Poll: How do you feel about testing remains of Mayflower passengers?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going Straight to the Source!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    I would certainly agree there were very different reasons WHY the DNA test was performed at Arlington. But it does set a precedent for exhumation of a body for DNA testing. I mentioned the exhumation of relatives to move to a different cemetery as it also set a precedent to allow family to exhume a body for personal reasons. While several centuries have passed since the pilgrims lived & died, many still hold a very emotional attachment to them.

Plymouth is gearing up for a 400th year celebration, so the time is ripe to propose such a endeavor for the purpose of honoring the passenger(s). There is so much we can learn from this.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27>Z225

United States Gadsden
    During the first winter of '20-21 appx 50 of the appx 100 mayflower pilgrims died. Out of fear that the natives would learn of their much reduced numbers the dead were buried secretly at night in a mass grave on what is now Cole's Hill in Plymouth. A flood in the 19th century (iirc) unearthed many of the remains, which were subsequently collected and buried in a new collective tomb. It seems that DNA testing might be useful to identify remains of these individuals. I know at least some of them left descendants. Perhaps I'm naive but this use of DNA doesn't strike me as particularly controversial. Rather it could provide a means to identify and honor the dead through individual re burials.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-20-2016),  Wing Genealogist (08-19-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Perhaps I'm naive but this use of DNA doesn't strike me as particularly controversial. Rather it could provide a means to identify and honor the dead through individual re burials.
    If the publicly expressed focus is on your last sentence, and DNA is merely the means to that end, you stand a chance.
    Not sure how descendants of the previous inhabitants feel, but in some countries failure to express things in a way that does not offend them might also be unwise.
    Pure focus on DNA would be behaviour in tune with the figure in your avatar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123