Thread: Does Chromo2 show matches?

Registered Users
    Sex

Does Chromo2 show matches?

Hello,

Does the Chromo2 test show your matches? How does it work?

I am mainly interested in Y-DNA matches.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Abdulaziz For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-02-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    No, no Y matches. I have never seen any mention of matches on their website or from any of their users.
    Read up on the possible tests from the correspondence on this site, or from ISOGG, in this case at:
    http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_SNP_testing_chart and
    http://www.isogg.org/wiki/BritainsDNA
    The area of DNA can be confusing to anyone, and commercial claims are often hard to judge, so an independent site like ISOGG is useful. There is one update to their information - the testing lab has recently taken over management.

The only tester doing Y matches as far as I am aware is FTDNA.
    And it is worth starting with the 37 marker STR test.
    That will give you some matches.
    It will also provide a good estimate of your Haplogroup.
    Then you can decide whether you want to go further on that.

If you do, then the Chromo2 test may possibly be useful.
    This lab pioneered a number of useful SNP markers for those of British origins.
    (Some were discovered independently elsewhere, or renamed by other labs under their own systems - so there are different names used.)

FTDNA has Projects for Haplogroups run by volunteers who can help you decide what additional testing might be useful.

I am guessing from your online name that your Y line was not in the UK 200 or more years ago.
    Neither was mine, and the Project for my rather rare Y haplogroup has many members from elsewhere.

DNA can be complex. Read up on the areas you are interested in. More heavily if you are expecting to pay for an expensive test.
    Asking your question here is good.
    Check FAQs and forums and advice areas at the test companies you are considering (and here).
    If you still are not sure of what you will get, then ask the testing company directly (make it clear that you have checked their online info first). Make sure your question is specific, so that their answer will be clear.

Good luck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

AJL (05-02-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-02-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-U106, Z156, S5512

STR matches can be deceiving. The signature marker for R-U106 is out in the 64th marker. A 37 marker STR test can give you false matches. Most of my exact matches were in another haplo group or subgroup. The only exact match was a known distant cousin with the same surname. After two SNP test I finally have a terminal SNP of R-S5512. The only other person in this subgroup is a genetic distance of six just in the first 12 markers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mailman For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-02-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    STR matches can be deceiving. The signature marker for R-U106 is out in the 64th marker. A 37 marker STR test can give you false matches. Most of my exact matches were in another haplo group or subgroup. The only exact match was a known distant cousin with the same surname. After two SNP test I finally have a terminal SNP of R-S5512. The only other person in this subgroup is a genetic distance of six just in the first 12 markers.
    I did Chromo 2 as well. What would be your recommendation please? I'm U106 (Z326) and Big Y has been recommended but I understand I would have to do an initial STR test before I could do Big Y. I don't really understand why I would have to do this. Very helpful replies to the OP on this read.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-U106, Z156, S5512

I believe FTDNA will transfer Chromo2 results. FTDNA has some panels of SNPs specifically for certain subgroups. I am a member of R-U106 research project, https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background. And they reccomended Z156 SNP pack for me. I highly recommend that you contact the admin about uploading your Chromo2 results and have them reccomended a SNP pack or BigY (much more expensive but thorough) depending on what your goals and interests are.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    I believe FTDNA will transfer Chromo2 results. FTDNA has some panels of SNPs specifically for certain subgroups. I am a member of R-U106 research project, https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background. And they reccomended Z156 SNP pack for me. I highly recommend that you contact the admin about uploading your Chromo2 results and have them reccomended a SNP pack or BigY (much more expensive but thorough) depending on what your goals and interests are.
    Thank you. I suppose you have to test before you can join. The problem is, I keep getting different advice. I was told by the U106 project group they couldn't use my chromo 2 results or at least that's what I thought they told me. This is the main reason I haven't gone any further with additional testing, lack of clarity. Really I'm just interested in ancient ancestral origins and that may emerge anyway.
    Last edited by JohnHowellsTyrfro; 05-02-2016 at 05:34 PM.