Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1
    mtDNA
    J2b1a

Canada

J2b1a

J2b1a is a subclade of the haplogroup J, which is mostly found in Western Europe and Russia, but rare or absent from, in other places. My mtDNA is this subclade.

There is very little information about this sub-haplogroup and I would like to know more about it. All I could find about this subclade is from an excerpt from this webpage, Eupedia - Haplogroup J (mtDNA) under the section, "Indo-European invasions during the Bronze Age", which states:

The Kalash of northern Pakistan, who occasionally have blond hair and blue eyes, are another interesting case. According to Quintana-Murci et al. (2004), their maternal haplogroups are 100% Western Eurasian and include typically Indo-European lineages like H2a1 (2%), U2e (16%) and U4 (34%), all three linked to Y-haplogroup R1a, but possess also 11% of J2b1a, a lineage typically found in Russia and western Europe, but absent from or rare in the Near East (see above). Based on J2b1a's presence mostly in western Europe, the natural association would be with R1b. However, the Kalash have 18% of R1a, but no R1b (although they do have remnants of very old R* and R1*, which makes them very special). This means that J2b1a1 could have spread by either R1a or R1b Indo-Europeans, or both.
    My Y-DNA is R1a1a (more specifically R1a1a1). I have a few questions regarding this:

1.) Does this connection mean I have any relationship with Kalash people or the Indo-Europeans?
    2.) Do I have an ancient lineage in Russia or it's something else?
    3.) There are not many Pashtuns/Tajiks (that I know) who have this subclade. Why is that the case? The reason why I asked this is because my results seemed to be within the range of an average Pasthun.

Note: I'm 3/4 Afghan Pasthun and 1/4 Afghan Tajik (with some Pashai/Dardic ancestry from my grandmother from my father/paternal's side).

4.) In reference to the excerpt that I quoted above, does this means that my haplogroups are connected/related to the Indo-Europeans?

I know that my questions may be misinformed and that one's haplogroups doesn't play a significant role in one's genotype and phenotype, but I'm still curious about it. I know very little (if any) about the things that I mentioned, so please bear with me. If anyone could help in answering at least one question, that would be helpful. Thank you.
    Last edited by VelvetNono; 06-08-2016 at 03:51 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VelvetNono For This Useful Post:

Oleg (Rus) (09-01-2018),  palamede (06-30-2016),  pegasus (06-08-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1
    mtDNA
    J2b1a

Canada
    bump.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

United States of America Canada
    My mother (T436420) has three J2b1a's and two J2b1a1's on her GEDmatch 'X one-to-many' list using GEDmatch's default parameters.

Do you have a GEDmatch kit number which you can share?

Jack
    Last edited by C J Wyatt III; 06-25-2016 at 01:39 AM. Reason: typo

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Súnskr
    Y-DNA
    Father's I1
    mtDNA
    Not tested yet

Sweden Denmark Norway European Union Finland Sami
    hI'd guess it has to do with indo-europeans.
    If the subclade has so far only been found among western europeans and russians (and the Kalash, who do have some european admixture) then i'd place my bet on indo-europeans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Nordic For This Useful Post:

VelvetNono (06-26-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Nationality
    American

United States of America
    1) Well, you have ancestry from a region nearby the Kalash so I am guessing it does.
    2) Perhaps from the Steppe cultures that pushed down further south, I assume.
    3) I guess it has to do with your Pashai ancestry. That is perhaps the most reasonable answer.

Hope this helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aceharlock For This Useful Post:

VelvetNono (07-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Hey! I am almost the same as you on the paternal and maternal side.
    Maternal - J2a1a
    Paternal - R1a1a

But I am from way North West of Europe.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

VelvetNono (07-26-2016)

Sex

I'm J2b1a and I'm genetically 100% European. I read that most people who are from this haplogroup are exclusively European with few exceptions being from the Middle East. It's possible that you have part European ancestry or that you are the rare exception in that you a descended from a hunter gatherer group that went to Europe (J2b1a), only your particular maternal ancestor stayed behind and settled in the Middle East. This is quite possible, as there is some instance of J2b1a in the Middle East, though much less than in Europe. It is also possible that gene flow thousands of years ago from trade and travel resulted in the presence of your haplogroup in the Middle East.

I don't know much specifics. That's pretty much all the insight I can give.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    ???
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-Z93
    mtDNA
    P: J1b1a3

Sweden Iran Safavid Empire Turkey Azerbaijan
    Deleted
    Last edited by Araz95; 02-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Also J2b1a

Quote Originally Posted by Taylrrae View Post
    I'm J2b1a and I'm genetically 100% European. I read that most people who are from this haplogroup are exclusively European with few exceptions being from the Middle East. It's possible that you have part European ancestry or that you are the rare exception in that you a descended from a hunter gatherer group that went to Europe (J2b1a), only your particular maternal ancestor stayed behind and settled in the Middle East. This is quite possible, as there is some instance of J2b1a in the Middle East, though much less than in Europe. It is also possible that gene flow thousands of years ago from trade and travel resulted in the presence of your haplogroup in the Middle East.

I don't know much specifics. That's pretty much all the insight I can give.
    I am also J2b1a and my ancestry is mainly european aswell, I agree with you all the information I have found on our mtdna haplogroup is the exact same as yours.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS9044
    mtDNA
    J2b1a

J2b1a from England.