Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    If knowing given names is sufficient then I know all my great-great grandparents. For gg-grandmothers, I have one I don't know a maiden name for --just "Nancy", one only attested by a son's death certificate, and two that are brick walls even with having documentation of their surnames.
    What do you get with 4 brick walls -- a box.
    dp :-)
    Last edited by dp; 07-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Táltos (07-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-CTS1045
    mtDNA (M)
    H51a

England Ireland
    Only five complete generations for me, 3 missing from the 6th generation - one of whom is a NPE
    Gedmatch Genesis kit # UD5643268
    Paper trail regions, Norfolk, London, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Shropshire, Fermanagh, Cavan, Roscommon, Athlone, Tipperary, Dublin

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German/dutch/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP263
    mtDNA (M)
    H42a

United States of America Germany Netherlands Switzerland England Bohemia
    I can go back completely 4 generations before me, to all my second great-grandparents. Then records of my Irish ancestors on my paternal side cease (that's the generation that emigrated to the USA). I haven't been able to go farther back but I haven't overturned all the rocks yet, but I don't think I'll get anywhere. Very common Irish names and they were all poor, and the Irish weren't great record keepers and a lot of what they did have, as I understand it, was lost during the 1916 rebellion when the rebels holed up in the archive building and it got shot to hell.

The other relations on my paternal side are Dutch, and those records go back 11 generations and in one case 12. Early settlers in New York.

On my maternal side, most of my ancestors are German and German Swiss, and I can go back 7 generations in all cases, and in some cases, quite a bit more, and in one case, 20 generations.

Some cultures place a higher value on record keeping than others, seems to be the lesson here.

This was a challenge for me especially because I was adopted at birth and the first challenge was even finding out who my biological family are.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Quote Originally Posted by kostoffj View Post
    I can go back completely 4 generations before me, to all my second great-grandparents. Then records of my Irish ancestors on my paternal side cease (that's the generation that emigrated to the USA). I haven't been able to go farther back but I haven't overturned all the rocks yet, but I don't think I'll get anywhere. Very common Irish names and they were all poor, and the Irish weren't great record keepers and a lot of what they did have, as I understand it, was lost during the 1916 rebellion when the rebels holed up in the archive building and it got shot to hell.

The other relations on my paternal side are Dutch, and those records go back 11 generations and in one case 12. Early settlers in New York.

On my maternal side, most of my ancestors are German and German Swiss, and I can go back 7 generations in all cases, and in some cases, quite a bit more, and in one case, 20 generations.

Some cultures place a higher value on record keeping than others, seems to be the lesson here.

This was a challenge for me especially because I was adopted at birth and the first challenge was even finding out who my biological family are.
    Hello kostoffj

Civil records will not take you too far in time because they are a relative modern invention. You need to look in church records.

And I am no expert on Irish history but I know that it was compulsory for Catholic church to record the parents and grandparents of any baptized child since the Council of Trent and I am pretty sure that every single Irish child was baptized at some point. I think the absence of data today have more to do with Cromwell and the English occupation since the XVII century than the rebels in 1916.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

kostoffj (07-27-2017),  Vicmalaga (09-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Update.

100% up to and including Generation 5 (2 x great grandparent).

I have my first gap at Generation 6 (3 x great grandparent), due to an unrecorded father of an illegitimate birth in Norfolk, East Anglia. That still gives me 96.9% coverage of that generation.

I still have pretty good coverage at Generation 7 (4 x great grandparent) with 57 out of 64 direct ancestors at that generation, giving 89%.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Earl Davis (07-30-2017),  JMcB (07-26-2017),  spruithean (07-26-2017),  Vicmalaga (09-26-2017),  wombatofthenorth (07-28-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1k

all lines to great-grandparent level so I have 8 of 8 and it all seems quite solid

at the 2x great-grandparent level I have 16 of 16 but one of the lines has a possible first name but no other details and one other is very likely but not for sure and one other is a bit tentative

at the 3x great-grandparent level I have 23 of 32 although 2 are potentially questionable and a 3rd very slightly questionable and one that is known for sure has the birthdate and location as very tentative but the first name is known (and he had no surname, most Latvians were held as serfs until well into the 1800s)

at the 4x great-grandparent level I have 37 of 64 but 4 are slightly tentative and 4 are very tentative

at the 5x great-grandparent level I have 25 of 128 and 3 are slightly tentative and 1 is very tentative

at the 6x great-grandparent level I have 11 of 256

at the 7x great-grandparent level I have 4 of 512 and 2 are slightly tentative

the farthest back is 1649

on most of the farthest back on each line we don't have the birthplace (although it is most likely Latvia for most of them and probably the same parish as for their kids in most cases)

so far we have not managed to track a single birth to outside of Latvia, every single birthplace on the tree is Latvia, but we know that there needs to be some connection to (going by either genealogy tracing and surname, various DNA ancestry and matching clues, etc.):
    Scotland, Finland, Oceania and most likely also Netherlands, somewhere in the Balkans, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Norway and perhaps Ireland and who knows
    although all of this stuff doesn't add up to all that much the total ancestry percentage, probably about 10%

it would be so cool to manage to find a way to trace one line outside of the Baltics and to an outside location of origin and then start doing research there, but so far we can't get past the Latvian boundary, it's so hard to know how to trace back to a different country with no clear clues where to really look exactly, at least at this point (although my dad did recently get a new match, pretty small, who has a very extensive tree that seems to be all Swedish, so extensive that it seems like one the Swedes on the tree must also be one of my direct ancestors, but no clue at this point which one it could be and my mom has some matches who have very extensive Dutch ancestry trees, etc.)

my mom's side is way better worked out than my dad's, have all but 6 of her 32 4x great-grandparent level (and 4 of them are blocked by her one line with the out of wedlock 1878 birth which blocks lots of things obviously)
    Last edited by wombatofthenorth; 07-27-2017 at 02:57 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (07-27-2017)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678