Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Indians and Pakistanis be Syed?

Can Indians and Pakistanis be Syed?

An interesting question.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ali16; 05-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Ali16 View Post
    Member: JATT2016 believes "... Indians/Pakistanis cannot be syed. ..." What are his qualifications and on what basis do you make that statement? Does anyone else have anything to add to help further genealogical knowledge in the Indian subcontinent? I would appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ight=j-cts2906

Capture2.jpg
    Yes I have no doubt many Syeds in India are of Arab (mainly Iraqi, and some Syrian) descent. Families of Arabian peninsular descent are also noticed.
    There are even supposedly Brahman families of Arab descent (cf. Dutta Mohyals).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Ali16 (05-13-2016),  khanabadoshi (05-13-2016),  Kurd (05-13-2016)

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28 (UA/GAC)

I remember reading a study about Afghan Y-DNA and all tested Arab Afghans in this study had local Central Asian/South Asian Y-DNA. I think the great majority but of course not all Syeds in South Asia are either local people or have just indirect arab ancestry. It had many advantages to claim this kind of origin in the past.
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 05-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

Ali16 (05-13-2016),  khanabadoshi (05-13-2016)

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28 (UA/GAC)

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Yes I have no doubt many Syeds in India are of Arab (mainly Iraqi, and some Syrian) descent. Families of Arabian peninsular descent are also noticed.
    Can you please tell more about the Arab origin of some Brahmin communities? I not heard yet that Brahmins were positive for any Arab Y-DNA. Even in Afghanistan there is zero or less than 0.01% of it.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Can you please tell more about the Arab origin of some Brahmin communities? I not heard yet that Brahmins were positive for any Arab Y-DNA. Even in Afghanistan there is zero or less than 0.01% of it.
    The Dutta Mohyals I had mentioned in my post claim an Arab connection. The story they tell is that after the (maha)Bharata war, descendants of Aswathama left India for Arabia and returned to India after their defeat in the battle of Karbala. http://watandost.blogspot.com/2008/0...n-karbala.html

There is a Chibba Mohyal on Dr_McNinja's list who is R1a1, but Chibbas were from Sindh so does not tell us much.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kDc/edit#gid=0

Another from Sialkot is E1b1b1a (not sure which Mohyal clan, except that he is not a Bali Mohyal).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Ali16 (05-13-2016),  wmehar (05-18-2016)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    This study is from 2010: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/publi...AAS10_Syed.pdf
    As well as this study, looking for Arab lineage in general: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2859343/

There was another in-depth study, but I can't find it.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 05-13-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Ali16 (05-13-2016),  Kurd (05-13-2016),  parasar (05-13-2016),  wmehar (05-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Syed is someone who is direct decendent of Muhammad (PBUH) through his grandsons and not just arab decendents.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    F
    mtDNA
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    Syed is someone who is direct decendent of Muhammad (PBUH) through his grandsons and not just arab decendents.
    I am in agreement with what you said. It is impossible to verify on scientific grounds , if anybody claims to be syed today. Nobody knows what Y haplogroups the Prophet belong too.
    Even, to establish an arab ancestry for a person from South Asia is ambiguous as different ethnic groups can have the same haplogroups.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

AJL (05-18-2016),  ashwinb (05-25-2016)

Even though the studies cannot prove someone is a Syed, every study so far has overwhemingly proven that most self-identied Syeds are imposters.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ali16 For This Useful Post:

Hanna (05-18-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Y-DNA
    R1b M73

Most Arabian Sharifs (Syeds) belong to J1c Y Haplo.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast