I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Just saw one of these Welsh ads on a Flemish mystery/detective show I'm watching on More4. Made an unexpected change from the usual Lexus ads the channel screens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...s-12674528.amp
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-07-2019),  Phoebe Watts (01-07-2019),  [email protected] (01-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U106>DF98>BY650
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a

France Bretagne Trégor France Bretagne Kroaz Du
    I saw yesterday an exhibition of photos taken by a Welsh in the thirties: Jack K Neale, from Cardiff, born in 1911, son of a trawler owner of this port who falls literally in love with the schooner and other sailboats of Brittany before WW2). He does a lot of photographs: most of them were taken from the old basin (now extinct, I guess) with loading scenes, crew photos and wrecks on the coast of Wales. These photographs are a wonderful testimony to the lives of the latest sailing ships.

photo:Attachment 28489Dundee "Dixi" in the Cardiff Basin, he unloaded mining piles or his ballast and prepared to load coal. Almost all the tiny ports in my area were linked to this traffic.
    Last edited by Trelvern; 01-19-2019 at 09:46 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

jdean (01-19-2019),  JonikW (01-19-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-19-2019),  Phoebe Watts (01-19-2019),  Táltos (01-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelvern View Post
    I saw yesterday an exhibition of photos taken by a Welsh in the thirties: Jack K Neale, from Cardiff, born in 1911, son of a trawler owner of this port who falls literally in love with the schooner and other sailboats of Brittany before WW2). He does a lot of photographs: most of them were taken from the old basin (now extinct, I guess) with loading scenes, crew photos and wrecks on the coast of Wales. These photographs are a wonderful testimony to the lives of the latest sailing ships.

photo:Attachment 28489Dundee "Dixi" in the Cardiff Basin, he unloaded mining piles or his ballast and prepared to load coal. Almost all the tiny ports in my area were linked to this traffic.

Yet another thing that we have in common.

I remember being taken to visit lighthouses in Brittany too - so important for maritime communities.

Which reminds me that it’s St Dwynwen’s day on Friday. A Welsh equivalent of St. Valentine. But easier to make a restaurant reservation.

The church dedicated to Dwynwen is on Llanddwyn island on the south-west coast of Anglesey near the southern entrance to the Menai Strait. There are old lighthouses there too, as well as old, now restored, pilots’ cottages.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-19-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-19-2019),  Táltos (01-22-2019),  Trelvern (01-20-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Recessional hymn this morning was one I quite like -- Love Divine, All Loves Excelling, words by Charles Wesley. I happened to notice that in this version the music was by Rowland H. Pritchard and thought "nice Welsh name." Looked him up when I got home and discovered (thanks to wiki) that the full name is Rowland Huw Prichard (even better!) and he lived from 1811 to 1887, and was from Graienyn, near Bala, and lived most of his life in the area, although he served for a time as a loom tender's assistant in Holywell. Wiki says he is "remembered today as the composer of the hymn tune "Hyfrydol", to which the hymn "Hallelujah, Sing to Jesus", with words by William Chatterton Dix is generally sung." (That's the same tune.)

On looking up Love Divine, All Loves Excelling I learned something else I had not known:

"It first appeared in Wesley's Hymns for those that Seek, and those that Have Redemption (Bristol, 1747), apparently intended as a Christianization of the song "Fairest Isle" sung by Venus in Act 5 of John Dryden and Henry Purcell's semi-opera King Arthur (1691), on which Wesley's first stanza is modelled.

Wesley wrote:

Love Divine, all Loves excelling,
    Joy of Heaven to Earth come down,
    Fix in us thy humble Dwelling,
    All thy faithful Mercies crown;

Dryden had written:

Fairest Isle, all Isles Excelling,
    Seat of Pleasures, and of Loves;
    Venus here, will chuse her Dwelling,
    And forsake her Cyprian Groves.

In Dryden's song, the goddess of love chooses the Isle of Britain over her native Cyprus; in Wesley's hymn divine love itself is asked to choose the human heart as its residence over its native heaven."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (02-21-2019),  Phoebe Watts (02-17-2019),  rms2 (02-23-2019),  Saetro (02-18-2019),  [email protected] (02-17-2019),  Webb (03-25-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Hymn tunes must be one of our most significant exports! They say that this one was used by almost all denominations in Wales and England, as well as others world wide.

Wicipedia, the Welsh version, is a bit different with “O! llefara, addfwyn Iesu” William Williams Pantycelyn as the hymn most often used (with the Wesley hymn most often in English).
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (02-21-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-18-2019),  Webb (03-25-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    Grand Slam !!!!

Went to a B&Q superstore shortly after and I didn't have to queue even though only one till was open, think it was only me and the skeleton staff in the place : )

Fish and chips for tea : ))))

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

JonikW (03-16-2019),  msmarjoribanks (03-18-2019),  Phoebe Watts (03-16-2019),  rms2 (03-22-2019),  [email protected] (03-16-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Bumping in part because it's been a long time!

I think JonikW saiid he was able to identify county on YFull, and I wanted to ask about that, since for my dad they've only allowed me to say England, and I think Shropshire (bordering on Wales) is important, given the last name is Jones and the YDNA is L21.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-06-2019),  rms2 (05-07-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Bumping in part because it's been a long time!

I think JonikW saiid he was able to identify county on YFull, and I wanted to ask about that, since for my dad they've only allowed me to say England, and I think Shropshire (bordering on Wales) is important, given the last name is Jones and the YDNA is L21.
    If you pick the English flag you don't get the option to display a county. You only get that with the union jack. It's a shame because many English users are not displaying their known origin as a result.

Edit: just looked at my account again and can no longer see counties/regions for any flags including Sweden. Either I'm doing something wrong now or they've removed a useful feature.
    Last edited by JonikW; 05-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (05-07-2019),  rms2 (05-07-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    If you pick the English flag you don't get the option to display a county. You only get that with the union jack. It's a shame because many English users are not displaying their known origin as a result.

Edit: just looked at my account again and can no longer see counties/regions for any flags including Sweden. Either I'm doing something wrong now or they've removed a useful feature.
    Got it now. I can't see this detail through my own account right now (perhaps there is a way but I'm missing it). However, it does show if I search for a SNP on YFull through Google and enter the site that way.
    Here's me and my match, both showing our regions:
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-A21912/
    And here's our wider Z140 tree:
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-Z140/

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (05-07-2019),  rms2 (05-07-2019),  spruithean (05-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    There are some interesting odds and ends on the National Library of Wales blog - there is a Story of Wales category.

The latest is about Humphrey Llwyd, known as a cartographer, author, antiquary and Member of Parliament

https://blog.library.wales/humphrey_llwyd/

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-11-2019),  rms2 (05-14-2019),  [email protected] (05-11-2019)

Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast