Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

FTDNA Mayflower site

FTDNA and the GSMD (General Society of Mayflower Descendants) have a project at: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...rsociety/about

The Mayflower wiki is not associated with this project, but are working on collaborating together for common goals.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-18-2016),  Baltimore1937 (07-17-2016),  curiousII (07-21-2016),  Hayden (09-06-2017),  Táltos (07-17-2016),  Torc Seanathair (09-08-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    My rare U5b2b2/G228A is found there in and around the Plymouth Colony and early Massachusetts. But I haven't been able to establish a paper trail connecting my known maternal earliest known female with there and then. Here's another colonial site:

http://www.jamestowne.org

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

United States of America California Republic

Oakland

I have my application for Mayflower Society membership up in the Oakland office at the moment. It's based on the research a maternal aunt of mine did that proved descent from Gov. Bradford. I have her GSMD member number and supplied it to the office handling my application; I'd never have found this on my own.

I didn't know that there's a Mayflower Descendant Project at FTDNA, that's news. I'd like to get in that once my membership is approved.
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousII For This Useful Post:

Torc Seanathair (09-08-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that the Mayflower Project at FTDNA is limited to those folks who are either direct Y-DNA descendants of a Mayflower passenger, or a direct mtDNA descendant.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

curiousII (07-21-2016),  Kwheaton (04-15-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that the Mayflower Project at FTDNA is limited to those folks who are either direct Y-DNA descendants of a Mayflower passenger, or a direct mtDNA descendant.
    Right, according to: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...rsociety/about

My Bradford off-shoots were named Mensing by the time the 20th Century came around. I don't have a copy of it here with me, but my Aunt Ruth Hall was GSMD #49558. I remember she was getting my daughter into it, too, before she passed away but when I contacted the lady working with the Oakland office recently she said she didn't have any records of my daughter's membership.

But here's the mtDNA Mayflower Descendants' Project: https://www.familytreedna.com/public...tion=mtresults

You can find various websites that list the Mayflower passenger list, and I don't think the MDKA names on the Project's site match up in all cases. Tilly and Alden are two obvious ones that do, but it gets vaguer going down the list.

Now, this is something I remember from the lady working the NSCAR children's membership a couple of decades ago: She said they went by the female descendants' (DAR) records more than the males (SAR) as the menfolk had more of a tendency to embellish, needlessly elaborate upon, or otherwise twist and skew family stories and history around than their mates. Think that's true? An efficiently-run DNA project would effectively put that kind of practice out to pasture.

Edit: I should probably worry about a question like this causing the entire thread to be relocated to The Atrium, but here goes: Divine Grace, the belief of the Pilgrims that only a certain select few (like Gov. Bradford) were destined for Heaven. Obviously a controversial belief and certainly one bound to get its adherents in trouble with every king and minister who was not blessed with such a Grace. That would probably cause that belief's followers to be chased out of every town they landed in.

You don't read much about it anymore and I'll wait until a) my GSMD membership gets approved and b) I get my 500 posts in so I can follow this thread into The Atrium. Interesting question though, isn't it? I've read that those with a Divine Grace passport to Heaven used to instruct those commoners who had no reservations in the Afterlife that they should conduct themselves civilly while bound to the physical world because it was a nice thing to do. That's nice.
    Last edited by curiousII; 07-22-2016 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Question about Divine Grace

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

I got an email from the lady handling my Society membership application a while back. She said she had my application and I'd be hearing from her soon. Actually, my entire membership process has taken a pretty long time. She has my aunt's membership information and I've sent her all the required documents that their Society asks for. Excepting my parent's marriage certificate, though. They were married in LA in 1950, I know that, but that county's so big I haven't figured out how to find out which recorder's office has that record.

Should be easy to do, but I still haven't gotten it. And, if that's a real stop sign to my application she should have told me about it by now. So I'll wait a while longer, I guess.

I'm related to Bradford. Is proving kinship to him any more difficult than to any of the other Mayflower passengers? Anybody here involved in "Saints and Strangers" at all? This: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...and-strangers/

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

CuriousII: The application process normally takes several months (or even longer). You basically need to document EVERY birth, marriage, divorce & death record for them to accept your membership. They should be able to help you find where your parent's marriage record can be found, but I believe they will require it before they will accept your membership.

I had joined the Mayflower Society (in Maine) in 2011, and had supplied all of the needed documents at that time. I am now working on having my daughter join, and have supplied a copy of her birth certificate to them. Even this seemingly simple process is taking quite a bit of time, and they are asking me to supply more documents to some of her/my ancestry. They had previously accepted some secondary sources for some of the generations, but are now wanting more primary records (birth, marriage & death records) to support my daughter's line. I have found some of these records and have provided copies of them to the Society. I do believe her line will be accepted, but it goes to show the process is long and thorough. Patience is the key.

The Society has published a "Silver" Book (first 5 generations) for William Bradford, so they already have full documentation for these generations. The "lady" (historian) will let you know specifically what events you will need more/better documentation for, and they should suggest where you may be able to find this information.

Good luck with your quest.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

curiousII (09-08-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

The hold-up on my parents' marriage certificate was I didn't have the exact date they were married. LA County uses VitalChek which requires that date. But then I found an old newspaper clipping that had not only the date, but the address the ceremony was held at.

So I wrote off for it, which is what I should have done all along. And now that's it, all my required forms and certificates have either already been submitted or requested. Plus I emailed Mrs. Savage to let her know what I've done.

See my Family Finder map in the other thread? Isn't that just about the prettiest map you've ever seen? I think it is.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>Z4161>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e...or g

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    Just got my preliminary report: The first 5-6 generations are good, but apparently they have no record in their files of my line since Hannah Deuel was born 1753. This could take a while.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    Just got my preliminary report: The first 5-6 generations are good, but apparently they have no record in their files of my line since Hannah Deuel was born 1753. This could take a while.
    Hopefully it won't be too bad. Jonathan Griffith (Hannah's husband) is a Wing descendant, and I have traced the family in my role as Genealogist for the Wing Family of America, Inc. If you send me your line, I can give you a list of sources I have used to trace the line. I cannot guarantee the sources will be ones the Mayflower Society would accept, but at least it would be a start for you.

Ray (email: wing_genealogist AT yahoo DOT com)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (09-27-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast