Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    US/Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b,M222+,FGC4077+

Cornwall Canada

Not sure where to begin

I've been researching my family tree for a very long time and have finally connected my paternal lineage from Chapmans in PEI, Canada to Cornwall, England. My DNA results coming back as Irish threw me a curve. Either my ancestors moved south from Ireland or originated from the cluster that eventually settled in Ireland. Hopefully I can finally connect with a Chapman in the UK that shares my DNA.

Johnny

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 264609 For This Useful Post:

Asimakidis (07-02-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-06-2016),  MacUalraig (07-02-2016),  MikeWhalen (07-02-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SCT, IRL, DE, ENG
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF49 x M222

United States of America Northern Ireland Scotland Ireland Germany England
    Hi Johnny, welcome.
    What information have you learned that Your DNA is Irish?
    Some things that I have learned about genetic genealogy are that the location of origin (a notion pretty difficult to nail down for a group of people who are more or less on the move for millennia) and the location of settlement(s) in historical times, and the location of settlement(s) since the stabilization of surnames are often surprisingly different from each other.
    As the crow flies, the northern coast of central Cornwall is about 225 km/140 mi/120 nm from the coast of County Wexford. The coast of Wales is about half that distance from both. I don't know the seas or the currents. So, I don't know the best way, but they did. To the coastal people, who fished and traded as a way of life, the sea was not a barrier, it was a highway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to brimcmike For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-06-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

FGC4077 is found in Ireland, Scotland, England and France. The only sub-group with any obvious geographical focus (within the last 800 years) is the FGC5856 group I'm in which is limited to central Scotland so far.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    UK (Irish/Scot, mostly)
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M222 > FGC12950
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Johnny, please pardon this slow response. I'm not as active in DNA matters as I used to be.

I looked at your haplotype in the R-M222 and Subclades Project. You are actually a member of the R-A725 branch of R-FGC4077. It remains the case that people in this more limited subdivision are still found in Ireland, Scotland and England, so your search field is still wider than you might like. It is the case, however, that a very few members of this predominantly Irish and Scottish group are found in Devon and Cornwall, so you should not feel completely at sea in looking for roots. Good luck in the hunt.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Wilson For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-06-2016),  marosjor (11-06-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    I don't know whether your ancestry does have Irish origins or how far you have traced it back but there was substantial Irish migration to Cornwall as well as other places during the Industrial revolution, mostly associated with mining I would think. Your surname seems to have an Anglo/Saxon origin though. Good luck with your search. John
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...4OfwVgQZ2ZrCYQ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

marosjor (11-06-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Welsh
    Nationality
    Irish-Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    Z255+, L159.2- (Dad)
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Ireland Wales European Union
    Hi Johnny, I see that you are in the A725+ sub-group of our Ireland yDNA Project. Looking at Alex Williamson's Big Y chart, I see Ireland and Scotland feature:http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...563&star=false

Regards,
    Margaret Jordan
    Admin Ireland yDNA Project

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M222>FGC4077>S679
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b

Ireland
    We have 31 A725 in the FGC4077 group. Here is a count of the self-identified countries of origin for those who know it.

A725-------------- 31
    Ireland----------- 14
    Scotland---------- 6
    England----------- 3
    Northern Ireland-- 3
    Unknown/other----- 5

Of the three who list England, one lists Liverpool as place of birth, one lists German's Week, Devon as place of death, and one is unknown.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eochaidh For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (11-17-2016)