Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-A13243
    mtDNA
    H1e2

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Hello Leonardo,

Would you mind telling me in what ways BigY & Yfull were able to help you out. I'm curious to know what practical benefits can be had from the two. For example, I'm interested in tracking the geographical movements of my paternal ancestors and roughly pinpointing the time frames they occurred in. Were you able to glean any information along those lines? Or did it help you in other ways?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA
    H1c9a

Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    Hello Leonardo,

Would you mind telling me in what ways BigY & Yfull were able to help you out. I'm curious to know what practical benefits can be had from the two. For example, I'm interested in tracking the geographical movements of my paternal ancestors and roughly pinpointing the time frames they occurred in. Were you able to glean any information along those lines? Or did it help you in other ways?
    Well, my paternal grandfather is unknown. Everything I have learned about him comes from autosomal and y-dna testing. While the autosomal is more beneficial overall (I recently received a 2nd-3rd cousin match at Ancestry DNA; I am still waiting for the match, who has no family tree listed, to reply), the y-dna has helped shore up some things. My "closest" y-dna match shares a common ancestor at 700 years. Distant, for certain, but to be honest, I never thought I would get this close. I contacted the administrator of that account and requested she submit the results to YFull, which she most graciously did. The most distant common ancestor for this match is probably about 100 km or so from where autosomal results results indicate my paternal grandfather's ancestors may have originated. Furthermore, the y-dna test confirmed that my paternal y-dna ancestry is Slavic in origin, most likely West Slavic, and that my unknown ancestral surname may well be Germanic, as opposed to Slavic (on the autosomal side, there is a mix; om the y-dna side, the nearest from about 500 CE seems to be Germanic, a further indication, for me, that the origin is likely West Slavic). I y-dna tested only a few years ago. Hopefuly more is to come. Small steps, small victories, but, for me, something on which I can hang my hat and motivate me to keep researching.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-16-2016),  Mixed (05-14-2017),  psaglav (06-16-2016)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-A13243
    mtDNA
    H1e2

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Hello Leonardo,

Very interesting and thank you for passing that along. I'm actually more interested in deeper ancestry and geographical migrations and it looks like it may be helpful in that regard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

leonardo (06-17-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Family Tree DNA- Family Finder test on sale for $69! https://www.familytreedna.com/

Bundle packages also available with Family Finder. https://dna-explained.com/2016/08/02...-more-bundles/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (02-27-2018),  Star93 (08-03-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Russian Federation United Kingdom Finland Germany Ukraine Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Well, my paternal grandfather is unknown. Everything I have learned about him comes from autosomal and y-dna testing. While the autosomal is more beneficial overall (I recently received a 2nd-3rd cousin match at Ancestry DNA; I am still waiting for the match, who has no family tree listed, to reply), the y-dna has helped shore up some things. My "closest" y-dna match shares a common ancestor at 700 years. Distant, for certain, but to be honest, I never thought I would get this close. I contacted the administrator of that account and requested she submit the results to YFull, which she most graciously did. The most distant common ancestor for this match is probably about 100 km or so from where autosomal results results indicate my paternal grandfather's ancestors may have originated. Furthermore, the y-dna test confirmed that my paternal y-dna ancestry is Slavic in origin, most likely West Slavic, and that my unknown ancestral surname may well be Germanic, as opposed to Slavic (on the autosomal side, there is a mix; om the y-dna side, the nearest from about 500 CE seems to be Germanic, a further indication, for me, that the origin is likely West Slavic). I y-dna tested only a few years ago. Hopefuly more is to come. Small steps, small victories, but, for me, something on which I can hang my hat and motivate me to keep researching.
    Sounds very similar to my circumstances. My Paternal is Slavic but name is Germanic. I have hundreds of Slavic matches at two testing services.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA
    H1c9a

Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    Sounds very similar to my circumstances. My Paternal is Slavic but name is Germanic. I have hundreds of Slavic matches at two testing services.
    Having tested with FTDNA, 23andMe and Ancestry DNA, I have researched my autosomal matches to the point that it appears my paternal grandfather's ancestry was likely from Kashubia. Their surnames often appear to be Germanic. Many settled in Germanic communities upon their arrival. Kashubian communities did arise. I have a great deal of matches with individuals from some of these places: Stevens Point and Portage County (hello Lil' Bit's mother in-law who is a distant cousin), Detroit, Buffalo and Pittsburgh. I have received a few 3rd cousin matches recently which continues to encourage me.

Registered Users
    Sex

Gencove is $59.99.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1:Z92FGC46016
    mtDNA
    J1c3k

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    Dante Labs has a sale on Whole Genome Sequencing WGS - 399€ until 31 March 2018.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    J1c3k

DanteLabs has a sale again - Whole Genome Sequencing WGS for 399€. No end date is stated.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    J1c3k

299€ WGS

DanteLabs ssems to have an summer sale - WGS WHole Genome Sequencing for 299€:
    https://www.dantelabs.com/collection...ome-sequencing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12