Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My AncestryDNA vs GEDMatch Discrepancy?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_McNinja View Post
    As I said above:

There isn't an applicable "race" classification for South Asia. We are a mixture of traditional races.
    Oh ok and the traditional races are a melting pot of other races? Like the rest of the world. We're all just a melting pot? What else can I learn about my past?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1-L657 (R-Y16494)
    mtDNA (P)
    M18a

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRocks760 View Post
    Oh ok and the traditional races are a melting pot of other races? Like the rest of the world. We're all just a melting pot? What else can I learn about my past?
    Your lineages can say a lot about the story of your ancestors. The autosomal results above tell you which ethnic groups you share the most with (so in this case, everything around Pakistan). Newer research in general unveils more behind the history of these groups. They just sequenced Neolithic Farmer DNA in a recent study which included Neolithic Iran which plugged one of the holes in the story of South Asian ancestry.
    Paternal - Y-DNA: J2b2* (J-M241) Z2432+ Z2433+ Y978+ (J2b2a2b1*) (Hidden Content ) (YFull: YF02959) (FTDNA Kit B6225), mtDNA: M18a* (FTDNA Kit 329180) (YFull: YF63773)
    Maternal- Y-DNA: R1a1a1b2a1a2c2d5a* L657+ Y7+ (R-Y16494*) (FTDNA Kit 311047) (YFull: YF68408), mtDNA: Hidden Content (FTDNA Kit B6225) (YFull: YF02959) (Mother's Mother's Father: R1a1a1b2a1a2c2* Y7+ Y29+ (R-Y29*) (FTDNA Kit 329181) (YFull: YF65256))

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_McNinja For This Useful Post:

dp (07-27-2016)

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_McNinja View Post

Edit: You also have a match, a bit more distant, with someone with the surname Malhotra who looks like Punjabi Khatri or admixed Punjabi Brahmin or Kashmiri Pandit. I think ancestry from one of these groups is probably likely.
    Malhotras are Khatri which is a form of Kshatriya but became a trading caste in the Punjab. All Sikh Gurus were Khatris.
    Now within Khatris some names look Brahman eg. Malhotra would be Mehrhotra or a Sun Priest. Similarly Guru Nanak was a Khatri of the Bedi clan, which again means Vedi or one who is learned in the Rg Veda.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

dp (08-11-2016)

Gold Class Member

Ok, this is fantastic. When I spoke with Dr. McDonald he told me to get the Y-67 markers from FamilyTreeDNA because he thinks that the smaller amount doesn't provide the results that are that great. He prefers for South Asians to do a much more deeper check so he recommended 67. Not sure which one I'll go with. The cheaper route does seem more do-able for me at the moment.

Another question, you mentioned the Indo-European settlements in South Asia is that why some of our DNA is shared with East Europeans? Also, so even though the populations show up in my approximation the Jewish admixture is not necessarily in my own genes? How would I find out definitively?

Thank you.
    I recommend the cheaper route. First narrow your haplogroup and then try a SNP pack.

Is there any possibility that you are a Mohyal?
    Last edited by parasar; 08-11-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America
    Hey all, I don't really want to re-open this thread as it's been so old. But, I didn't want to create a brand new thread just for an update on my current history.

My cousin is visiting me from thousands of miles away and we got into a convo about our ancestors.

I just found out that my great grandmother from my dads side so my dads grandmother was born in Kabul and was persian.

This is eye opener to me.

What does that mean for me then? I mean we consider ourselves Pakistani, but I didn't realize how close of a distant my persian history was. I would have expected maybe thousands of years ago if anything, but not this recent.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    Hey all, I don't really want to re-open this thread as it's been so old. But, I didn't want to create a brand new thread just for an update on my current history.

My cousin is visiting me from thousands of miles away and we got into a convo about our ancestors.

I just found out that my great grandmother from my dads side so my dads grandmother was born in Kabul and was persian.

This is eye opener to me.

What does that mean for me then? I mean we consider ourselves Pakistani, but I didn't realize how close of a distant my persian history was. I would have expected maybe thousands of years ago if anything, but not this recent.
    Isn't it amazing how things like that can be hiding from you? Nice that you had someone who knew it though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123