mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    The histories of the settlement cite poverty and bad landlords. And it was a cultural movement building on some of the older emigrations to north America. There was a realisation that the Welsh settlements in north America were only surviving a couple of generations so they were looking for somewhere more isolated where they would be able to run their own affairs.

Merseyside and Manchester are just the north Wales equivalent of the South Wales valleys in this context. The emigrants from there were mostly recent inmigrants from the rural hinterland.

A popular minister went from Mountain Ash and some of his flock followed him in later years. Perhaps that was an influence? Mountain Ash was relatively new in the 1860s too so perhaps the population was still quite transient?I know that my great great grandfather left rural Carmarthenshire for Miskin in Mountain Ash in the 1860s. He went back marry and the family then lived in the Llantrisant area for a few months before returning to the south west.
    Interesting about the minister as a possible influence. You mention Llantrisant, which takes me straight back to childhood and visits to my mum's friend who lived there. Her husband made lovespoons (a subject we've touched on here before when I posted a pic of an 18th century one that belonged to my grandmother) and I admired his craftsmanship very much. He was extremely adept and some of the spoons had moveable balls within the handles. You're lucky to live in Wales still. Do you travel around the country much? I know that when I've lived in any given place I've often neglected the main attractions, but Wales really does have so much of beauty and historical interest everywhere. I only get back there once every year or so now, sadly.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (06-25-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    Interesting about the minister as a possible influence. You mention Llantrisant, which takes me straight back to childhood and visits to my mum's friend who lived there. Her husband made lovespoons (a subject we've touched on here before when I posted a pic of an 18th century one that belonged to my grandmother) and I admired his craftsmanship very much. He was extremely adept and some of the spoons had moveable balls within the handles. You're lucky to live in Wales still. Do you travel around the country much? I know that when I've lived in any given place I've often neglected the main attractions, but Wales really does have so much of beauty and historical interest everywhere. I only get back there once every year or so now, sadly.
    Not as much as I should. For a small country it is difficult to get around. I know the west more than the east but I have been to Mountain Ash and to Llantrisant. Not to Patagonia though, although it is quite fashionable!
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-15-2019),  msmarjoribanks (06-25-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Not as much as I should. For a small country it is difficult to get around. I know the west more than the east but I have been to Mountain Ash and to Llantrisant. Not to Patagonia though, although it is quite fashionable!
    I hope to see more of it again soon. I'd love to repeat some of my childhood drives around the country. Yes, Patagonia would be interesting. Huw Edwards made a TV programme on the Welsh community there a year or so back. His language skills were impressive.
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I've recently been exploring the Duolingo app, and was trying to decide between learning German, Swedish, or Welsh (German seemed the practical choice, but I've been doing Swedish, although I will likely do Welsh before my trip to Wales, which I keep putting off, as I'd like to be able to pronounce the towns my ggg grandparents came from correctly). They have all kinds of weird adverts (one aimed at trying to convince you to learn High Valerian), one that asserts that there are more learning Irish in Duolingo than native Irish speakers. No claims about Welsh so far,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-16-2019),  Phoebe Watts (06-17-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A14097
    mtDNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    Y-DNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c3

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall France
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I've recently been exploring the Duolingo app, and was trying to decide between learning German, Swedish, or Welsh (German seemed the practical choice, but I've been doing Swedish, although I will likely do Welsh before my trip to Wales, which I keep putting off, as I'd like to be able to pronounce the towns my ggg grandparents came from correctly). They have all kinds of weird adverts (one aimed at trying to convince you to learn High Valerian), one that asserts that there are more learning Irish in Duolingo than native Irish speakers. No claims about Welsh so far,
    Prynhawn da,

I've been using Duolingo for a while now, mostly for Irish and Welsh (and to brush up on my French and Dutch). I would ignore the ads for the fictional languages though

It's a decent app, maybe not necessarily perfect but it is good.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-16-2019),  msmarjoribanks (06-16-2019),  Phoebe Watts (06-17-2019),  [email protected] (06-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Posting this here because people interested in Wales may not have been monitoring posts about Ancestry. Their latest update has nailed my single biggest region: here's a map of places associated with my gg grandparents and further back, along with the only Very Likely Genetic Community they've just assigned me. If you are of Welsh descent, have you had similarly accurate results from Ancestry or others, or otherwise disappointing ones, which Ancestry was for me before this week?

Screenshot_20190622-114146-270x540.png

Screenshot_20190622-170457-270x540.png

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (06-25-2019),  [email protected] (06-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    Posting this here because people interested in Wales may not have been monitoring posts about Ancestry. Their latest update has nailed my single biggest region: here's a map of places associated with my gg grandparents and further back, along with the only Very Likely Genetic Community they've just assigned me. If you are of Welsh descent, have you had similarly accurate results from Ancestry or others, or otherwise disappointing ones, which Ancestry was for me before this week?.
    Perhaps I can add a subsidiary question? Does anyone score a Welsh community based on Welsh ggg grandparents or further? I know it will be difficult to generalise.

All my closest matches have a Welsh GC, including some 3C2Rs whose ancestors emigrated in the 1850s. My first match without a Welsh community is Wendy, a 4C1R. Two of her 2G grandparents emigrated in the 1850s from the same part of west Wales, they met on the journey and married in America.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-24-2019),  msmarjoribanks (06-25-2019),  rms2 (06-25-2019),  [email protected] (06-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Perhaps I can add a subsidiary question? Does anyone score a Welsh community based on Welsh ggg grandparents or further? I know it will be difficult to generalise.

All my closest matches have a Welsh GC, including some 3C2Rs whose ancestors emigrated in the 1850s. My first match without a Welsh community is Wendy, a 4C1R. Two of her 2G grandparents emigrated in the 1850s from the same part of west Wales, they met on the journey and married in America.
    Excellent question. I'd love to see how some of our American members fared. My only other GC region, a Possible reading for Wilts, Glos and W Oxfordshire actually does form some of my tree. This is largely through a Hawkins ancestor, born in the early 19th century illegitimately and who was given his mother's surname. The banns had been read for her to marry a "sojourner" called Harris, who I think was a navvy. So I guess he might take me back to Wales again.

Edit: just to clarify, my map didn't include locations for Welsh grandparents and g grandparents. That's because they had moved to Cwmbran and other parts to work in the mines. So although that area is meaningful to me from my childhood, it doesn't reflect my deeper ancestry.
    Last edited by JonikW; 06-24-2019 at 10:26 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27 Rox2
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    I have a great grandfather from Staffordshire and I have the Midlands but I don't have a GC for his wife, an immigrant from Wales. I would have thought if something showed up for him it would for her too.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lirio100 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-24-2019),  Phoebe Watts (06-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany

Not me, I think I'm like Wendy. My gg-grandmother (born in Wisconsin) was fully Welsh, her mother (came to US in 1849) was from Trefriw (then in Caernarvonshire) and her father (came to US in 1851) from Llangadfan (then Montgomeryshire), and her husband was likely part Welsh (but likely more borderlands, as the ancestry I know is Shropshire), and I have other likely Welsh ancestors, and I get no GC. I suspect that's partially because it's a variety of areas within Wales, but also that I don't have enough actual Welsh ancestors who have tested. My closest match in Wales is 4th-6th cousin (not yet placed), doesn't match my sister or first cousin on that side, and we have no shared matches that show in Ancestry. To the extent I have matches on that line in the US, they are related to me within the US.

But I don't quite get how GCs work for people in the US, as I have a great grandmother who was 100% Swedish (and her parents were from near each other and married in Sweden, although my g-grandmother was born soon after they came to the US), and I don't get a Swedish GC either. (Apologies as I know I've repeated this numerous times.)

I have somewhat recent English ancestry (gg-grandfather), but his ancestry is split between Essex and Shropshire, and the rest of my English ancestry is colonial (largely 1600s) and mixed no doubt, so I am not surprised I don't get a GC for any part of England. I think it can be hard for Americans to get GCs and I am always interested in which Americans get them (it seems easier for people in Canada and Australia -- I have a bunch of Canadian matches through my Essex ancestors, so I should see if they get anything, but it wouldn't be relevant to this thread as they aren't Welsh to my knowledge).
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 06-25-2019 at 04:55 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-25-2019),  Phoebe Watts (06-25-2019)

Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast