Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 697

Thread: drought of ancient DNA papers on prehistoric Europe/SW Asia

  1. #651
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    10,993
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    It's fairly easy if your immigrant ancestor came fairly recently, say 19th or early twentieth century or thereafter. It gets harder the longer your family has been in North America.
     


    Hidden Content


    Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

    Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

    Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

    Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (12-19-2018),  epoch (11-25-2018),  Webb (12-19-2018)

  3. #652
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,057
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    C-F5481
    mtDNA
    M8a

    Kyrgyzstan
    So, are we getting anything new before the New Year? I checked last years, mostly nothing, but in 2015 there was "Neolithic and Bronze Age migration to Ireland and establishment of the insular Atlantic genome" Published on 28th December.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to rozenfeld For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (12-19-2018)

  5. #653
    Registered Users
    Posts
    743
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch View Post
    I often see that. And I think it's connected to the more hefty Y-DNA discussions, especially on R1b/R1a. My genealogical thirst, however, is simply quenched by genealogical research. Has this to do with being American? I vaguely recall someone stating that it's very hard to tie an American settler family to an European ancestor. I'm Dutch and the Netherlands has a enormous amount of genealogically highly interesting archives online. Maybe I don't really appreciate how lucky I am.
    I can say that it has something to do with being descended from early migrants to Canada, USA, NZ, Australia, etc. It gets harder as I go back in time to find the data that points to where an ancestor came from exactly. Most of the time we can eventually learn which country an individual ancestor came from, but it isn't always the case that we figure out the exact birthplace, etc. Sometimes we can't even connect our ancestors to any European arrivals.

    Now I get both worlds here, in the case of my paternal side it is early settlers and eventually later settlers but my maternal side is Dutch and quite recent to Canada, the genealogy records I have for my maternal side (both my Opa and Oma) extend quite far back and even the specific families themselves have information, pictures of farmsteads, old houses, etc. My research into my Dutch genealogy has been relatively "easy" (most difficult part is probably interpreting the Dutch records) while my research with my father's side has been more difficult, a search filled with roadblocks and seemingly permanent brickwalls.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (12-19-2018),  epoch (12-19-2018),  JMcB (12-19-2018)

  7. #654
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,403
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

    United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch View Post
    I often see that. And I think it's connected to the more hefty Y-DNA discussions, especially on R1b/R1a. My genealogical thirst, however, is simply quenched by genealogical research. Has this to do with being American? I vaguely recall someone stating that it's very hard to tie an American settler family to an European ancestor. I'm Dutch and the Netherlands has a enormous amount of genealogically highly interesting archives online. Maybe I don't really appreciate how lucky I am.
    Here's an example of one I do know something about: Richard Warren, my 10th great grandfather. He was a Mayflower passenger in 1620, and has millions (maybe tens of millions) of descendants in the US.
    His actions in the Plymouth Colony are documented somewhat, but other than the fact that he was a merchant in London before making the voyage (not one of the Puritans/Pilgrims), practically nothing is known of the man before he crossed the Atlantic other than his marriage to Elizabeth Walker. For all I know, he was actually a French ex-pat. His wife and five daughters joined him in 1623, and he had two sons who were born in Plymouth.

    ^^This despite centuries of the best efforts of amateur and professional genealogists and historians. For the rest of my less-studied pond-crossing 17th century ancestors, the details are even more sparse until they got here.

    http://mayflowerhistory.com/warren/

    At least, since he has so many descendants, I know his Y-DNA, and my dad is a "last stop" in maternal descent from his wife, Elizabeth.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

    Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

    Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

     epoch (12-19-2018),  JMcB (12-19-2018),  Webb (12-19-2018)

  9. #655
    Registered Users
    Posts
    969
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    I can say that it has something to do with being descended from early migrants to Canada, USA, NZ, Australia, etc. It gets harder as I go back in time to find the data that points to where an ancestor came from exactly. Most of the time we can eventually learn which country an individual ancestor came from, but it isn't always the case that we figure out the exact birthplace, etc. Sometimes we can't even connect our ancestors to any European arrivals.

    Now I get both worlds here, in the case of my paternal side it is early settlers and eventually later settlers but my maternal side is Dutch and quite recent to Canada, the genealogy records I have for my maternal side (both my Opa and Oma) extend quite far back and even the specific families themselves have information, pictures of farmsteads, old houses, etc. My research into my Dutch genealogy has been relatively "easy" (most difficult part is probably interpreting the Dutch records) while my research with my father's side has been more difficult, a search filled with roadblocks and seemingly permanent brickwalls.
    How far back are you with the Dutch side?

  10. #656
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    809
    Sex
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    DF27>CTS4065>FG23196
    mtDNA
    U5a1a2a

    United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    I can't get past my great grandfather on my dad's father's line. I have a name, Dan Webb. They were in Greer, Oklahoma/Texas around 1890. Since there isn't a 1890 census and the Mangum Courthouse burned down, there is nothing. My great great grandmother remarried when my great grandfather was 2 and he never knew his father. Stuck.
    Last edited by Webb; 12-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (12-19-2018),  epoch (12-19-2018),  JMcB (12-19-2018),  MitchellSince1893 (12-19-2018)

  12. #657
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    1,637
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish (Ashkenazi)
    Y-DNA
    Q-YP3924 (Q-M378)
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

    Israel
    I think we won't be seeing any Philistine paper soon I've actually contacted the Leon-Levy Expedition few weeks ago with no response. As of now, they sit on the genetic samples for 2 years. Not even an abstract.
    Check out my Hidden Content
    My Y-DNA: Q-M242 -> Q-L232 -> Q-L275 -> Q-M378 -> Q-Y2016 -> Q-L245 -> Q-FGC1904 -> Q-Y2209 -> Q-Y2225 -> Q-Y2197 -> Q-Y2750 -> Q-YP1004 -> Q-YP3924;
    My mtDNA: K1a1b1a;

    My dad's mtDNA: K2a2a;

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Erikl86 For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (12-19-2018)

  14. #658
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,521
    Sex
    Location
    Australia
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945 - Jura
    mtDNA
    H95a - Osii

    Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Germany Palatinate
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikl86 View Post
    I think we won't be seeing any Philistine paper soon I've actually contacted the Leon-Levy Expedition few weeks ago with no response. As of now, they sit on the genetic samples for 2 years. Not even an abstract.
    I recently saw a tv program, made recently by israeli TV.....stating the latest archeological finds of the Philistines is that they originate from Eastern Crete

    European = 99.2%......Central Asian = 0.8% ....Yfull - 1460BC, Jura caves
    Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

    My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

    The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

  15. #659
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,057
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    C-F5481
    mtDNA
    M8a

    Kyrgyzstan
    What is the problem with Philistines? I have heard that there are problems with testing ancient Jewish remains, because religious conservatives are against it, but Philistines are not Jews, so what is the problem?

  16. #660
    Registered Users
    Posts
    969
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    Here's an example of one I do know something about: Richard Warren, my 10th great grandfather. He was a Mayflower passenger in 1620, and has millions (maybe tens of millions) of descendants in the US.
    His actions in the Plymouth Colony are documented somewhat, but other than the fact that he was a merchant in London before making the voyage (not one of the Puritans/Pilgrims), practically nothing is known of the man before he crossed the Atlantic other than his marriage to Elizabeth Walker. For all I know, he was actually a French ex-pat. His wife and five daughters joined him in 1623, and he had two sons who were born in Plymouth.

    ^^This despite centuries of the best efforts of amateur and professional genealogists and historians. For the rest of my less-studied pond-crossing 17th century ancestors, the details are even more sparse until they got here.

    http://mayflowerhistory.com/warren/

    At least, since he has so many descendants, I know his Y-DNA, and my dad is a "last stop" in maternal descent from his wife, Elizabeth.
    You know about as much about him as I do about my early 17th century forefathers. And 1620 is pretty good even by Dutch standards.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to epoch For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (12-19-2018)

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 07:33 PM
  2. Flint Daggers in Prehistoric Europe
    By razyn in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2016, 11:22 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2015, 03:50 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 03:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •