Thread: Mayflower DNA forum (under Genealogy)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

Lightbulb Mayflower DNA forum (under Genealogy)

I would like to request a new sub-forum under Genealogy for Mayflower DNA. Their is a wiki https://mayflowerdna.org/wiki/index....er_DNA_Project under development for both Y-DNA (NGS testing) as well as mtDNA for the female passengers.

I have PM'd KWheaton (Genealogy Moderator) about this and she stated as a moderator she does not have the ability to add a new forum.

Thanks!

Ray

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-15-2016),  Cinnamon orange (07-16-2016),  MikeWhalen (07-14-2016),  Rick (07-16-2016),  rod (07-15-2016),  Táltos (07-15-2016),  Tomenable (07-20-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Excellent idea! When they get their autosomal project up and running I may be eligible to join (via Resolved White).

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (07-16-2016),  Táltos (07-15-2016),  Wing Genealogist (07-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Autosomal DNA will certainly be a "sticky wicket". Not all descendants will end up with DNA segments from their Mayflower ancestor, and even shared segments wouldn't automatically mean the segment(s) came from the Mayflower Passenger (as people will likely be related multiple ways). I am also anxious to see what can be done with autosomal testing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% N. European 5% Other
    Nationality
    American Mutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2-FGC22501 hus.
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b2 16362

England Germany Sweden Scotland Norway United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    Autosomal DNA will certainly be a "sticky wicket". Not all descendants will end up with DNA segments from their Mayflower ancestor, and even shared segments wouldn't automatically mean the segment(s) came from the Mayflower Passenger (as people will likely be related multiple ways). I am also anxious to see what can be done with autosomal testing.
    A couple of years ago I started an experimental Rehoboth, MA atDNA project. At the time it was the only project based on residence in a single town and the requirements were to have one or more pre 1750 residents of Rehoboth. At the time I had no idea whether their would be shared DNA after such a long time frame. It took awhile for any shared atDNA to become evident but over time (at least the last time I checked) 2/3 of the people shared DNA with at least one other member. That does not of course reflect the DNA of the early residents as the shared DNA could be coming from a multitude of places. The unexpected by-product of the project was to accumulate the Y-DNA of the founding families' patriarchs. I would expect a similar outcome from a Mayflower project. (I have 6 known Mayflower families [2 proven by cousins to the Mayflower Society--the others not attempted] but I carry neither the mtDNA and obviously no Y-DNA so my only benefit would be if they had atDNA.)

One thing I have recommended to my participants is that the enter REHOBOTH as a surname which makes it easier to search for other members of the project. Adding MAYFLOWER might also be good. I also have a separate website that some participate in (voluntary) that lists their ancestors that lived in Rehoboth. https://sites.google.com/site/wheato...me/rehoboth-ma

Let us know when its up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kwheaton For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-17-2016),  Tomenable (10-12-2016)

Hi Wing,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I am pleased to announce that we've just opened the 'Mayflower DNA' forum area.

In addition, we've also just opened a forum area for discussing genealogy related software.

Please let us know whether there's any need for content migration there from other forum sections!
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content • Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content • Discuss respectfully • Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) • English language only in main forum area • PM 'Moderator' for basic maintenance tasks or information about member suspensions or bans

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:

Kwheaton (07-18-2016),  Rick (07-17-2016),  Táltos (07-17-2016),  Tomenable (07-20-2016)