Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA
    J2b2-L283
    mtDNA
    H

Albania
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencediver View Post
    I think that if there was any flow of that sort,modern Sardinia would have had a higher Caucasus affinity, but then again I'm just speculating.

Bronze Age Montenegro, for example, had a good chunk of Caucasus affinity:

Bronze Age Montenegro is closest to Albania of today in terms of autosomal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fatherland For This Useful Post:

olive picker (08-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Friso-Saxon (Ingwine)
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    To create the Funnel Beaker culture? Yes I say so in Ancestral Journeys. Not that I have any solid evidence for this in the form of a really distinctive aDNA signature, so it's just a suggestion. This is what I say:
    Dear Jean, about TRB and the Balkans. I'am from North Dutch stock and just run the Eurogenes K36. Result: very typical NW German ( 'Anglo-Saxon') but with a relative high East-Balkan component! North Dutch was a typical TRB hotspot. An old residu!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnelbeaker_culture
    Last edited by Finn; 05-05-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I thank you very much for your answers, and your polite welcome
    The reason of my question is to solve an archeological mystery I'm thinking about in this period.
    Maybe you know the Sardinian nuragic sacred wells, dated roughly to middle/end of the Bronze Age. Their architecture shows clear influences from minoic-mycenean culture, being the same of some cisterns found in the Aegean area: the Fons Perseia at Mycenae is a good example.
    The difference is that this kind of construction developed in Sardinia the function of a temple for the water cult, as proved by archeological (remains of sacrifices, ex voto...) and folkloric evidences.
    There are about thirty known sacred wells in Sardinia. Is there any example of them outside the island? Yes, there is one, in Bulgaria, near the village of Garlo. It is not only similar, but almost identical to the sacred well of Funtana Coperta near Ballao, in Sardinia.

How could this fact be explained?
    I have two hypotesis:
    1) some Bronze Age Thracians, maybe of the tribe of Sardi/Serdi whence came the name of the town of Serdika (Sofia), went south and joined the Sea Peoples during the Bronze Age collapse, finally ending in the island called at the time Ichnusa and then Sardinia from their name. But some persons decided to return to their fatherland, and brought with them the knowledge to build a sacred well where they settled down.
    2) some people from Sardinia joined the Sea Peoples in their raids, finally ending in Thrace where they were then recorded as Sardi/Serdi. They then built a sacred well in the area of actual Garlo.
    (There are other similarities that link Sardinia and Bulgaria, but I think they date back to Neolithic/Eneolithic, so I don't write of them here)

The two hypotesis I made (which I find unsatisfactory anyway) need the migration of an amount of people large enough to explain a change of name for my island, or the settlement of a new tribe in Thrace, so a gene flow between the two lands in this period is to be expected.

If you have any other hypotesis, please tell me
    There are more than fifty sacred wells in Sardinia, not just thirty, also the notion that said structures were influenced by Mycenean architecture is really disputable, as the oldest examples of Nuragic holy wells are at least as old as the Mycenean cistern, and are also more widespread, whereas there are only a few isolated examples of such structures in the Eastern Mediterranean, not to mention the structures have completely different purposes.

A migration from Thrace to Sardinia is really unlikely since there is no material evidence to support it, and if anything the more likely of the two "migration hypothesis" would be the one about Sardinians settling in Bulgaria, because the Nuragic well temple is widespread in Sardinia, whereas there's only one isolated well in Bulgaria, so it'd be more reasonable to conclude the structure originated when it is commonly found, together with hundreds of other complex tholos structures, and not in Bulgaria, where there's just one example of tholos structure during that period.

Furthermore the dating of the Bulgarian holy well isn't even certain, I remember reading it's dating is debatable and it could be much more recent than the LBA, while the earliest Nuragic holy wells were certainly built in the LBA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123