Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How and where did R1b get into the Bell Beaker folks?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    A P312+ result at Kromsdorf would have been splendid and a signal to break out the really good beer.
    In that regard, I heard a radio discussion today about a new one called 80 Acre Ale, from Kansas City. Sort of a hoppy hefeweizen... I think you brew your own, so that's just one direction of many one might take. But it sounded like a good idea, especially with spicy grilled seafood. And we live near Chesapeake Bay.

Our glorious leader may perceive this remark as off-topic, so read it while you can... Anyway, if I could drink some 80 Acre from a Bell Beaker, I certainly would.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by razyn View Post
    In that regard, I heard a radio discussion today about a new one called 80 Acre Ale, from Kansas City. Sort of a hoppy hefeweizen... I think you brew your own, so that's just one direction of many one might take. But it sounded like a good idea, especially with spicy grilled seafood. And we live near Chesapeake Bay.

Our glorious leader may perceive this remark as off-topic, so read it while you can... Anyway, if I could drink some 80 Acre from a Bell Beaker, I certainly would.
    Me too! I once tried to find some Beaker-style cups for sale on the internet, but was unsuccessful.

I do have two really nice drinking horns from Dagestan (yes, Dagestan) hanging on the wall in my computer room, right below my picture of Blarney Castle. The two horns look just like the Celtic ones. I don't drink from them, though. They're souvenirs.
    Last edited by rms2; 05-26-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I certainly think there is a possibility that R1b only met beaker in central Europe or the Alps. I am a believer that there may not be a single beaker people. I dont know for sure but there are regionally as many differences as similarities between groups who used beaker pottery. The pottery type could even have been spread by female lines, females often being credited with making pottery in the Neolithic. Beaker users tended to use a mixture of international and local aspects in their burial traditions for example. The actual traditions often look like spins on local pre-existing ones (sometimes odd spins) in each area although encorporating international symbols like beakers, arrows, bracers, knives etc. Its not surprising that happened given that beaker lineages must have been very much tiny minorities among local populations and this kind of thing is almost inevitable. That of course makes population movement details incredibly hard to infer. I would say this though - many of our ideas of the beaker people come from the phase from 2600BC onwards where beaker pots reached central Europe and not from the early west Med. phase. That is why the possibility that there were several beaker peoples has to be considered. Kromsberg is interesting. It contained both a classic central European male beaker burial and a corded ware style female burial as well as other ones of atypical traditions or not published. Its a real shame its not been published in detail because its a very interesting site.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

jdean (06-16-2018),  rms2 (05-26-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I once tried to find some Beaker-style cups for sale on the internet, but was unsuccessful.
    There is this guy: http://www.crumbleholme.plus.com/Bea...lkpottery.htm# I haven't had much luck finding his price list, though. I did find extended discussion of a commission he executed last winter for the Museum of Somerset, making copies of three beakers found in 1907 in the Wick Barrow. Those would hold some serious quaffs: http://archaeologyathinkleypoint.fil...3/spn_5171.jpg

A more fine-art [i.e. elitist] approach is taken by this other person, but I don't think the Bell Beakers per se have caught his fancy. Prices are prominently displayed, and high: http://venetiancat.com/CELTIC-IronAge.htm
    Last edited by razyn; 05-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Please delete. A too-early-in-the-morning error.
    Last edited by rms2; 06-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789