Thread: Which is the most successful GEDMATCH calculator for verifying ancestry?

Which is the most successful GEDMATCH calculator for verifying ancestry?

I would like to post the results from my mom, three of her siblings and her mother, I have seen their GEDMATCH results on all calculators, but which one is most conclusive?

What I would like to know is if it is consistent with their father being German. I don't have his results, but is it possible to get a rough idea of what they might be, based on the results of the three siblings and the mother? They do say "anything your mother doesn't have comes from the father" but what if it is something that both the mother and the children have as their main component (such as West European on the Dodecad V3)?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boeck For This Useful Post:

brendavaldez (03-23-2016),  GMan71 (03-13-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeck View Post
    I would like to post the results from my mom, three of her siblings and her mother, I have seen their GEDMATCH results on all calculators, but which one is most conclusive?

What I would like to know is if it is consistent with their father being German. I don't have his results, but is it possible to get a rough idea of what they might be, based on the results of the three siblings and the mother? They do say "anything your mother doesn't have comes from the father" but what if it is something that both the mother and the children have as their main component (such as West European on the Dodecad V3)?
    There is no one "perfect" or "most accurate calculator". Each one was made for a different purpose and as such results will vary from calculator to calculator. Those with mostly European ancestry will find the Eurogenes calculators to be quite useful. The PuntDNAL calculators also do a good job. If you don't know much about your ancestry on paper, it can become guess work because there may not be a lot of consistency in the results.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

brendavaldez (03-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    There is no one "perfect" or "most accurate calculator". Each one was made for a different purpose and as such results will vary from calculator to calculator. Those with mostly European ancestry will find the Eurogenes calculators to be quite useful. The PuntDNAL calculators also do a good job. If you don't know much about your ancestry on paper, it can become guess work because there may not be a lot of consistency in the results.

I do know what my known ancestry on paper is:

Dad's mom: Norwegian

Dad's dad: German, French

Mom's mom: Irish, Belgian

Mom's dad: German

What I would like to determine is if their results are consistent with their ancestry

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    I do know what my known ancestry on paper is:

Dad's mom: Norwegian

Dad's dad: German, French

Mom's mom: Irish, Belgian

Mom's dad: German

What I would like to determine is if their results are consistent with their ancestry
    It's impossible!
    Your origins population are too close to each other.
    Someone who would be 100% of these countries, perhaps we could find a country that could match.
    But a mixture with very close countries: it is impossible
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

Paternal MTDNA: K1b2b
    The oldest K1b2 are Eastern European Mesolithic: Kunda Donkalnis5 (Lithuania), 6000 BC and Meso-Ene Lepenski Vir Lepe28 in Serbia, 5900 BC.
    The oldest K1b2b is Alt-3, Corded-Ware Germany (2500 BC)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-13-2016),  GMan71 (03-13-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    It's impossible!
    Your origins population are too close to each other.
    Someone who would be 100% of these countries, perhaps we could find a country that could match.
    But a mixture with very close countries: it is impossible
    I know those are similar countries. But what I would like to find out is if I'm 100% European or if there is Jewish, Native American, Roma, that kind of stuff. I want to be accurate when I tell people my ancestry
    Last edited by Boeck; 03-13-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    I know those are similar countries. But what I would like to find out is if I'm 100% European or if there is Jewish, Native American, Roma, that kind of stuff. I want to be accurate when I tell people my ancestry
    You're unlikely to get all of that from test results. You're going to have to find matches, likely multiple ones with haplogroups common to those populations, and look to see if you share segments on a particular spot on a chromosome/s. If you don't have a paper trail for those specific types of ancestry, it can be very hard to prove/disprove.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-13-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Dodecad K12b still holds a lot of value even today

When will someone create a calculator to match Haak K17 ( or was it K19 ...I cannot remember )

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna
    Son's mtDna = K1a4p