Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mexican, Spanish
    Nationality
    Mexican
    Y-DNA
    DF27>FGC20764

Mexico Spain
    I'm AB+ and rarely get bitten, although when I was a child I was a mosquitoe magnet. My father also is a mosquitoe repellent, he is either A or B blood.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    O+ & definitely more attractive to mosquitoes than opposite sex. 😈

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    L3h2

Canada Djibouti Ethiopia Somaliland Somalia
    I am type O and Mosquitoes loved me when I lived in the tropics. My sister has type B- and the mosquitos left her alone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Khamsin For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (05-23-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by rock hunter View Post
    Researchers aren't sure of just why, though there is something in type O blood that is not a component in other blood types.
    I know this is an old thread, but the statement I've put in bold is backwards. There is nothing in type O blood that is not a component of other blood types. In fact it's the reverse -- there is a component of A, B, and AB blood that is not a component of type O.

Have you ever wondered why the system isn't called ABC, but rather is ABO? It's because Karl Landsteiner -- the man who discovered and named the ABO blood group system at the beginning of the 20th century -- indentified only two factors, which he designated as A and B. "O" was not a third factor, but represented a blood type that lacked either of the other two factors. He called it "O" because that's the first letter of the German word "ohne", which means "without". So type O is type O for one simple reason: it is without specific components found in either A or B blood.

Those components are A antigen, which you have if your blood type is A; and B antigen, which you have if your blood type is B. Or both A and B antigen if your blood type is AB.

These components are produced by the conversion of H antigen -- which everyone has unless they have two copies of a certain mutation to a gene on chromosome 1 (the so-called "Bombay phenotype") -- into either A or B antigen, depending on your ABO blood type. But, not all of the H antigen is necessarily converted, so people with A, B, or AB may still have some H antigen. People with type O blood, of course, will only have H antigen.

So those little blood suckers may not so much be drawn to type O blood as repelled by A, B, or AB.
    Last edited by geebee; 05-23-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Iceni (05-23-2019),  Megalophias (05-23-2019),  Saetro (06-24-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12