Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z375

United States Gadsden England Germany Finland Norway

I am U106 + R-Z18 + L257 + R-Z375

So my surname is Lock and my oldest ancestor that I can trace on paper comes from Ilminster, Somerset, England. I have found documents that state my family came from Scotland before settling in Somerset and the book written about my family also states we came from Scotland first. My DNA shows a connection to the Orkney Islands but I am American and although my DNA shows as 100% European I am mixed up and have blood from every corner of Europe.

Now in my family finder matches I have a lot of Finnish matches as well as many matches to Scottish people. I was surprised to see that I had such a low amount of British Isles DNA as I figured it would be the dominating ethnic DNA but I was wrong. I have noticed that other members who have R-Z375 were ether Scottish, English, or Eastern European. I did another test with Y-SEQ and it shows no match to the Cockburn family so I am thinking my line may lean more towards the Eastern European side of R-Z375.

So I am thinking perhaps my family came to Scotland during the viking raids but that is just a guess. I am wondering what thoughts anyone might have if any at all as to what they think the origin or Z375 may be.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xlockx For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (05-08-2020),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-19-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by xlockx View Post
    So my surname is Lock and my oldest ancestor that I can trace on paper comes from Ilminster, Somerset, England. I have found documents that state my family came from Scotland before settling in Somerset and the book written about my family also states we came from Scotland first. My DNA shows a connection to the Orkney Islands but I am American and although my DNA shows as 100% European I am mixed up and have blood from every corner of Europe.

Now in my family finder matches I have a lot of Finnish matches as well as many matches to Scottish people. I was surprised to see that I had such a low amount of British Isles DNA as I figured it would be the dominating ethnic DNA but I was wrong. I have noticed that other members who have R-Z375 were ether Scottish, English, or Eastern European. I did another test with Y-SEQ and it shows no match to the Cockburn family so I am thinking my line may lean more towards the Eastern European side of R-Z375.

So I am thinking perhaps my family came to Scotland during the viking raids but that is just a guess. I am wondering what thoughts anyone might have if any at all as to what they think the origin or Z375 may be.
    I'm a bit dubious about the term "British DNA" because our ancestors all came from the continent at some point. I think there are fairly high percentages of U106 in North West Scotland and the Isles. I'm from Wales and am U106 Z326 and my chromo 2 results showed a significant proportion of "Finnish", but with a qualifier that this may just show a prior shared ancestry between groups rather than actually being "Finnish". Maybe you should think about joining the U106 project group if you haven't already? You may find this overview by Iain McDonald useful, I understand he is doing more work on the origins and dispersal of U106. http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (05-08-2020),  xlockx (06-20-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z375

United States Gadsden England Germany Finland Norway
    Thanks and yes I have already joined the group. As for my Finnish DNA I show 12% on most DNA calculators but I also have 3rd cousins who are Finns showing in my family finder. I am just curious as to any opinions on Z375.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xlockx For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-20-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    The FTDNA test project for U106 has a link to a Dutch site for subclades of U106. They identify Z18 & Z157 as "North Sea Tribes" and list quite a few subclades downstream of Z375.

http://l257.groenebeverbv.nl/index.p...d=4&Itemid=106

Sex
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Nationality
    Belgium
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a1a2a1a1b
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1

Belgium
    Hi guys;

Greetings from Belgium.

I am a child of R-Z18, novel marker named R-S15309.

Seems to find his origin's in North-East Belgium + South East Holland in the Province of Limburg for both countries..

My mother had Mt DNA U5a1a1. Splitted in Germany, some came to Belgium while others moved to Finland.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Garry
    Last edited by garryvc; 05-07-2020 at 11:15 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to garryvc For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (05-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Garry,

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you join the U106 Group forum by sending an email to: R1b-U106+subscribe@groups.io The vast majority of U106 experts are subscribed to this group.

Ray
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (05-08-2020),  JMcB (05-07-2020)