Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

England Scotland Wales Germany Northern Ireland Ireland

Suggest a paying members lounge

Only visible to paying members...kinda like the moderator forum.
    Y-DNA R-Z49>Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    Ancestry: 37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French & Dutch, 1% India

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

Captain Nordic (07-26-2016),  DMXX (07-21-2016),  MikeWhalen (07-21-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Aside from a paying members-only area, do our subscription class regulars have any ideas regarding what they'd like featured in there?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

dp (07-25-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Aside from a paying members-only area, do our subscription class regulars have any ideas regarding what they'd like featured in there?
    Are you asking "In addition to the lounge what else do you want in the paying members-only area"?

Or

"What do you want to discuss in the paying members-only lounge"?

If the former, I would like to have an area to bounce things off of the regulars/paying members before going public.

For example: You have a theory or hypothesis about a y-dna haplogroup...when they got to X, how they got to X, where they were before going to X...etc. I think it would be helpful to have an area to work out the kinks in a theory, or to have the opportunity for peers to point out blind spots in your thinking prior to going public.

In other words a brain-storming area where one can present their ideas to a group that is invested in this site and this hobby/area of study...an area free of trolls and nut cases

A place where you check your ego at the door and not feel the need to defend every word...an area where it's ok to say "I never considered that" or "Hey what do you all think about this idea/concept? or "Do you see any flaws in my logic or thought process on...?"

If the later (how should the paying member lounge be different than the public one). A place to discuss what's going on behind the scenes at anthrogenica, or a place where members can be more themselves, and not bite their tongues as some of us do on the public side...a place to get to know each other better than can be done on the public side.
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 07-21-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    Ancestry: 37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French & Dutch, 1% India

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

dp (07-25-2016),  MikeWhalen (07-21-2016),  Webb (07-22-2016)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Forgive me if I state the obvious for a bit. There is a purpose.

A forum is as good as the people posting there. If there are experts on specific topics posting, then those who wish to learn more about those topics will be attracted to the forum. Many of them may simply wish to read, rather than contribute. That is normal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_r...ernet_culture) But other experts are also attracted to a place where they can exchange views with those with similar or related interests. They will only be attracted if they can see such discourse going on.

A few users of forums are disruptive. Some want to use any forum to spam, advertise their services/website or whatever. Others just love to cause disturbance in one way or another. They revel in it. Years ago open forums (i.e. with no registration, rules or monitoring) collapsed under that double burden. Registration, rules and moderation became the norm for any forum seriously intent on being successful. This forum aimed at a high standard right from the start and has actually tightened up the rules over the time it has been in operation. I don't think that there is a better one.

I can see the temptation to put in place another layer of protection from drive-by spammers, verbal litterers and shock-jocks. But to do that only for a private, paid forum would risk the mass desertion of the present forum. Picture experts piling into the private forum, at the very modest cost of $10 a year, and wanting this private forum subdivided by topic to match the current one. Picture some of the present lurkers following them, while others vanish along with any useful content that they might want to read. You might as well declare the present forum pay-to-display, which the admins have evidently decided against.
    Last edited by Jean M; 07-23-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Spelling.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (07-23-2016),  GMan71 (07-25-2016),  JMcB (07-24-2016),  MitchellSince1893 (07-23-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Yes, Jean I have to totally agree with you. The tough trolls to hold at bay are the connoisseur trolls. It would be impossible to keep them out. If too many rules are enacted, there is no way to push that camel through the hole and the forum dies.

I also enjoy your postings a great deal. You are helping to broaden my knowledge base, which is saying something for a sack of aged DNA.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

dp (07-25-2016),  GMan71 (07-25-2016),  Jean M (07-23-2016),  MitchellSince1893 (07-25-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    I can live with us having a paying members forum or not, so I dont really have a dog in the fight, so to speak

Just to clarify what I thought was suggested, or perhaps, what I would see as useful and valued...

-we are really talking about a single sub forum for paying members, in probable reality, long time posters that everyone is familiar with
    -It would just be 1 sub forum and there would be no splintering it or expanding it into an 'alternative' forum, just one place a bunch of old timers (regardless of actual age of course) can get together at
    -it would be like one end of the bar where a bunch of folks that know each other from something congregate at...in part because of similar interests, in part due to a demonstrated level of maturity and ability to speak rationally, in part due to familiarity and increased trust, thus allowing conversation to flow a bit easier

of course all the normal rules of the forum would apply, so not a secret place to be a jerk or racist or ideologue or what not, but still, where you don't have to qualify or put a smiley face after every sentence to make sure your words are not taken the wrong way

anyway, that is what I can see as being interesting, but as noted at the beginning, I can live with things either way

Mike
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (07-25-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    I can live with us having a paying members forum or not, so I dont really have a dog in the fight, so to speak

Just to clarify what I thought was suggested, or perhaps, what I would see as useful and valued...

-we are really talking about a single sub forum for paying members, in probable reality, long time posters that everyone is familiar with
    -It would just be 1 sub forum and there would be no splintering it or expanding it into an 'alternative' forum, just one place a bunch of old timers (regardless of actual age of course) can get together at
    -it would be like one end of the bar where a bunch of folks that know each other from something congregate at...in part because of similar interests, in part due to a demonstrated level of maturity and ability to speak rationally, in part due to familiarity and increased trust, thus allowing conversation to flow a bit easier

of course all the normal rules of the forum would apply, so not a secret place to be a jerk or racist or ideologue or what not, but still, where you don't have to qualify or put a smiley face after every sentence to make sure your words are not taken the wrong way

anyway, that is what I can see as being interesting, but as noted at the beginning, I can live with things either way

Mike
    I see the pit fall of what Jean has articulated above i.e. the public forum dying as all the interesting discussion takes place behind a pay wall.

But I do like what MikeWhalen said about a place
    "where a bunch of folks that know each other" have a "demonstrated level of maturity and ability to speak rationally, in part due to familiarity and increased trust, thus allowing conversation to flow a bit easier"
    and
    "where you don't have to qualify or put a smiley face after every sentence to make sure your words are not taken the wrong way"
    And of course
    "all the normal rules of the forum would apply, so not a secret place to be a jerk or racist or ideologue".
    If it was just one area with no subsections, I think this would curtail it from replacing the public area.
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 07-25-2016 at 08:54 PM.