of course, we're not 100% Welsh. We do have quite a few Welsh lines in our pedigree, including our y-dna, surname line, but otherwise we're American mutts: Welsh, Scots, Irish, English, French, German Swiss, and Dutch.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-01-2018),  JonikW (07-01-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Of course, we're not 100% Welsh. We do have quite a few Welsh lines in our pedigree, including our y-dna, surname line, but otherwise we're American mutts: Welsh, Scots, Irish, English, French, German Swiss, and Dutch.
    My grandmother always said "mongrels" are healthiest. That was what she considered us to be.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

rms2 (07-01-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

My grandmother always said "mongrels" are healthiest. That was what she considered us to be.
    I'll never forget some years ago when a Polish woman told me I looked like, in her words, "Some sort of Irish mongrel."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-01-2018),  JonikW (07-01-2018),  msmarjoribanks (07-01-2018)

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast