Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: DF27 > ZZ12 > ZZ41

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    DF27 > ZZ12 > ZZ41

    Greetings,

    When I first learned that I was DF27, I assumed - being of Portuguese ancestry - that I was descended from a very regular, ancient Iberian lineage of Lusitanian, Celtiberian or Basque roots. I later took the Big Y test and my terminal SNP was assigned as ZZ41 (located right below ZZ12).

    As it turns out, there are only 9 guys on the FTDNA DF27 project who share this SNP, myself included. After a little research, I've gathered that 2 of these lineages are from the Isle of Man, 2 from NW England, 1 from Northern Ireland, 1 from Norway, 1 from France (Normandy) and 1 from Germany (Palatinate).

    The Semargl site - http://www.semargl.me/haplogroups/maps/918/ - shows a total of 30 ZZ41+ guys, none of which having an Iberian origin (11 UK, 5 Germany, 2 US, 1 France, 1 Ireland, 1 Netherlands, 1 Norway and 8 "unknown"). So ZZ41 appears to have a strong Northern European touch to it, which has got me thinking that my Y-line might be more "foreign" (from an Iberian perspective) than I first thought.

    Any other ZZ41+ folks here?

  2. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,112
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15743
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

    Interesting perspective, I don't have much to add, and sort of agree with the tentative view. But did you look at the Big Tree? One of the ZZ41 samples from the 1000 Genomes project was Puerto Rican -- which is normally assumed to be of Iberian ancestry, unless we happen to know differently.

    http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...032&star=false

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

     Degredado (05-13-2016),  Lugus (05-13-2016)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    388
    Sex
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

    United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    My father-in-law is the Pattinson from NW England. I only traced to just past 1800 but they were in the area for awhile. The Big Tree seems pretty accurate with the relationship between Pattinson and Lancaster having split maybe 1000 years ago. Then it seems like the Threat family split off maybe 600 years ago and the Key family somewhere in between. All rough estimates. It looks like the Pattinson/Lancaster/Threat/Key group were in England between 1500 to 1000 years ago so that should be a nice constraint on one section of the group.

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    296
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L21 Z251
    mtDNA (P)
    T1a1

    Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by Degredado View Post
    Greetings,

    When I first learned that I was DF27, I assumed - being of Portuguese ancestry - that I was descended from a very regular, ancient Iberian lineage of Lusitanian, Celtiberian or Basque roots. I later took the Big Y test and my terminal SNP was assigned as ZZ41 (located right below ZZ12).

    As it turns out, there are only 9 guys on the FTDNA DF27 project who share this SNP, myself included. After a little research, I've gathered that 2 of these lineages are from the Isle of Man, 2 from NW England, 1 from Northern Ireland, 1 from Norway, 1 from France (Normandy) and 1 from Germany (Palatinate).

    The Semargl site - http://www.semargl.me/haplogroups/maps/918/ - shows a total of 30 ZZ41+ guys, none of which having an Iberian origin (11 UK, 5 Germany, 2 US, 1 France, 1 Ireland, 1 Netherlands, 1 Norway and 8 "unknown"). So ZZ41 appears to have a strong Northern European touch to it, which has got me thinking that my Y-line might be more "foreign" (from an Iberian perspective) than I first thought.

    Any other ZZ41+ folks here?
    Welcome to the forum.

    It's obvious that not all DF27 is Iberian and not all Iberians are DF27. Some DF27 lines seem to have few or no Iberians. What happened in the Peninsula was a founder effect with the founders coming from somewhere leaving behind some of their fellow DF27 who never made it to Iberia. Or perhaps some lines went extinct in Iberia and thrived elsewhere.

    Having said this, you should take into account a few interconnected considerations:

    1- Sample bias strongly favoring NW Europe - comparatively few Iberians tested (including Iberoamericans).
    2- The deeper the testing the stronger the bias is - tests become more expensive favoring samples from the rich North.
    3- Low number of high resolution samples (from anywhere) - again, tests are still expensive and not all Americans are rich.
    4- The high level of ignorance we still dealing with at this point - we need much more data and much more research.
    5- The precarious and fluid state of our knowledge - what we think we know today might turn out to be nonsense tomorrow (including all that I'm saying now).

    I can give you a personal example. My terminal SNP was unknown until August last year when I did my Big Y and now we're already 3 guys (all Portuguese). Someone has to be the first and often he signals the existence of many others still hiding.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugus For This Useful Post:

     Degredado (05-13-2016)

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    56
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b - DF27 - L617
    mtDNA (M)
    U3a

    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugus View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    It's obvious that not all DF27 is Iberian and not all Iberians are DF27. Some DF27 lines seem to have few or no Iberians. What happened in the Peninsula was a founder effect with the founders coming from somewhere leaving behind some of their fellow DF27 who never made it to Iberia. Or perhaps some lines went extinct in Iberia and thrived elsewhere.

    Having said this, you should take into account a few interconnected considerations:

    1- Sample bias strongly favoring NW Europe - comparatively few Iberians tested (including Iberoamericans).
    2- The deeper the testing the stronger the bias is - tests become more expensive favoring samples from the rich North.
    3- Low number of high resolution samples (from anywhere) - again, tests are still expensive and not all Americans are rich.
    4- The high level of ignorance we still dealing with at this point - we need much more data and much more research.
    5- The precarious and fluid state of our knowledge - what we think we know today might turn out to be nonsense tomorrow (including all that I'm saying now).

    I can give you a personal example. My terminal SNP was unknown until August last year when I did my Big Y and now we're already 3 guys (all Portuguese). Someone has to be the first and often he signals the existence of many others still hiding.
    Do you think DF27 originated outside Iberia?

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    206
    Sex
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1c

    England
    I think we are all hoping DF27 will be found somewhere in ancient yDNA.

    A 4000-ish year old L21 man has been identified recently in Northern Ireland. He was buried with 'Food Vessel' grave goods but I haven't heard of ancient DF27 being identified anywhere yet.

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    56
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b - DF27 - L617
    mtDNA (M)
    U3a

    England
    Quote Originally Posted by corner View Post
    I think we are all hoping DF27 will be found somewhere in ancient yDNA.

    A 4000-ish year old L21 man has been identified recently in Northern Ireland. He was buried with 'Food Vessel' grave goods but I haven't heard of ancient DF27 being identified anywhere yet.
    I'd say they should be looking in Cornwall, it's a hotspot for L617.

  10. #8
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by EastAnglian View Post
    Do you think DF27 originated outside Iberia?
    I know you asked that of Lugus, not me, but I'll offer my opinion anyway.

    I never did think DF27 originated in Iberia, but with the recent discovery of Z40481, it seems even less likely than ever.

    Just as U152 has been found in eastern Bell Beaker, I suspect DF27 will be, as well, and that all the Z40481+ clades originated in east central Europe.

    Just my opinion.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Lugus (05-13-2016),  Webb (05-13-2016)

  12. #9
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by razyn View Post
    Interesting perspective, I don't have much to add, and sort of agree with the tentative view. But did you look at the Big Tree? One of the ZZ41 samples from the 1000 Genomes project was Puerto Rican -- which is normally assumed to be of Iberian ancestry, unless we happen to know differently.

    http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...032&star=false
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that Puerto Rican guy. It's a pity these Genomes project results are completely anonymous (aside from nationality).

  13. #10
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Lugus View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    It's obvious that not all DF27 is Iberian and not all Iberians are DF27. Some DF27 lines seem to have few or no Iberians. What happened in the Peninsula was a founder effect with the founders coming from somewhere leaving behind some of their fellow DF27 who never made it to Iberia. Or perhaps some lines went extinct in Iberia and thrived elsewhere.

    Having said this, you should take into account a few interconnected considerations:

    1- Sample bias strongly favoring NW Europe - comparatively few Iberians tested (including Iberoamericans).
    2- The deeper the testing the stronger the bias is - tests become more expensive favoring samples from the rich North.
    3- Low number of high resolution samples (from anywhere) - again, tests are still expensive and not all Americans are rich.
    4- The high level of ignorance we still dealing with at this point - we need much more data and much more research.
    5- The precarious and fluid state of our knowledge - what we think we know today might turn out to be nonsense tomorrow (including all that I'm saying now).

    I can give you a personal example. My terminal SNP was unknown until August last year when I did my Big Y and now we're already 3 guys (all Portuguese). Someone has to be the first and often he signals the existence of many others still hiding.
    Obrigado.

    I agree with all the points you made. Is your common ancestor with the two other Portuguese guys recent enough for you to share the same surname? I'd be happy if I could find someone who shares a paternal ancestor with me in the Common Era, but no luck so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-03-2020, 07:45 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2019, 01:53 AM
  3. Ancient DF27, ZZ12 DNA sample
    By Earl Davis in forum R1b-DF27
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM
  4. R-DF27>ZZ12>CTS3919/S4381 a Basque subclade?
    By jtlefebvre in forum R1b-DF27
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2016, 02:53 PM
  5. P312 > ZZ11 > DF27 > ZZ12 > ZZ19,ZZ20,(x L195) >
    By Mike McG in forum R1b-DF27
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •