Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegene Results Spanish/Hungarian?

Sex

Wegene Results Spanish/Hungarian?

Hello, I am new here. I had 1% West Asian on Ancestry. So I thought that I could see if Wegene could look at it for me. I got some interesting results. I had 51.89% Spanish, 43.15% Hungarian, 4.92% Finnish, and 0.04% Other. This is odd because Eurogenes K13 module population 1 module shows that I am mostly SouthWest English. My 2nd population module shows a connection to like Central India. Other kits that I have seen got English or French. I was surprise to not get English at all in mine. Did I get somebody else's kit perhaps?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish Cuban
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b P310
    mtDNA (M)
    V17

Canada Cuba Spain
    Wegene is not reliable. They were correct in showing my Spanish background, but gave me 14% Hungarian. Neither Ancestry nor FTDNA, or all the Gedmatch calculators , shows remotely any connection to Hungary. It didn't work for me.

My results show 97% Hungarian? All my other tests show a mix of European Countries

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Im 85% Hungarian according to WeGene. Not reliable at all...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest Europe
    Nationality
    America
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253; I-Z140
    mtDNA (M)
    H3v2

Scotland Germany Ireland England United States of America
    Yeah, I uploaded mine, my dad's, and my husband's 23andMe results to WeGene, and they detected a large percentage Hungarian, which is completely wrong. I'd imagine a tiny bit for me (as my 4th great-grandmother on my mother's side was Hungarian), but not as high of a percentage as they gave me. Plus, my dad would definitely not show any Hungarian and they gave him a super high percentage, too.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    WeGene is geared toward East Asian populations (especially Chinese), and only has a handful of overly broad, and not particularly accurate, categories for European.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

LostSlough (06-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    3/4 USA, 1/4 Canada
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America Canada United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    WeGene has few European categories to lump Europeans into and they do so from an eastern perspective, not a western one. It makes things weird and inaccurate but nonetheless ethnicities do seem to fit into their broad and inaccurate categories.

France seems to encompass Western Europe, including England and Scandinavia. Their English designation is probably what we know to be Irish, Scottish, or Welsh. Spanish is probably their Iberia designation. Sardinian might be a proxy for Italian. So who knows what regions they consider Hungary to cover. East Central Europe? Balkans? Same with Finland and Russia. Baltic and part of Eastern Europe? Nonetheless, if people consider that their categories are limited and inaccurate, I think most of us will find we have ancestry in whatever region their designation is meant to cover. I get 60% French, which is a little lower than the Western Europe estimates I get elsewhere, but perfectly in line with being a mix of Western Europe and British descent with some Scandinavian tossed in. Their Hungary estimation is a little high for me but not any different from DNA.land or Genecove wanting me to be 22-24% Balkan/East Mediterranean, or Gedmatch hitting on Hungary, Croatia, Ukraine, and Poland.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Their "Hungarian" category seems to vaguely line-up with my eastern German, Bohemian, Silesian & Swiss ancestry. While "French" does appear to be all the British & Irish, western German, Dutch, French and Belgian ancestry I have (along with whatever Scandinavian inputs were present in those).

My Wegene results: (from an Ancestry DNA upload)

62.05% French
    37.38% Hungarian
    0.52% Cambodian
    0.04% Other

Not sure if the "Cambodian" is a relict of my Colonial American ancestry, or something present in the Bohemian ancestry. Ancestry DNA gives me <1% Asia East (I don't have the updated results yet), and gives my mom <1% Melanesia. The K29 report at Geneplaza, meanwhile, has apparently designated the DNA I inherited from my Czech great-grandmother as 12.6% Tatar. And then there's some mystery genetic heritage that seems to have come from my French Canadian 4th-great-grandfather which shows up in Ancestry DNA as <1% Ivory Coast/Ghana for me and 2% Mali for my dad, and as 0.3% West African on my K29 report. ...Or maybe the heritage from that French Canadian combined with the Colonial American heritage somehow resembles Cambodian to Wegene?

My dad's Wegene results: (also from an Ancestry DNA upload)

56.04% French
    43.05% Hungarian
    0.69% BantuSA (African)
    0.17% Papuan
    0.04% Other

Dad's ancestry is mostly German (with our surname originating in a part of Saxony that's very close to the Czech border), with some British & Irish, and that random French Canadian. Some of it is Colonial American, but not as much as there is on Mom's side of the family.

edit:

Just got Mom's Wegene results... I think it's safe to say that "Hungarian" seems to roughly correspond to East Central Europe. Mom being 1/4 Czech and also having a German great-grandmother.

Mom's results:

60.69% French
    19.78% Hungarian
    15.82% Finnish/Russian
    3.65% English
    0.04% Other

...And now I'm just really not sure what's registering as "Cambodian" in my results, lol.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 06-11-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    i get

European 92.09%

Hungarian57.48% ................................must include Germany, Austria, Hungaria, slovenia , czech and maybe even some of Poland
    Sardinian19.57% .................................represents also Italy, Corsica and french Riviera
    Balkan12.96% ...................................No Slovenia
    French1.83% .....................................includes Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands
    Ashkenazi0.20% ................................some of Poland
    English0.01% ................................includes all British isles and Ireland
    Finnish/Russian0.00% ......................includes scandinavia
    Spanish0.00% .....................includes Portugal

Iranian6.36%
    Egyptian1.51%

they did get my haplogroups

Paternal Haplogroup ?
    T1a

Maternal Haplogroup ?
    H95a
    Last edited by vettor; 06-11-2018 at 06:28 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna
    Son's mtDna = K1a4p

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1b
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-P311
    mtDNA (P)
    B4a1a

Germany England Ireland Philippines Spain India
    Mine is off as far as specificity wrt European ancestry, but the general regions are about right (like if I lump it all into north/west/east/south Europe and ignore the countries, it's about right).

It's spot on with my Asian ancestry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast