mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-P109 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

Autosomal DNA for Mayflower Wiki

The Wiki project is also looking to explore autosomal DNA testing to see if it may be possible to identify autosomal DNA segments from Mayflower passengers & crew. This is an ambitious goal, which may end up not coming to fruition.

As I stated elsewhere, we only inherit autosomal DNA from some of our ancestors. More likely than not, we would not share any autosomal DNA with any one Mayflower passenger. But given the large population of folks who are interested in Pilgrim ancestry, it is likely that some of them would share such DNA from some passengers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-17-2016),  Táltos (07-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-P109 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)

One possible type of "autosomal" DNA may be able to be utilized. The X-Chromosome has a unique inheritance where men receive only one copy from their mother, while women receive a pair of X-Chromosomes, one from each parent. This unique inheritance means that for some lines, there have been less recombination (and a higher chance of retaining DNA from the Mayflower passenger).

The key to X-Chromosome inheritance is that in you cannot have two generations of male descent (as a man only receives X-DNA from their mother). In an extreme example, going back and forth between male & female descents, we may be able to detect fairly significant DNA segments coming from the Mayflower passenger.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H1-am
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-PF4867

United States of America Italy Ireland Germany Palatinate United Kingdom France
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    The Wiki project is also looking to explore autosomal DNA testing to see if it may be possible to identify autosomal DNA segments from Mayflower passengers & crew. This is an ambitious goal, which may end up not coming to fruition.

As I stated elsewhere, we only inherit autosomal DNA from some of our ancestors. More likely than not, we would not share any autosomal DNA with any one Mayflower passenger. But given the large population of folks who are interested in Pilgrim ancestry, it is likely that some of them would share such DNA from some passengers.
    I dunno, I'm getting matches all the time on Ancestry from Barber line (Rhode Island) which is from Susannah Soule descendants. You have a wiki link?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% N. European 5% Other
    Nationality
    American Mutt
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b2 16362
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2-FGC22501 hus.

England Germany Sweden Scotland Norway United States of America
    I think it will be difficult to isolate atDNA inherited from Mayflower ancestors as there is much difficulty in ascribing to a particular ancestor this far back. It seems to me YDNA and mtDNA might be much more successful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kwheaton For This Useful Post:

Wing Genealogist (09-14-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-P109 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwheaton View Post
    I think it will be difficult to isolate atDNA inherited from Mayflower ancestors as there is much difficulty in ascribing to a particular ancestor this far back. It seems to me YDNA and mtDNA might be much more successful.
    No doubt it would be much more difficult to isolate autosomal DNA than it would Y-DNA and mtDNA. However, it would also be exponentially more important to isolate atDNA if at all possible (even if we are able to only isolate small fragments). Y-DNA and mtDNA only help a very small fraction of the descendants of Mayflower Passengers.

In the end, it may or may not be possible to isolate any atDNA, but we won't know unless it is attempted.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573

United States of America California Republic

Family Finder

I've got my FF back today, pretty fast result as I ordered it on 8/30. MyOrigins isn't done yet, that's supposed to be in tomorrow, but I have found Doty listed as a 2nd-4th Cousin on page 3 of my results, 51 cM,longest block 22. That's the only instantly recognizable Mayflower name I spotted in my matches. The three most common match names are Smith, Moore, and Davis. That's "Moore" with 2 o's, not the More listed on the Mayflower site. Did that change to 2 o's over time?

I have 1,316 matches, the top listed at 180 cMs, a couple at 96 and 95. These three all have the same family name, one I've never heard of before.

So, I guess I notify Mrs. Savage of this and let her try to figure things out? This could possibly help my paper trail, right?
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-P109 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)

Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    I've got my FF back today, pretty fast result as I ordered it on 8/30. MyOrigins isn't done yet, that's supposed to be in tomorrow, but I have found Doty listed as a 2nd-4th Cousin on page 3 of my results, 51 cM,longest block 22. That's the only instantly recognizable Mayflower name I spotted in my matches. The three most common match names are Smith, Moore, and Davis. That's "Moore" with 2 o's, not the More listed on the Mayflower site. Did that change to 2 o's over time?

I have 1,316 matches, the top listed at 180 cMs, a couple at 96 and 95. These three all have the same family name, one I've never heard of before.

So, I guess I notify Mrs. Savage of this and let her try to figure things out? This could possibly help my paper trail, right?
    At the present time, autosomal DNA cannot be used for lineage societies, such as the Mayflower Society or the DAR/SAR. While you matched up with someone who has a Doty surname, this does not mean you match on this surname. It simply means you and this other person share some ancestry. You would still need to do further "paper" genealogy research to determine what lines you are matching. His Doty line is only one of many lines he has (much like you have many more lines than your surname). The odds your match are from his Doty surname are extremely low.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    The odds your match are from his Doty surname are extremely low.
    You're right, I agree, odds are there's no relationship there at all. I sent off an email to Mrs. Savage and cc'ed it to a couple of the FTDNA Mayflower admins. Maybe help speed things up a little.

But they do have that Society DNA project. Your answer is somewhat correct, but if there's a chance my DNA could help further that research, that's good, isn't it? Your comment is curious in that regard.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-P109 (23andMe)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)

Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    You're right, I agree, odds are there's no relationship there at all. I sent off an email to Mrs. Savage and cc'ed it to a couple of the FTDNA Mayflower admins. Maybe help speed things up a little.

But they do have that Society DNA project. Your answer is somewhat correct, but if there's a chance my DNA could help further that research, that's good, isn't it? Your comment is curious in that regard.
    The odds are you do have a relationship with Doty, but this relationship is less than 0.1% likely to be from the Mayflower Passenger Edward Doty. Doty was born about 1599 and doing a rough estimate of 30 years/generation and assuming your match was born circa 1950, there would be about 12 generations between your match and his likely ancestor, Edward Doty. At 12 generations, an individual would have 4,096 ancestral lines (most likely with some ancestors coming through multiple lines).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

curiousII (09-17-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573

You Do It

Ok, I agree. But you would assume then that I probably have no known relations with any of the Mayflower passengers? Are you one of the FTDNA Society project's admins? As Mrs. Savage has taken an undue amount of time with my application, perhaps you'd wish to process it yourself?

I can send all my documents to you, if you wish. Those, coupled with my recent FF results, should make for an interesting study, don't you think?

I think that'd be a fine idea. Want to start on it now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast