British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland

SNP Pack to be released for L2!

Just got this announcement in an email from FTDNA:

"Exciting news for members of the R1b-L2 Haplogroup!

With assistance from Mike Walsh, Family Tree DNA is pleased to announce the introduction of our new R1b-L2 SNP Pack with a comprehensive list of the essential SNPs for this branch of the R1b-L2 Haplogroup. The purpose of this test is to identify your terminal SNP on the Y-DNA Tree of mankind."

Hopefully, we might see it on sale on DNA Day.
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DillonResearcher For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (04-19-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>R-BY115665
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

United Kingdom European Union England
    Also just received this. Was on the verge of ordering Big Y. Should I now stick to the pack instead?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    I'm in the same situation as you in terms of being about to order Big Y. I'm probably still going to go for Big Y though since the SNP pack won't cover everything under L2 and given my luck with testing in the past I'd imagine that my SNPs below L2 won't be covered!

Also, if I don't order Big Y I'll probably spend a similar amount of money on SNP packs and individual SNPs in the long run.
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DillonResearcher For This Useful Post:

Ravai (04-17-2016),  wombatofthenorth (04-19-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    While every one has their own budget I'm really happy with my Big Y. I have two known steps below L2 that are fairly rare which takes me to roughly 4500 BC. Then I have 30 more SNPs after that which take me to 1730.

The SNP pack will only take you as far forward as the SNPs in the pack. With the Big Y my hope is that this group of 30 undated SNPs will gradually be picked apart as other testers show up who test positive for 20 and negative for 10 or some other combination. Slowly we can build the tree out to cover the most recent few millenia.

Provided they also test Big Y or Y Elite and that these men actually exist. Haha, you never know if you're last living member of an ancient group founded 2000 years ago.
    Last edited by Osiris; 04-16-2016 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (04-16-2016),  Ravai (04-17-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by DillonResearcher View Post
    Just got this announcement in an email from FTDNA:

"Exciting news for members of the R1b-L2 Haplogroup!

With assistance from Mike Walsh, Family Tree DNA is pleased to announce the introduction of our new R1b-L2 SNP Pack with a comprehensive list of the essential SNPs for this branch of the R1b-L2 Haplogroup. The purpose of this test is to identify your terminal SNP on the Y-DNA Tree of mankind."

Hopefully, we might see it on sale on DNA Day.

STOP using the phrase "terminal SNP". You are not doing full y-chromosome testing of the individual, brothers, uncles, father.. to find the most recent SNP. The community needs to wipe that phrase from its lexicon. You are potentially identifying the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by Cofgene View Post
    STOP using the phrase "terminal SNP". You are not doing full y-chromosome testing of the individual, brothers, uncles, father.. to find the most recent SNP. The community needs to wipe that phrase from its lexicon. You are potentially identifying the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time.
    What is the official term or most understood term for " the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time"?

I've used the phrase "my current terminal SNP" which acknowledges the temporary nature of this designation.

If there is another agreed upon term I will start using that instead, but using " the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time"? is not practical...it's a mouthful. Maybe TLCSSTIKATT

But if there isn't an accepted/recognized term, how about "The most recent known SNP" TMRKS?

Goes along with The most recent common ancestor TMRCA
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 04-16-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    Spain
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>BY3485
    mtDNA (M)
    H65

Italy Spain Andalucia
    Hi All,

If the pocket allows , the best option is Big-Y.

Regards
    Paternal: R1b-U152+ L2+ BY4245+ BY3485+ BY3478+ , Giovanni Domenicus Rabai, b. 1609, Savona, Italy
    Maternal: Haplogroup H65, María García Martínez, b. 1746, Cuenca, Spain

Manuel David Rabaez 1974, Manuel Rabaez 1948, Manuel Rabaez 1912, Antonio Rabay 1868, Antonio Rabay 1833, Manuel Rabay 1791, Manuel Rabay 1764, Pedro Rabai 1727, Pedro Joseph Rabai 1691, Giovanni Battista Rabai 1647, Jo. Domenicus Rabai 1609, Pietrus Rabai (work in progress...)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    What is the official term or most understood term for " the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time"?

I've used the phrase "my current terminal SNP" which acknowledges the temporary nature of this designation.

If there is another agreed upon term I will start using that instead, but using " the last commonly shared SNP that is known at this time"? is not practical...it's a mouthful. Maybe TLCSSTIKATT

But if there isn't an accepted/recognized term, how about "The most recent known SNP" TMRKS?

Goes along with The most recent common ancestor TMRCA
    I empathize with Cofgene's position and certainly the word "terminal" does not make one feel good as we age. However, this is a standard term the industry and academia have dealt us. It is difficult thing to re-institute new terminology unless you have the bully pulpit or huge advertising budget. We don't, so I will use word terminal haplogroup as well.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Bdeed View Post
    Also just received this. Was on the verge of ordering Big Y. Should I now stick to the pack instead?
    Do the Big Y, for sure. It's the only way to discover your own line of SNPs and get the on the board with FTDNA so your SNPs can be included in future fixed SNP packs.

I posted this in the U152 category with some specific information and the SNP position details for L2.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...l=1#post151715

Keep in mind this is not the L2 everything pack. It is the L2 top layer and misc. subclades pack. It is intended to help people who are L2+ or L2+ and lightly downstream tested to find their current terminal haplogroup. The downstream SNPs of Z367 and Z49 are NOT included. They will get their own specialized packs.

You could think of the L2 pack as the R1b-L2 (xZ367 xZ49) pack although Z367, the SNP, and Z49, the SNP, are included as pointer/bridge SNPs to their more respective more specialized packs.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TigerMW For This Useful Post:

Pigmon (04-20-2016),  wombatofthenorth (04-19-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    I empathize with Cofgene's position and certainly the word "terminal" does not make one feel good as we age. However, this is a standard term the industry and academia have dealt us. It is difficult thing to re-institute new terminology unless you have the bully pulpit or huge advertising budget. We don't, so I will use word terminal haplogroup as well.
    Yes after posting the above I posted the following in another thread yesterday.
    According to ISOGG "terminal SNP" is proper to describe this situation.

"A terminal SNP is the defining SNP of the latest subclade known by current research"...So why do we need a new term again?

As this is the common understanding of the "terminal SNP", maybe an easier solution is a term to distinguish between latest known by research and the no kidding last SNP in a line.

As I said in another thread I include the term "current" before "terminal SNP" i.e. "my current terminal SNP" to indicate that this is what is currently known. Maybe include the term "final terminal SNP" to indicate that this line has been fully researched.

If those are too long one could abbreviate it to CT-SNP and FT-SNP.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...551#post151551
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

Pigmon (04-20-2016)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast