Thread: Total Newb with M222 question

Sex

Total Newb with M222 question

Hello everyone, I recently had my DNA tested and found out my y-haplotype is R1b1b2a1a2f2. To the best of my knowledge, this puts me under m222. I am confused because I thought my decedents were Clanna Rory. My paternal grandparents are both from County Clare and my last name is O'Connor so I assumed I was an O'Connor of Corcomroe. It's difficult finding concrete information for this clan because the 5 other O'Connors are more extensively documented. It's frustrating because every bit of info needs to be double checked. Bits and pieces of other O'Connor Clans' history get mistakenly recorded for the O'Connor of Corcomroe. Realizing the O'Loughlin are a recent split, I was able to find more information about my past through their branch. I''ve read through some of threads here and I know the posters here have extensive knowledge on the topic. I am hoping one of you can help me clear up this connection with M222 and the O'Connor of Corcomroe. This map seems to indicate i'ts more common in my families' area of Clare than most other spots outside of Northwest Ireland. Perhaps my ancestors brought the Haplotype when they came from Ulster. It seems a bit confusing because I thought that the Ui Neills battled with the Kings of Ulster(my families descendants). I've only recently started to study Irish history and Folklore so if my knowledge is wrong, then please let me know. I am sorry to ramble on but it's because I'm more confused now than before I had my DNA tested. I am overwhellmed by the amount of research required and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Anyone out there care to shed some light on my situation? Thank you all!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSox455 For This Useful Post:

dp (05-26-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    I could not find R1b1b2a1a2f2 on the ISOGG haplotree. Do you have the short name for this YSNP mutation. Also, FTDNA stopped using the long version some time ago, so I am curious where you got this haplogroup designation.

Sex

Hi, thanks for the reply. I thought it was M222, but I got that off google when i searched for my results off 23 and me. 23andme does provide a tree, but like I said, I'm such newbie to all this so I don't even know how to find the short version.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27>FGC13557
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

Netherlands Netherlands Limburg Germany Belgium Netherlands Noord-Brabant
    I think it is M222 as well using this tool: http://dna.scangen.se/index.php?show=tools&lang=en
    Perhaps you can use this approach: http://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/02/...ed-at-23andme/ (if it still works) to look at the raw data and determine your M222 +/- status.

Paternal Y-DNA: R-DF27>Z220>S21184>FGC13557>FGC43335, DYS487=Null, MDKA: Arnoldus Otten, d. 1721 Schinnen, Netherlands (FTDNA: N126593)
    Paternal mtDNA: U5a2c4, MDKA: Maria de Baur, d 1761, Sittard, Netherlands
    Paternal grandmother Y-DNA: R-U106>Z18>S17721+, MDKA: Adriaan Petri Brouwers, Oosterhout, Netherlands
    Maternal Y-DNA: R-U152>Y22447+, MDKA: Göttgens, confirmed NPE (FGC: X5ZNK)
    Maternal mtDNA: H3-T152C!, MDKA: Helena Cuijpers, d. 1778 Spaubeek, Netherlands

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    It's what 23andme calls M222, based off ISOGG tree from circa 2010 see:
    http://isogg.org/tree/2010/ISOGG_HapgrpR10.html

Unfortunatley they don't test for any of the subclades of M222.

M222_tree.png
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

dp (05-26-2016)

Sex

gotten, thanks for the reply, I'm going to look into your links and see what I can come up with.

Dubhtach, thanks for the reply and the private message, unfortunately I can'y reply in private because I only have three post so far. Here is what I wrote:

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I suppose its possible that It's a Connacht O'Connor connection but I find that scenario unlikely. My paternal grandfather is from Doolin, right in the heart of the O'Connors of Corcomroe territory. Plus if you click on this map, you will see that the Doolin area has a higher percentage of M222. But then again this could be based off old data, i'm not sure. I guess I'll have to wait to test me DNA with FTDNA which won't happen for a long time. I it does end up being M222, then I wonder if it rewrites the Clanna Rory connection. Are you aware of what haplotype the O'Connors or O'Loughlins of that area usually have or do you know where I could find that information? I appreciate your help.

Sex

On an exciting note, 23andme updated my Paternal Haplogroup to M-222. Mystery solved! Now seeing how it fits into the folklore is another issue!