Thread: Huguenots in Britain: surnames

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Huguenots in Britain: surnames

Hi All,

Just came across an interesting surname on my mother's side: Boucher, from the Birmingham area of England in the 1800's. A brief survey finds this to be a French origin surname, but most likely after the Normans, since it retained the original French spelling. I checked out the Huguenot Society, and they have Bouchers on record as confirmed Huguenot refugees to Britain in the 17th century. I was wondering if anyone could help me on either the surname Boucher, or on any information regarding Huguenot ancestry in Britain. Thanks.

Best,

Jon

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I had a recent match at FTDNA with that name, or something similar. But most of my matches don't give away any useful information.

Today is Bastille Day, isn't it? I bought a bottle of French Burgundy today at the grocery store to honor it. But the clerk seemed clueless as to what I was referring to.

later: I just checked that match, and the last name is "Poucher", 4th to remote cousin. There is no other information given.

still later: With in-common-with, there are 8 matches, one of which is another Poucher, maybe a sister (37/10 vs. 39/10). Another is a PhD!
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 07-15-2016 at 06:01 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Jon (07-17-2016)

Banned for Multiple Accounts Violation
    Sex
    Nationality
    Globetrotter
    Y-DNA
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA
    M7

Basque France Germany Spain United Kingdom Japan
    Boucher - Butcher. Thing is, Boucher is a very common name actually, and most know a number of them are not Huguenot for this reason. I wouldn't be surprised if your group is related to those that people were going on about years ago and whose Huguenot origins were considered questionable at best.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I bumped into a Heuguenot line while expanding my maternal branch recently. The original surname appears to be ROSIER or Le ROSIER. That male line arrived in England via the Netherlands a few centuries ago. But downstream it looks like the wives were English stock. Anyway, that line went from England to Virginia in colonial times, where ROSSER is a substitute, at least in my (plausible) line.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 08-17-2018 at 03:10 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

ffoucart (08-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I bumped into a Heuguenot line while expanding my maternal branch recently. The original surname appears to be ROSIER or Le ROSIER. That male line arrived in England via the Netherlands a few centuries ago. But downstream it looks like the wives were English stock. Anyway, that line went from England to Virginia in colonial times, where ROSSER is a substitute, at least in my (plausible) line.
    Not to disagree with your proposed derivation, I would point out that Rosser is a not uncommon surname in south Wales, the equivalent of Rogers in north Wales. A variant is Prosser, from ap Rosser or son of Rosser.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenHind For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (08-18-2018),  ffoucart (08-17-2018),  spruithean (08-23-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenHind View Post
    Not to disagree with your proposed derivation, I would point out that Rosser is a not uncommon surname in south Wales, the equivalent of Rogers in north Wales. A variant is Prosser, from ap Rosser or son of Rosser.
    Thanks for that. Those trees at Ancestry can be pretty confusing back that far. It looks like Rosier to England via Netherlands is legit. But when it got down to colonial Virginia, they started playing with variations. My end person was Sarah Rosser/Rossier/Rozier/Rosier. She married Rush Hudson in Virginia.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi All,

Just came across an interesting surname on my mother's side: Boucher, from the Birmingham area of England in the 1800's. A brief survey finds this to be a French origin surname, but most likely after the Normans, since it retained the original French spelling. I checked out the Huguenot Society, and they have Bouchers on record as confirmed Huguenot refugees to Britain in the 17th century. I was wondering if anyone could help me on either the surname Boucher, or on any information regarding Huguenot ancestry in Britain. Thanks.

Best,

Jon
    Boucher was often anglicized to Butcher. Also the name was sometimes written as Bouchier, Bouchie , Bowcher etc

The Huguenot society in London would be worth contacting.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

My maternal side is still in flux. I bumped into an alternate possible line in the Lee connection. But it looks like a minority opinion, compared to what I settled on, although I'm always ready to correct when I see that I was in error.

Anyway, this alternate Lee line has a maternal Huguenot connection, or I'm assuming that it is Huguenot (not R. Catholic). I don't have the specifics handy, but it has the surname Reno, which going back in time quickly shifts to Reynaud, or Renaud in the Huguenot Society of America list of ancestors (Louis Renaud 1676-1755), if it is the same person.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 08-23-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Sex

I just stumbled across this thread. My ancestors were most likely Huguenots. I have and ancestor's will from the London area in the 1750s that mentioned a Mary Boucher, living in Soho. This woman is decribed as a "kinswoman". Soho was one of the places in London that had a large group of Huguenots. Don't know if that helps much, but it does show that at least some Bouchers in England can be attributed to being of Calvinist origin.