Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3654 cousin test
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a

Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Franco-Ontarian Wallonia Scotland

DNA transfers to GENI

This is a question that was asked in the French forum by TheConqueror. After seeing an announcement regarding this new possibility on Roberta Estes' blog, and the encouragement on this site I decided to take the plunge and see what would happen.
    The concept is interesting in principle. GENI has millions of genealogical records, to the point that they do not accept Gedcom transfers anymore because they claim you are already probably there. Indeed I am because a cousin of mine added me five years ago.
    So my results? Mitochondrial DNA - no match
    Autosomal DNA - I posted my son's results because his father is Italian and so I had great hopes.
    SEVEN matches - all through me - no Italian, but TheConqueror is amongst them...
    There is a feature that allows to find the common ancestor through the trees. It did not work for any of my seven, much is because most of them have posted only a few names not their full Gedcom.

So this one tree for the world is a nice dream...

In her blog Roberta discussed the transfer from FT-DNA, but it turns out that GENI will take transfers from 23andMe and Ancestry as well.

Anyone else tried?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Titane View Post
    This is a question that was asked in the French forum by TheConqueror. After seeing an announcement regarding this new possibility on Roberta Estes' blog, and the encouragement on this site I decided to take the plunge and see what would happen.
    The concept is interesting in principle. GENI has millions of genealogical records, to the point that they do not accept Gedcom transfers anymore because they claim you are already probably there. Indeed I am because a cousin of mine added me five years ago.
    So my results? Mitochondrial DNA - no match
    Autosomal DNA - I posted my son's results because his father is Italian and so I had great hopes.
    SEVEN matches - all through me - no Italian, but TheConqueror is amongst them...
    There is a feature that allows to find the common ancestor through the trees. It did not work for any of my seven, much is because most of them have posted only a few names not their full Gedcom.

So this one tree for the world is a nice dream...

In her blog Roberta discussed the transfer from FT-DNA, but it turns out that GENI will take transfers from 23andMe and Ancestry as well.

Anyone else tried?
    yes, they take 23andme transfers, but will not list the markers from 23andme. They only list the Ftdna tested markers

I have 42 matches..........9 with zero genetic distance and all others with 1 genetic distance...............they have no scope to list anyone beyond 1 Genetic distance ( a very good way of doing it )

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-Y33791 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

Saetro (07-10-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian + others
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a2

Iran Pahlavi Dynasty Dutch East India Company Italy Portugal
    What is this, basically an alternative to GEDmatch via GENI ?

Anyway, can somebody please post the link to get started with this? I'm having some trouble actually finding the start up point.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestryfan1994 View Post

Anyway, can somebody please post the link to get started with this? I'm having some trouble actually finding the start up point.
    Best to enter Geni via your Ftdna account...........easiest

once this is done, then use GENI to add 23andme and ancestry tests

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

ancestryfan1994 (07-09-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3654 cousin test
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a

You make me feel better because I had the same problem, I could not find it at all at first. First you have to be on the GENI site and create your profile. It can be as little as one person, but adding at least your parents enhance the chance of finding you. It is free. Then on your profile page, you need to scroll down until you see a series of tabs. On the right hand site there is one that says DNA with a red NEW tag on it. Click there and follow the instructions.

Or as Vettor says...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Titane For This Useful Post:

Saetro (07-10-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3654 cousin test
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    yes, they take 23andme transfers, but will not list the markers from 23andme. They only list the Ftdna tested markers

I have 42 matches..........9 with zero genetic distance and all others with 1 genetic distance...............they have no scope to list anyone beyond 1 Genetic distance ( a very good way of doing it )
    There is not a word about genetic distance on my report - just match quality - mostly second cousins twice removed. Because I did recognize someone, we know for a fact that the closest match is more like at the 8th generation, but although these people exist in my tree, because he is not linked into the system, it is not found. But as he says it is not about to enter his whole tree, one by one...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian + others
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a2

Iran Pahlavi Dynasty Dutch East India Company Italy Portugal
    You make me feel better because I had the same problem, I could not find it at all at first. First you have to be on the GENI site and create your profile. It can be as little as one person, but adding at least your parents enhance the chance of finding you. It is free. Then on your profile page, you need to scroll down until you see a series of tabs. On the right hand site there is one that says DNA with a red NEW tag on it. Click there and follow the instructions.

Or as Vettor says...

it worked through FTDNA, now the question is, is there a processing period, or should you see relatives straight away if theres any there?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3654 cousin test
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a

it worked through FTDNA, now the question is, is there a processing period, or should you see relatives straight away if theres any there?
    No, within the hour I would say. The minute it shows "at" beside your name, click on details.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Titane For This Useful Post:

ancestryfan1994 (07-09-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    I uploaded my FTDNA data and have eight matches including one known cousin who matches me on other sites, as well as a 12/12 yDNA match with someone from Sweden. I've uploaded my brother's 23andMe data as well but it still seems to be processing (I uploaded our data on the third).
    Last edited by Stephen1986; 07-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

There is not a word about genetic distance on my report - just match quality - mostly second cousins twice removed. Because I did recognize someone, we know for a fact that the closest match is more like at the 8th generation, but although these people exist in my tree, because he is not linked into the system, it is not found. But as he says it is not about to enter his whole tree, one by one...
    go into your DNA tab in Geni and you will see this ( many )

if you click the ancestor report to the right , it gives you there lineage

also , hover around ? for more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast