Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA
    J1c2b

England Germany Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia United States Tree Flag
    Browsing my data from 23andMe, I observed that I have two copies of the gene for lactose tolerance, which makes sense as I am predominantly of Northwest European descent. My stepfather, who is predominantly of southern Italian descent, has problems digesting lactose so I believe he may be heterozygous, having one copy of the tolerance gene and one copy of the intolerance gene.

Suspended Account
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Temir View Post
    i am Turkish and i have lactose intolerance,i can not drink ayran also
    So, when you drink milk, what happend? Are you vomiting or what?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post
    I have a friend who is lactose intolerant, but he loves lattes. He says they upset his stomach and give him massive gas, to which his wife objects.

Beans do the same thing to me, but I still eat them.

Milk I have no problem with; in fact, it calms me.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

jdean (12-08-2018),  Rethel (12-10-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-DF49
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I have a friend who is lactose intolerant, but he loves lattes. He says they upset his stomach and give him massive gas, to which his wife objects.

My wife banned me from drinking Newcastle Brown : )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

rms2 (12-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post
    Likely not vomiting so much but some lactose intolerant folks find themselves spending extra time on the porcelain throne.

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post

I wouldn't recommend drinking milk (or consuming products with lactose) if you are lactose intolerant. While I myself am not lactose intolerant those around me who are do not have a good time after having ice cream, milk or other things. It's also not quite the same as eating beans the magical fruit.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

Rethel (12-10-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I'm lactase persistent myself and homozygous for LP on both of the most common European LP variants. I've had cow's milk (obviously), goat's milk, and mare's milk, and none of them has ever troubled me in the least. I love dairy products.

In fact, of the three types of milk I named, horse milk is the highest in lactose, which must be why it tastes sweeter than cow's milk and goat's milk.

lactose levels in milk_ food intolerance network.png

I've also eaten my share of evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk on blini (Russian pancakes), and they're loaded with lactose.

Never had a problem with any of it.
    Last edited by rms2; 12-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Principe (12-08-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    A lot of people have an intolerance to another component of cow's milk than the lactose part. Anecdotally, a lot of the general physicians in the UK think "lactose intolerance" is actually a cow's milk allergy (usually to the protein component, either the whey or casein) in most people here.

It's pretty easy to test for true lactose intolerance in a clinical setting - Give someone at least 10g of lactose orally and wait up to 4 hours for either side-effects to manifest (bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, cramping etc.) or (preferable objectively) take a blood sample to see whether the anticipated elevation in glucose takes place (since lactose is digested by lactase into glucose and galactose).

We hear a lot about dairy intolerance (catch-all term) in the West these days - A big chunk of the cases don't have anything to do with a true intolerance of lactose. Instead, they're allergy-related (I'm one of these people). The rates of "true" lactose intolerance are going to increase mostly due to either changing demographics (more pronounced in the "New World" countries) or an increased awareness of it. Gastrointestinal diseases will contribute (e.g. Coeliac), but I don't know whether the incidence of these are rising or not.

In the UK, I would guess the rise in dairy intolerance is due to the aforementioned allergies, which we know has been on the rise since the 80's onwards. I'm embedded in those stats, but that's okay (goat's milk saved me from a lifetime of buying the questionably sounding "nut milk").

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Bas (12-11-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-11-2018),  Principe (12-08-2018),  Rethel (12-10-2018),  rms2 (12-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Y-DNA
    J-Y15222
    mtDNA
    U5a2b5

Italy Italy Sicily Italy Two Sicilies Vatican Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    A lot of people have an intolerance to another component of cow's milk than the lactose part. Anecdotally, a lot of the general physicians in the UK think "lactose intolerance" is actually a cow's milk allergy (usually to the protein component, either the whey or casein) in most people here.

It's pretty easy to test for true lactose intolerance in a clinical setting - Give someone at least 10g of lactose orally and wait up to 4 hours for either side-effects to manifest (bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, cramping etc.) or (preferable objectively) take a blood sample to see whether the anticipated elevation in glucose takes place (since lactose is digested by lactase into glucose and galactose).

We hear a lot about dairy intolerance (catch-all term) in the West these days - A big chunk of the cases don't have anything to do with a true intolerance of lactose. Instead, they're allergy-related (I'm one of these people). The rates of "true" lactose intolerance are going to increase mostly due to either changing demographics (more pronounced in the "New World" countries) or an increased awareness of it. Gastrointestinal diseases will contribute (e.g. Coeliac), but I don't know whether the incidence of these are rising or not.

In the UK, I would guess the rise in dairy intolerance is due to the aforementioned allergies, which we know has been on the rise since the 80's onwards. I'm embedded in those stats, but that's okay (goat's milk saved me from a lifetime of buying the questionably sounding "nut milk").
    I just found out i’m Lactose Intolerant two weeks ago, I did the clinical the Clinical test, it was a long and enduring procedure, I had to fast the night before and consume a liquid containing 50 g of Lactose (surprisingly tasted of Ginger Ale), and had to take blood tests before consuming, and every half an hour after consuming for two hours, in total 6 vials of blood were taken. I have a true Lactose Intolerance, not only did the symptoms manifest (went to the washroom 3 times in a span of 3 hours) my blood glucose levels dropped from my fasting 5.3 to 4.6 after the 2 hour mark. It’s unfortunate because I have change the way I eat, even being of Italian background many of our dishes contain dairy products.
    My Y Line: J2a-Z482>Y15222

My Maternal Y: R1b-U152>Z36>?

Other Y lines: 3x Great Grandfather on Maternal side: J2a-S25258>SK1336

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Principe For This Useful Post:

DMXX (12-08-2018),  Rethel (12-10-2018),  rms2 (12-09-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    I just found out i’m Lactose Intolerant two weeks ago, I did the clinical the Clinical test, it was a long and enduring procedure, I had to fast the night before and consume a liquid containing 50 g of Lactose (surprisingly tasted of Ginger Ale), and had to take blood tests before consuming, and every half an hour after consuming for two hours, in total 6 vials of blood were taken. I have a true Lactose Intolerance, not only did the symptoms manifest (went to the washroom 3 times in a span of 3 hours) my blood glucose levels dropped from my fasting 5.3 to 4.6 after the 2 hour mark. It’s unfortunate because I have change the way I eat, even being of Italian background many of our dishes contain dairy products.
    50g? Damn, that's excessive and arguably pretty cruel.

The few clinicians I've spoken to here in England who've performed the procedure told me 10g suffices. This randomised-control trial corroborates.

Yeah, you can probably handle small quantities of lactose in your diet with some probiotics (l. bacilli being the main one). Cultured yoghurts and drinks like ayran/keffir/dugh (all names for the same drink) contain it, if you'd prefer not to use a pill supplement.

With probiotic supplementation, you could probably get away with cheese and yoghurts, though anything that's mostly milk-derived will give you issues either way. Lactose-free milk is a very viable substitute.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Principe (12-08-2018),  rms2 (12-09-2018)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast