Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z9
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ay
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (P)
    H1bh

United States of America England England North of England East Anglia Germany Germany Bayern

the Normans and R-U106 haplogroup

I have been trying to find new research on R-U106 and how it is connected to the Normans. After all the two most common haplogroups for the Normans are R-L21 and R-S28. I was wondering if the Normans had Frisian ancestors who traveled over to Normandy with the Vikings. Any comments would be most helpful.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    First of all, if you have done any Y-DNA testing at FTDNA and not already done so, I would strongly encourage you to join the R-U106 Haplogroup Project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106 We also have an active forum which you may want to join (send an email to [email protected])

We are still in our early "infancy" in regards to linking SNPs to cultures. It must be remembered SNPs are actually linked to families, and not cultures. Families can be found across cultures (think of how many families were split by the U.S. Civil War into the North & South) and cultures consist of many families.

R-U106 was undoubtedly found in the population of "Norman" settlers to England. It must be remembered the Norman Conquest also included a significant Flemish component (as William's wife was from Flanders) and the Low Countries were a "hot spot" for U106.

In addition, Lowland Scotland was repeatedly settled by the Flemish in the centuries after the Norman Conquest. Several of the Scottish Kings actively recruited them to emigrate, so it would be hard to prove a R-U106 ancestor arrived in "the Isles" from the Norman invasion, or if they arrived during a later settlement.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (07-09-2016),  bradly88 (07-08-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-14-2017),  Mykellos (01-15-2018),  spruithean (07-22-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Current research thoughts on the movement and dispersion of U106 region haplogroups can be found at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html . Iain updates periodically updates his documents as new test results are added to the U106 project. Maybe later this year there will be more movement hypotheses added to the documents. Iain has some conjectures presented in various U106 Yahoo group replies that are not yet integrated into the PDFs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cofgene For This Useful Post:

bradly88 (07-08-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 L48+
    mtDNA (M)
    H

England
    I'm also interested in this link. My surname is Maude, and I'm tested to U106 L48 to 67 markers. I don't know much behind the science of all this, but am fascinated by it all. I've also done the Family Finder by FTDNA.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA (M)
    I3b (FMS)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm also interested in this link. My surname is Maude, and I'm tested to U106 L48 to 67 markers. I don't know much behind the science of all this, but am fascinated by it all. I've also done the Family Finder by FTDNA.
    As per the advice above, please join the U106 project here: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/u106/

The project's Admin team members well versed in this stuff and will help you with your questions.

(note: at time of this post, FTDNA's website is down temporarily.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GTC For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-14-2017)