Indefinite Hiatus
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England

23andMe layout change

Users may log onto their profiles now to note they've drastically altered the main menu for customers. Is it more user-friendly? Arguably so in my opinion, but is it a necessary change?

As ever, 23andMe continues to ignore the shortcomings of its service while focusing on the general sheen of their product. 23andMe is still using outdated Y-DNA and mtDNA nomenclature (Y-DNA dates back to ISOGG 2009), but my main chagrin continues to be with their Relative Finder.

I noted that RF frequently misses DNA segment matches which are less than 0.10% in size. I can appreciate the basis for this cut-off, given many users on their database from endogamous or well-represented communities would otherwise be overcome by potentially hundreds of matches.

That arbitrary cut-off is very much at the detriment of people such as myself, who neither belong to endogamous nor well-represented groups. I discovered some time ago that relatives can be manually found by adding those with plausible genetic connections (in my case Kurdish or Armenian users). I have found four relatives to date by doing this.

It would be an idea for me to approach 23andMe requesting user-based control of the segment size cut-off, but I can't imagine I'm the only one to have discovered this.

So, how does 23andMe's layout change fare with everyone else?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

AJL (04-09-2013),  Humanist (04-16-2013),  Scarlet Ibis (04-09-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    I have to agree with you that problems with Relative Finder and other ancestry tools overshadow any cosmetic changes they've introduced.

The changes appear aimed at making this all more accessible to the average person, which is great. Ancestry Composition is a step forward from Ancestry Finder, and it's nice to see they're making ancestry more a part of the dashboard. But basic issues like slow page load times, errors in the phasing engine of AC, and the inability for users to filter RF adequately as you note are of a more direct concern to me.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

DMXX (04-09-2013)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    I can appreciate the basis for this cut-off, given many users on their database from endogamous or well-represented communities would otherwise be overcome by potentially hundreds of matches.
    I have 992 matches as it is. And I haven't traced the link with any of them. Not that I've put much effort into it. But I have responded to all queries with nary a paper link to show for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

DMXX (04-09-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    There's a lot of luck involved, specifically, who else tests. My fourth cousin happened to test, and later tested her mother as well (my mother's third cousin). Lots of shared DNA: the parts with two navy and two pale-blue bars on chromosomes 10, 14, and 16, plus the bit at the top of chromosome 4, all come from our pair of shared ancestors born 1791 and 1801. Shown via my mother's kit (3rd cousins):

3rdCousins.png

My confidence in the accuracy of predictions past this range of third cousins is very low, however.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Jean M (04-09-2013)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    W3a1a

United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Scotland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post

So, how does 23andMe's layout change fare with everyone else?
    I hate it. I don't have an i-phone, and I only access 23andMe from my i-pad when I'm traveling. The rest of the time, I access it from a desktop or laptop. I've been on the site for over four years. It is enormously disorienting and off-putting to show up one morning and find the layout of the site drastically changed, to the point where I can't find anything. I don't even care to debate the pros and cons. Once again, 23andMe demonstrates audacious contempt for their customer base by rolling out something that most long-term users don't want, while failing to address numerous issues that customers have been clamoring for for years. I visit the site on at least a daily basis, and over the past year have paid to have three family members tested (at $299 a pop). I feel betrayed and insulted. I don't see why it was necessary to disable the old view except to intentionally kick users in the face.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tregowath For This Useful Post:

thetick (04-11-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    This seems to be the trend, however. I don't want to get us off on a Windows 8 kick, but I would note that there, too, developers decided to make a significant change in part to accommodate smartphone and tablet users. Those of us who use our (non-touchscreen) computers more -- and have for many years -- didn't even have the option to continue to use the techniques we'd grown comfortable with over a period of years.

It isn't that I mind change, but I don't see the point of what looks like change for change's sake. I prefer the old interface, but maybe the new one will grow on me.

(I do use a Samsung Galaxy SIII, but almost never to connect to the internet.)

EDIT: As a complete side note, my current computer does indeed use the Windows 8 OS. I'm much more okay with it now than I was at the beginning, but I still don't see it as a significant "improvement". And I had a greater learning curve than I think should have been necessary.

On the other hand, I have a high risk of "Late Onset Alzheimers", according to both family history and 23andMe. So maybe exercise for my brain is a good thing.
    Last edited by geebee; 04-10-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    Z30522+
    mtDNA
    C4a1a (T195C!)

India United States of America Chola Empire India Maratha Empire
    Like applying makeup to a pig (although piglets look good!).
    I think 23andme is making a big mistake by only going after hypochondriacs.

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by soulblighter View Post
    I think 23andme is making a big mistake by only going after hypochondriacs.
    There speaks a young and healthy person! Some of us are old enough to have acquired a list of ailments so long we can't remember them all. At least I can't. My memory is not my strong point. I have to keep notes. Then we get the medical inquisition "Has anyone in your family ever had X?" "Er. I think maybe my aunt Susie. Or did she have Y? Um." So 23andMe is ideal. I just hand over the report. No guessing and ferreting around in my memory banks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

soulblighter (04-10-2013)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    I was dreading logging in to look at it, but I have to say it isn't as bad as I thought it would be...I'll adjust. Although in all fairness, my expectations were extremely low.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA
    H1c9a

I am still trying to adapt to the new changes. I would really appreciate more user control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast