Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study suggests pessimism makes you live longer.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R>U106>FGC3883
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b [RSRS]

England Wales Ireland Sweden

Study suggests pessimism makes you live longer.

Probably not really worth it, anyway. But here goes....

"Older people who have low expectations for a satisfying future may be more likely to live longer, healthier lives than those who see brighter days ahead, according to new research published by the American Psychological Association."

Click here to read more about this story.

Clinton P
    • FullGenomes ID:....FG1048A
    • YFull ID :...............YF01371 & YF02740

y-DNA
    Hg: R-U106 > Z2265 > BY30097 > FGC3861 > Z8053 > S1855 > S1859 > FGC3883........
    Shorthand: R-FGC3883

mt-DNA
    Hg: H2a2b
    Extra Mutations: 309.1'C', 315.1'C', A16235'G', T16357'C', C16519'T'.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clinton P For This Useful Post:

AJL (06-03-2016),  History-of-Things (03-01-2013),  leonardo (11-20-2016),  utR! (03-02-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L1228 (my dad)
    mtDNA (M)
    V10b2
    mtDNA (P)
    v

England Denmark Ireland Scotland
    I have always been an optimist, when things have been a bit desperate I just think oh well it wont last things will get better soon, and they always do.

I would not want my mind full of doom and gloom. I have high expectations for the furture. I`M DOOMED

basque
    Me: Susan Cotton Ackroyd mito hg V10b2. Gedmatch: DT6812170 testing companies FTDNA: 23&me: Living DNA

My dad Maurice Arthur Cotton Y-DNA I-L1228. L1227-L1228+L623-L801-CTS9183- Mito hg V Gedmatch: XL1021420 testing company FTDNA

My cousin William Bainbridge Y DNA R-U150 subclade R-Z150 Mito hg H3g1 Gedmatch:TX8645666 testing company Living DNA

Yorkshire, Lancashire, Birmingham Warwickshire, Worcestershire, London, Denmark, Cumbria, Scotland

Floss Stretch Lift Weights Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basque For This Useful Post:

Clinton P (03-01-2013),  MikeWhalen (03-13-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4

Finland
    I have a coworker who is, who knows most pessimistic person I have ever met. If you say something positive she can turn it into negative. Also it affects to others. If you give normal orders there comes a lot of explanations but in the end she has to obey.

utR!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to utR! For This Useful Post:

basque (03-01-2013),  Clinton P (03-01-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I didn't see any numbers in the report -- so we don't necessarily know how great the difference between the "pessimists" and the "optimists". But the truth is, if I'm 30 and I predict I'll be dead in 30 years, most would say I'm pessimistic. But if I made the same prediction at 65, I'm not pessimistic, but realistic.

The study doesn't tell us that the "pessimistic" group would really be like "the most pessimistic person I have ever met". All we know is that in the study, they're less optimistic than the most optimistic ones. But maybe if we knew the actual numbers, we'd simply say the top two groups were just "dreamers". Of course, I personally would have expected the middle group to live the longest, which does not seem to be the case -- although they apparently did live longer than the most optimistic.

But again, if you're 65 and you say "my health will go downhill in the next 10 years" -- sadly, you have a better chance of being right than if you're 20. And if it doesn't ... well, I know I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. But I don't really see myself as a pessimist, but more as a realist "Doo doo" happens. That's why there are wipes.
    Last edited by geebee; 03-02-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4

Finland
    This topic just made me think about a pessimistic person I'm working with every day. It also gives me something to think what kind of person I'm in my "age group". I think it is little to do with your character too. Not all old people are pessimistic rather realistic. But one thing is quite normal that when you do get older you won't get any younger or healthier than you were in your 20-30.

Although I do know certain thingsare getting worser, still I have a hope. You can not trust on dreams either, some come true most of them not which are unrealistic perhaps. Pessimism is not all so bad it can lead to good changes.

utR!

Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    I didn't see any numbers in the report -- so we don't necessarily know how great the difference between the "pessimists" and the "optimists". But the truth is, if I'm 30 and I predict I'll be dead in 30 years, most would say I'm pessimistic. But if I made the same prediction at 65, I'm not pessimistic, but realistic.

The study doesn't tell us that the "pessimistic" group would really be like "the most pessimistic person I have ever met". All we know is that in the study, they're less optimistic than the most optimistic ones. But maybe if we knew the actual numbers, we'd simply say the top two groups were just "dreamers". Of course, I personally would have expected the middle group to live the longest, which does not seem to be the case -- although they apparently did live longer than the most optimistic.

But again, if you're 65 and you say "my health will go downhill in the next 10 years" -- sadly, you have a better chance of being right than if you're 20. And if it doesn't ... well, I know I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. But I don't really see myself as a pessimistic, but more as a realistic. "Doo doo" happens. That's why there are wipes.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Yes, the bad thing about being a pessimist is you can make yourself unhappy before you have any real reason to be. On the other hand, if you expect the worst -- you can either be happy because you're proven wrong, or you can tell everybody "I told you so" if you're proven right.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (06-03-2016),  basque (03-02-2013),  Clinton P (03-02-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R>U106>FGC3883
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b [RSRS]

England Wales Ireland Sweden
    This talk about optimism and pessimism reminds me of the engineers joke....

A pessimist says that the glass is half empty.
    An optimist says that the glass is half full.
    An engineer says that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Although this is a joke, it is very true about the way that engineers think (myself included).

Clinton P
    • FullGenomes ID:....FG1048A
    • YFull ID :...............YF01371 & YF02740

y-DNA
    Hg: R-U106 > Z2265 > BY30097 > FGC3861 > Z8053 > S1855 > S1859 > FGC3883........
    Shorthand: R-FGC3883

mt-DNA
    Hg: H2a2b
    Extra Mutations: 309.1'C', 315.1'C', A16235'G', T16357'C', C16519'T'.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton P For This Useful Post:

AJL (06-03-2016),  basque (03-02-2013)

Yes I completly agree with u, if a person expects anything and If that particular thing went wrong, then a person becomes unhappy.
    Before taking any apartment on the rent its important to know its Hidden Content i.e rental price of that apartment.

Sex

I can see how this can make some sense. If someone is a pessimist, they might be more open to change, such as eating habits, lifestyle changes etc while an optimist might just keep on going with their daily routine because they feel like everthing they're doing is fine the way it is

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SC11 For This Useful Post:

AJL (06-03-2016),  lgmayka (06-02-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA (M)
    I3b (FMS)

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GTC For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-02-2016),  Amerijoe (06-02-2016),  discreetmaverick (06-03-2016),  DMXX (06-02-2016),  GoldenHind (11-20-2016),  lgmayka (06-02-2016),  Lirio100 (11-20-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast