Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Romanian 23andme

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Lupul View Post

As you can see, even with high confidence levels the Balkan ...
    and a small chunk of something else either Slavic/Nordic
    Yes, the Balkan and generally the Southern European is very characteristic of what Romanians get. What you call Slavic would fall in the Eastern European category, which 23andme distinguishes from the Northwestern European. BTW, generally, Serbs have somewhat lower Southern European than Romanians, not higher, unless they are Romanians living in Serbia. I could be wrong about this.
    I know exactly where my Northwestern European admixture comes from (although 23andme flubs it); it is Austrian. Same goes for the Eastern European: it is Slovak and Lithuanian. Do you know where your Eastern European comes from, or are you just guessing? In any case, you have very little of it. BTW, I have found that when people resort to myth-making, that's just a way of admitting they don't know the answer.
    If you want to show off your Global 25 models in other threads, that would be nice too.
    Last edited by Fungene; 06-20-2018 at 03:13 AM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Fungene View Post
    Do you know where your Eastern European comes from, or are you just guessing?
    As it stands right now I am mostly guessing. I am hoping when my father's results come in it will give me some kind of idea. On 23andme they give me "two dots" for Hungary in Eastern European and one dot for Russia, Ukraine, and Slovakia but generally I don't know how reliable those "dots" are. Also as you may know parts of Romania were at one point under Hungary and Austro-Hungary's rule so many Hungarians moved east into what is not central/western Romania so it could be that those people (and their descendants) who migrated back when all three territories of Romania were united might be contributing to that "Eastern Europe" segment. Hopefully I'll find out in the next few weeks and I'll run a bunch of Admixture calculators on my father's raw results to maybe get a better idea of where in Eastern Europe the DNA comes from because as you said now, I am mostly guessing.

What you call Slavic would fall in the Eastern European category, which 23andme distinguishes from the Northwestern European
    Indeed, that's why I didn't know whether my father's side might have been Slavic or Nordic I just thought they might be either with their blue eyes and blonde hair.

If you want to show off your Global 25 models in other threads, that's be nice too.
    Yea, most definitely will. I just need to find them haha, still fairly new to the website!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    It's time for another update. Please bear in mind that due to 23andme's current design, my results will figure on each screenshot. They are in the 1st column.

66. Eastern Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: HV0

67. Western Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: H

68. Southern Romania Y-DNA: R-M417, mtDNA: U5b1e

69. Southern Romania Y-DNA: R-U152, mtDNA: H

70. Western Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: X2e

71. Eastern Romania Y-DNA: I-L460, mtDNA: T

72. Western Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: X2e

73. Southern Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: J1c2c

74. Southern Romania Y-DNA: N/A, mtDNA: X2b4
    Dorkymon: Please let us know what steps you took to secure these individuals' consent to having their results posted to a public forum.
    As far as I can tell, we can be sure that only three individuals in this thread have voluntarily posted their 23andme results, and I am one of them.

The situation in this thread is very different from the "23andMe Ancestry Composition Results" thread. In that thread people are posting their own results, or the results of close family members, from which we can assume they have received consent.

I have just recently ceased to participate in DNA relatives in 23andme. This is a direct consequence of my having realized that we have not yet received any explanation of what means were taken to collect the information posted in this thread that does not belong directly to either Dorkymon, Lupul, or me.

Lack of attention to the interests of individuals who have not chosen to participate in this Forum has the chilling effect of reducing participation, rather than encouraging it. And I mean participation not only in this Forum, but also in DNA relatives in 23andme. I have been trying very hard to encourage people to test with 23andme. I now understand their reticence.
    I wish to encourage broad participation, but it has to be done responsibly. And thus, we are still owed an explanation of the process by which information posted in this thread was obtained, and the steps taken to secure the approval of the individuals at stake.
    Last edited by Fungene; 06-22-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Dorkymon: Please let us know what steps you took to secure these individuals' consent to having their results posted to a public forum.
    As far as I can tell, we can be sure that only three individuals in this thread have voluntarily posted their 23andme results, and I am one of them.

The situation in this thread is very different from the "23andMe Ancestry Composition Results" thread. In that thread people are posting their own results, or the results of close family members, from which we can assume they have received consent.

I have just recently ceased to participate in DNA relatives in 23andme. This is a direct consequence of my having realized that we have not yet received any explanation of what means were taken to collect the information posted in this thread that does not belong directly to either Dorkymon, Lupul, or me.

Lack of attention to the interests of individuals who have not chosen to participate in this Forum has the chilling effect of reducing participation, rather than encouraging it. And I mean participation not only in this Forum, but also in DNA relatives in 23andme. I have been trying very hard to encourage people to test with 23andme. I now understand their reticence.
    I wish to encourage broad participation, but it has to be done responsibly. And thus, we are still owed an explanation of the process by which information posted in this thread was obtained, and the steps taken to secure the approval of the individuals at stake.
    If you think that you can trace these results to a name then good luck, because you will need it.
    Also if you think that anyone cares that X is 5% Y then again good luck deriving any potential damage from that.

That's public data, as 23andme clearly stipulates. Users have the option not to share, if they are scared of leaks. And I've never given out a name. So, you are literally looking at some random numbers, which don't trace back to anyone.

Thus, you are really being overly dramatic.
    But I encourage you to do the same through the more ethical approach. Pointing fingers at and throwing blames around is easy, but you also benefited from this info, as you have previously stated.
    Last edited by Dorkymon; 06-22-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.5% South Euro (41.8% Balkan), 22.4% East Euro, 7.3% Northwest Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi, 14.7% Broadly Euro, 1.8% East Asian
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

euasta (08-26-2018),  lukaszM (07-04-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

You did not respond to the question, and much of what you wrote is irrelevant.
    Clearly, you do not understand informed consent and the right to privacy.
    For some of us, it's part of our usual responsibilities to make sure we abide by these rights.
    Here are 23andme's policies:
    https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

You are not 23andme. If you cannot ensure that informed consent was provided to you by the people whose information you use in this thread and in general in this Forum, the correct response is simply to have the information at stake scrubbed. That is the nondramatic response.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    You did not respond to the question, and much of what you wrote is irrelevant.
    Clearly, you do not understand informed consent and the right to privacy.
    For some of us, it's part of our usual responsibilities to make sure we abide by these rights.
    Here are 23andme's policies:
    https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

You are not 23andme. If you cannot ensure that informed consent was provided to you by the people whose information you use in this thread and in general in this Forum, the correct response is simply to have the information at stake scrubbed. That is the nondramatic response.
    You don't seem to understand that a member has to make a conscious decision to accept to make their results public, irrespective of the tool; be it Relatives or Share and Compare.
    If that prerequisite is not met, then they will stay private.

"In general, Personal Information, once shared or disclosed, can be difficult to contain or retrieve. 23andMe will have no responsibility or liability for any consequences that may result because you have released or shared Personal Information with others."

Anyway, you are free not to visit this thread if you feel morally superior to such usual practices in this community.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.5% South Euro (41.8% Balkan), 22.4% East Euro, 7.3% Northwest Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi, 14.7% Broadly Euro, 1.8% East Asian
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    This is just a notice for anyone who might want to backup something from this thread.
    I have raised it for deletion, so expect it to disappear soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

td120 (06-22-2018)

Generic Mod Account
    Sex
    Omitted

Thread closed
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content Discuss respectfully Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) English language only in main forum area PM 'Moderator' or 'Administrator' accounts for basic maintenance tasks (not personal accounts) PM AdminBot regarding member ban info or forum inquiries

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910