Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    Ok, I agree. But you would assume then that I probably have no known relations with any of the Mayflower passengers? Are you one of the FTDNA Society project's admins? As Mrs. Savage has taken an undue amount of time with my application, perhaps you'd wish to process it yourself?

I can send all my documents to you, if you wish. Those, coupled with my recent FF results, should make for an interesting study, don't you think?

I think that'd be a fine idea. Want to start on it now?
    I am not assuming you do not have any Mayflower passenger ancestry. In fact, a recent Facebook posting stated roughly 1 in 8 Americans are descended from a Mayflower passenger. I am only stating your autosomal match to a Doty does not automatically mean you do have Mayflower ancestry. Much like almost everyone else, you would need to do research in order to discover whether you do have a Mayflower line.

I am not a project administrator for the FTDNA Mayflower Society project and actually do not have any involvement with the project. It is my understanding they are currently only interested in folks who have a Y-DNA ancestry (strictly paternal line) to a Mayflower passenger, or have mtDNA ancestry (strictly maternal line). Much like the vast majority of folks who do have Mayflower ancestry, I do not fall into either of the above categories, so do not qualify to join this project.

I had mentioned autosomal DNA and possibly being able to use it in the future for joining the Mayflower Society as the Mayflower wiki project has stated they hope to be able to explore whether this may be possible in the future or not. This wiki has stated they have a goal of at least presenting the Y-DNA (and hopefully mtDNA) pages in time for the 400 year celebration in 2020.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Anyway, another week goes by and no news from Mrs. Savage. She knows I've taken my Family Finder, she's had sufficient time to go through my application and tell me if and where it's defective at all. I sent my application fee off to her over a year ago.

So, this is my FF map. I've put it in a couple of spots, mostly because it's so attractive. Isn't it? See how nice the blob over the UK is, how clean and empty Iberia and the lower Italian boot is of any color? In fact, there isn't any color mostly anywhere other than the British Islands with mere tinges, just hints of color, over just a couple spots in Europe. Western and Central Europe at 11%, Eastern Europe at 13%, that's close to 1/4 of my genetic makeup. And that 9% Finland and Northern Siberia could be from my paternal Grandmother Bogotke and not from my mom's side of the family, which is the Mayflower-side. There's a 2% pink spot over Turkey which gives a little break from the monochrome monotony, but that's a rare spot of life there, isn't it?

Back to Doty, I'm said to be a 2nd-4th cousin of one of the Doty's on my list with 51 shared cM's, one a 3rd-5th cousin, the other one's a distant relation if at all. I haven't tried to contact any of these people yet so I have no idea if they're the Mayflower Doty's or not, but that's the only other place I've seen this name. Other than my mom's old attorney's office, of course, which added a Doty junior partner after my mom's estate was probated. But that's another story.

Yes, according to this test I'm just about all British with very little influence from anywhere else. Isn't that odd? Is this what Mayflower autosomal maps look like?

2016-09-17-084728_1024x768_scrot.jpg
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    Last edited by Piquerobi; 09-24-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/4 Ashkenazi
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R2a
    mtDNA
    X1a1

Edward Doty was my 10th g-grandfather, and to my great surprise I have a number of AncestryDNA matches with other descendants of his. The odds are so small, but the descendants so numerous, that it's not impossible--in fact it's probable there are autosomal relationships between at least some
    distant Doty cousins. It's a numbers game. GEDmatch kit M193745 (my mother's kit--shes closer generationally)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European, Native American
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA
    U3a1c

United States of America Canada Acadia Ireland England France
    This is interesting! And who knows perhaps it will be possible to identify small segments of DNA from a Common Mayflower ancestor; my Mom (descendant of William Brewster and Stephen Hopkins) for instance has a DNA match who is her 7th cousin 1x removed; the ONLY common ancestor identified from their trees is George Hadley; Grandson of Susannah North Martin who was hung at the Salem Witch Trials: unfortunately Ancestry only shows how much DNA they share over x amount of chromosomes; if I could find this match on my Mom's Gedmatch list and then isolate the segment say in Genomemate pro for instance and mark it and then further sift through matches who also share this segment of DNA and do the research to see if they too are descendants of Susannah....while tricky and sure, could have hiccups...can you see the potential for this to be a possibility?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAlaise View Post
    This is interesting! And who knows perhaps it will be possible to identify small segments of DNA from a Common Mayflower ancestor; my Mom (descendant of William Brewster and Stephen Hopkins) for instance has a DNA match who is her 7th cousin 1x removed; the ONLY common ancestor identified from their trees is George Hadley; Grandson of Susannah North Martin who was hung at the Salem Witch Trials: unfortunately Ancestry only shows how much DNA they share over x amount of chromosomes; if I could find this match on my Mom's Gedmatch list and then isolate the segment say in Genomemate pro for instance and mark it and then further sift through matches who also share this segment of DNA and do the research to see if they too are descendants of Susannah....while tricky and sure, could have hiccups...can you see the potential for this to be a possibility?
    I do see this kind of work as a possibility, but do not know if it will come to fruition.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    One must be very careful about making assumptions. Like LadyAlaise, I, too, am a descendant of Stephen Hopkins (on my father's side). Several years ago, I had a match on chromosome one with a very nice lady who was also a descendant. We were initially quite thrilled because, after looking at both of our extensively researched family trees, Stephen Hopkins was our only common ancestor.

But then it all unraveled after I had my half-sister on my father's side tested. She matched with me at the same place on chromosome one but did not match with the other lady at all. That told me the other lady and I shared on my mother's side and not on the Stephen Hopkins' side. I said "bummer." She, being more well-bred than I, probably said, "alas..."

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>Z4161>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e...or g

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    I can see Cooke/Warren people in my FF queue or distant relatives. Most of them split off to other Cooke kids that I don't descend from.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12