Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Norman/French/Crusader genes in Lebanese Muslims?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America

    Norman/French/Crusader genes in Lebanese Muslims?



    Using the Eurogenes K15 averages... when compared to the Christians, you see higher NW and NE European affinities in Lebanese Muslims and Druze and it can only be attributed to the Crusades, Normans, and other West Europeans.

    "North Sea" peaks in Danes, Brits, Irish, Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians.
    "Atlantic" peaks in French Basques.
    "Baltic" peaks in Lithuania, but is present in Central European Germanic people also.
    "East Euro" is present throughout Europe and West Asia, but highest in Russia.

    From these, if you take the difference between Muslims/Druze and Christians, Lebanese Muslims should be around 4% Crusader and Druze around 3%. Adding some of the NE Euro in there, the difference is even higher. It is likely 5% of Lebanese Muslims' genes are of NW European, probably Norman or French origin.


    Lebanese Muslims:

    2.43% North Sea
    5.62% Atlantic
    2.09% Baltic
    1.22% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 8.05%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 3.31%

    Lebanese Christians:

    1.49% North Sea
    2.78% Atlantic
    1.14% Baltic
    0.71% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 4.27%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 1.85%

    Lebanese Druze:

    3.47% North Sea
    3.98% Atlantic
    1.43% Baltic
    1.52% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 7.45%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 2.95%

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,370
    Sex
    Location
    French Flanders
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a29a

    France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne
    Perhaps, or perhaps not.

    Remember that slavery were common in the Arabo-Muslim world, even recently (officially abolished only in 1963 in Arabia Saudia, in the 1980's in Mauritania), with Slaves from Russia (captured by Tatars, that's also why many Eastern Europeans hates Tatars and Turks).

    It could also be a founder effect (for Druzes).

    As it's only at low levels, it's not easy to understand exactly what happened.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by ffoucart View Post
    As it's only at low levels, it's not easy to understand exactly what happened.
    The elevated Atlantic suggests it to me.

  4. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,698
    Sex
    Location
    Brittany
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690
    mtDNA (M)
    H3s
    mtDNA (P)
    H3s

    Normandie France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    The elevated Atlantic suggests it to me.
    North sea, Baltic and East Euro are higher in the Muslim samples. That's probably due to the slavery
    Look at the Bedouin mtDNA results, they are very speaking ( in French)

    http://secher.bernard.free.fr/blog/i...ation-du-Qatar

    Atlantic is a mix of WHG and Near Eastern, difficult to know where it comes from !
    From a common Neolithic origin or from Atantic ?

    Normans are certainly more present in Sicily via some paternal lines.

  5. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,761
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S336
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c1

    Slaves from the Mediterranean and even North African admixture (Mozabites have over 10%) can elevate K15 Atlantic.

    This can't be solved with ADMIXTURE. K15 Armenians have North Sea as their highest "Euro" component and they certainly were not crusader-admixed. IBD-testing or something comparable is needed.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shaikorth For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-09-2016),  Helgenes50 (03-09-2016),  Tsakhur (03-09-2016)

  7. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    6,145
    Sex
    Location
    Australia
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

    Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post


    Using the Eurogenes K15 averages... when compared to the Christians, you see higher NW and NE European affinities in Lebanese Muslims and Druze and it can only be attributed to the Crusades, Normans, and other West Europeans.

    "North Sea" peaks in Danes, Brits, Irish, Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians.
    "Atlantic" peaks in French Basques.
    "Baltic" peaks in Lithuania, but is present in Central European Germanic people also.
    "East Euro" is present throughout Europe and West Asia, but highest in Russia.

    From these, if you take the difference between Muslims/Druze and Christians, Lebanese Muslims should be around 4% Crusader and Druze around 3%. Adding some of the NE Euro in there, the difference is even higher. It is likely 5% of Lebanese Muslims' genes are of NW European, probably Norman or French origin.


    Lebanese Muslims:

    2.43% North Sea
    5.62% Atlantic
    2.09% Baltic
    1.22% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 8.05%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 3.31%

    Lebanese Christians:

    1.49% North Sea
    2.78% Atlantic
    1.14% Baltic
    0.71% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 4.27%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 1.85%

    Lebanese Druze:

    3.47% North Sea
    3.98% Atlantic
    1.43% Baltic
    1.52% East Euro

    TOTAL NW EURO: 7.45%
    TOTAL NE EURO: 2.95%
    The normans where also in Albania for a long time, the albanians allied with the normans fighting against the venetians and byzantines

    A few years after the First Crusade, in 1107, the Normans under the command of Bohemond, Robert's son, landed in Valona and besieged Dyrrachium using the most sophisticated military equipment of the time, but to no avail. Meanwhile, they occupied Petrela, the citadel of Mili at the banks of the river Deabolis, Gllavenica (Ballsh), Kanina and Jericho. This time, the Albanians sided with the Normans, dissatisfied by the heavy taxes the Byzantines had imposed upon them. With their help, the Normans secured the Arbanon passes and opened their way to Dibra. The lack of supplies, disease and Byzantine resistance forced Bohemond to retreat from his campaign and sign a peace treaty with the Byzantines in the city of Deabolis.

    The further decline of Byzantine state-of-affairs paved the road to a third attack in 1185, when a large Norman army invaded Dyrrachium, owing to the betrayal of high Byzantine officials. Some time later, Dyrrachium—one of the most important naval bases of the Adriatic—fell again to Byzantine hands.


    There would be some impregnation of albanians by Normans after 80 odd years


    My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )


    Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna
    Son's mtDna = K1a4p

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

     Helgenes50 (03-09-2016)

  9. #7
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgenes50 View Post
    Normans are certainly more present in Sicily via some paternal lines.
    There is Western European R1b in Lebanon also. It is easier to quantify West Euro admixture in Lebanon than in Sicily because all Europeans have those components to begin with and it is uncertain when it arrived. In Lebanon, it's an anomaly relative to the region from which they live. Sicilians still plot more outlying than nearly anyone else in Europe despite having a few percentages of Western European DNA.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

     Helgenes50 (03-09-2016)

  11. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,698
    Sex
    Location
    Brittany
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690
    mtDNA (M)
    H3s
    mtDNA (P)
    H3s

    Normandie France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    There is Western European R1b in Lebanon also. It is easier to quantify West Euro admixture in Lebanon than in Sicily because all Europeans have those components to begin with and it is uncertain when it arrived. In Lebanon, it's an anomaly relative to the region from which they live. Sicilians still plot more outlying than nearly anyone else in Europe despite having a few percentages of Western European DNA.
    For the Norman presence in Sicily, I was thinking of the I1 Haplogroup.
    This one seems important, at least from what we can see on Eupedia.

    But I am not sure that all the soldiers in the Norman armies were of this origin.
    From what I know the chiefs were from Coutances in Lower Normandy
    To be exact from Hauteville la guichard

    https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Hau...1cb6057fa5837e

  12. #9
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgenes50 View Post
    For the Norman presence in Sicily, I was thinking of the I1 Haplogroup.
    This one seems important, at least from what we can see on Eupedia.

    But I am not sure that all the soldiers in the Norman armies were of this origin.
    From what I know the chiefs were from Coutances in Lower Normandy
    To be exact from Hauteville la guichard

    https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Hau...1cb6057fa5837e

    I1 in Sicily is more likely to be Gothic (Ostrogoth) rather than Norman, unless it is common in northern France also. Either way the autosomal impact on northwest Sicily is very small.

    I do see evidence of it in how Lebanese appear on Oracles though... Europeans score Lebanese Muslim well before Christian on their oracles.

  13. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,698
    Sex
    Location
    Brittany
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690
    mtDNA (M)
    H3s
    mtDNA (P)
    H3s

    Normandie France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    I1 in Sicily is more likely to be Gothic (Ostrogoth) rather than Norman, unless it is common in northern France also. Either way the autosomal impact on northwest Sicily is very small.

    I do see evidence of it in how Lebanese appear on Oracles though... Europeans score Lebanese Muslim well before Christian on their oracles.
    Do you know the subclades ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Medieval aDNA in Finland: R1b-L21 Crusader?
    By TigerMW in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-22-2021, 06:02 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2020, 12:03 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-25-2019, 08:52 AM
  4. Norman/French input into England since 1066
    By Molfish in forum Western
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 07:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •