Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    I can't think of any Welsh records that would help without a bit more evidence.

There are books and articles written in Welsh in the 1800s about Welsh emigrants to America. They suggest that was only limited emigration to Canada from Wales up to the mid 1800s. These books were often written by ministers so what they mean is that there are no known Welsh chapels or communities and that Welsh emigrants joined English churches and chapels. I guess those individuals would probably be difficult to trace without some evidence within your family or a lucky DNA match.

The surnames Walsh or Welsh suggest a family of Welsh origins who had settled in Ireland. They would probably have arrived in Canada from Ireland (or from Liverpool if they emigrated in the 1800s).

Lewis is the only name in your list that is common in Wales. It does have an English source though so doesn't necessarily indicate Welsh origins.

You have a challenge here... I hope you find a solution.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (01-05-2018),  JMcB (01-03-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (01-03-2018),  msmarjoribanks (01-03-2018),  Robert1 (01-04-2018),  Saetro (01-03-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Speaking of books by ministers, I recently obtained (and am excited to read) "The Works of the Rev. Griffith Edwards: Parochial Histories of Llangadfan, Garthbeibio, and Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire, together with Welsh and English Poetry." It was published in 1895, and Edwards was the vicar of Llangafan from 1863, and apparently purports to give his understanding of the history of the region before then. I have ancestors who lived in Llangadfan and Llanerfyl (they went to the US (Wisconsin) in the late 1840s, although obviously other relatives stayed in Wales).

There's a good history of the Welsh settlement in the part of Wisconsin where they ended up (Columbia County) in one of the county histories that are pretty common from around the end of the 19th c/early 20th c in the US, at least in the midwest. Usually they try to go back to when the county was settled, although often little is known from early days (or at least about people who passed through, so there was no old-timer available to give his or her account or family history). That's one North American side source that could link to earlier sources -- don't know if Canada has similar books (and this settlement was later, from the 1840s mostly).

I'd be curious to try to link to Welsh books about emigrants, actually, and will give more information from the Columbia County account. I know one of the topics discussed is churches (they had a few Welsh language churches), so maybe there is something there. (My ancestors who went there were all from North Wales and apparently all had Welsh as their first language, and it seems as if the early community was largely Welsh-speaking.)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-03-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (01-03-2018),  Robert1 (01-04-2018),  [email protected] (01-03-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Speaking of books by ministers, I recently obtained (and am excited to read) "The Works of the Rev. Griffith Edwards: Parochial Histories of Llangadfan, Garthbeibio, and Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire, together with Welsh and English Poetry." It was published in 1895, and Edwards was the vicar of Llangafan from 1863, and apparently purports to give his understanding of the history of the region before then. I have ancestors who lived in Llangadfan and Llanerfyl (they went to the US (Wisconsin) in the late 1840s, although obviously other relatives stayed in Wales).

There's a good history of the Welsh settlement in the part of Wisconsin where they ended up (Columbia County) in one of the county histories that are pretty common from around the end of the 19th c/early 20th c in the US, at least in the midwest. Usually they try to go back to when the county was settled, although often little is known from early days (or at least about people who passed through, so there was no old-timer available to give his or her account or family history). That's one North American side source that could link to earlier sources -- don't know if Canada has similar books (and this settlement was later, from the 1840s mostly).

I'd be curious to try to link to Welsh books about emigrants, actually, and will give more information from the Columbia County account. I know one of the topics discussed is churches (they had a few Welsh language churches), so maybe there is something there. (My ancestors who went there were all from North Wales and apparently all had Welsh as their first language, and it seems as if the early community was largely Welsh-speaking.)
    Columbia County, Wisconsin was, as you say, a Welsh settlement. So you should find quite a few references in Welsh language sources. Y Drych, the weekly paper published in America is an obvious place to start. That's free online at http://newspapers.library.wales/home

Some of the books might be useful but difficult to get into, try:

Hanes Cymry America: a'u sefydliadau, eu heglwysi, a'u gweinidogion, ... from 1872 is online on Google books; also
    Emigration. Yr ymfudwr: yn cynnwys hanes America ac Australia; yn ... from 1854

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-03-2018),  Robert1 (01-04-2018),  [email protected] (01-03-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    N1c1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    H3b

Have there been any Roman Period Silurian remains found so far that might have some aDna left in them? It'd be interesting to see if there's any unique profiles compared to the general Bell Beaker derived populace or not.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homunculus For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-04-2018),  [email protected] (01-03-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    Have there been any Roman Period Silurian remains found so far that might have some aDna left in them? It'd be interesting to see if there's any unique profiles compared to the general Bell Beaker derived populace or not.
    I haven't come across anything but the Roman references to them appearing Iberian does make you wonder if there was anything distinctive about them.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-05-2018),  JonikW (01-04-2018),  Robert1 (01-04-2018),  Saetro (01-03-2018),  [email protected] (01-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    Two incomplete skeletons were found at Llanmelin Wood hillfort, thought to belong to the last phase of occupation (1st century BC to 1st century AD). These are the remains of an adult male and an adult female. My source is the slim Cadw book "Caerwent Roman Town". It doesn't say where the bones are now or when they were discovered.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

homunculus (01-05-2018),  JMcB (01-05-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (01-05-2018),  [email protected] (01-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirio100 View Post
    I did look a bit but there doesn't seem to be much on the distribution of the Rh factor. My mom is negative, I'm positive but my daughter is negative. Obviously I'm heterozygous for that trait, but she got the negative from her father too, and he is of entirely Irish ancestry.
    Next to the Basque region for RH negative, I believe the British Isles comes up as second largest number of RH negative folks.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (01-05-2018),  [email protected] (01-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    I'm a bad data point for extrapolation that's why I mentioned my daughter's father being all Irish ancestry. My mom does have English ancestry but she also has Swedish, Norwegian and German Jewish ancestors. My dad is from English, Welsh and German ancestry, but he's also the source of my Rh+ gene. As I said, I'm a bad data point!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lirio100 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-06-2018),  [email protected] (01-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I am A- like my mother. My father is O+. I have Welsh on both sides (my maternal grandmother was a Morris), but I think Scots ancestry tends to prevail in my mother's autosomal dna. My dad is the main source of my Welsh ancestry. Our surname (Stevens, originally probably Stephens) is Welsh, and my dad's mother was a Pierce. However, apparently my dad also inherited a lot of Scots autosomal dna from his maternal great grandmother, a Nicholson (originally Mac Nicol), at least judging from my DNA Circles at Ancestry. Luck of the autosomal crap shoot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-06-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I'm B-. My mom was B+ (but her mother was Rh - and lost her third child at birth as a result), and my dad is O-. B's somewhat uncommon in most of Europe, slightly more common in Sweden (10%) than the UK (8%), don't know what side of my mother's family it's from. Re the Rh negative, my maternal grandmother's family is largely Scots-Irish/English/Scottish, and father's largely Welsh and English.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

rms2 (01-06-2018)

Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast