Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How far back have you traced ALL of your ancestry

Sex

Ireland Wales Netherlands Germany Scotland England
    On my paternal grandmother's rather fancy side I've gotten back to the pre-Norman Conquest Saxons
    Paternal Grandfather's side, all Irish, only got to the 1600s
    Paternal Grandmother's side has a few landed gentry that emigrated to the American colonies and left a paper trail going back to the Normans and medieval Highland chiefs respectively.
    Paternal Grandfather's side is still largely a mystery before 1881, I'm working with GRT volunteer groups in the UK to help me track them down as the evidence suggests they were a travelling family.
    if it weren't for the Van Nuys I'd never know crayfish were included in heraldry...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    From my genealogy database on Gramps:

Generation 1 has 1 individual. (100.00%)
    Generation 2 has 2 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 3 has 4 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 4 has 8 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 5 has 16 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 6 has 29 individuals. (90.62%)
    Generation 7 has 51 individuals. (79.69%)
    Generation 8 has 47 individuals. (36.72%)
    Generation 9 has 36 individuals. (14.84%)
    Generation 10 has 10 individuals. (2.34%)
    Generation 11 has 4 individuals. (0.39%)
    Total ancestors in generations 2 to 11 is 207. (10.31%)

In other words, I have all 16 great great grandparents named and provenance. All English, mainly Norfolk.

Then Generation 6 (G.G.G Grandparents), it starts to decay. 29 out of 32 named. The missing three though are all absent unrecorded fathers of illegitimate children. But it really starts to collapse from Generation 8 (G.G.G.G.G Grandparents), with only 47 direct ancestors for that generation named.

All 207 by the way are South English, with the majority in Norfolk, East Anglia.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Generation 1 has 1 individual. (100.00%)
    Generation 2 has 2 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 3 has 4 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 4 has 8 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 5 has 16 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 6 has 32 individuals. (100.00%)
    Generation 7 has 62 individuals & 1 intermarriage (100.00%)
    Generation 8 has 105 individuals & 8 intermarriages (including one couple via 3 different lines)(88.32%)
    after this point the intermarriages cross generational lines and it makes counting by hand impossible.

I have elsewhere posted where 15 out of my 16 great-great grandparents (from the 5th generation) are distantly (and not so distantly) related to each other. As someone quipped: "I don't have a family tree, I have a family pole!"

Most of my ancestry at this level are from Maine, with a couple from New Hampshire & Massachusetts and one stray line from Delaware. How a farmer boy in interior Maine met and married a lass from Delaware and then moved back to Maine I have no idea. Mind you, this occurred in 1841, 20 years before the Civil War.
    Last edited by Wing Genealogist; 08-15-2016 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added in where ancestry from

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-16-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    since the thread is ALL of your ancestry.
    I have names for all my gg-grandparents, but for one I am missing a surname. During the Revolution War one courthouse of a county my family lived in was burned, in the War Between the States, that one and another that my paternal grandfather's line lived in, were burnt. And to make it the worst, the second one had already been burnt in 1830.
    Thank goodness for sprinklers.
    dp :-)
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-16-2016),  Cinnamon orange (02-11-2017),  Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-FGC9941
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

United States of America Colombia Israel
    I can trace back to my great great great grandparents in Romania, I know their names but I have no idea what they look like. After that, it's a brick wall.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Myth For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    celto-germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Scotland Cornwall Ireland United Kingdom United States of America Lorraine
    All my ancestors come from the British isles except one grandmother whose ancestors are from Alsace-Lorraine (the more ethnic German part of France). What is interesting about that is that it doesn't show up on ethnicity results from GEDmatch or ancestryDNA which shows how similar those genetics must be to other Germanic groups who invaded Britain. My sister claims to able to trace this ancestry all the way back to Prussia, one one side at least, and she also claims to be able to trace my maternal great grandfather to London England. He was said to go to Canada then to America. When in America it is said he was in charge of making sure Abraham Lincoln's body arrived to his grave or burial site safely. The other ancestors I only trace back to general regions e.g. Donegal. So it is different depending on the ancestors in question. That is part of the dilemmna of being a born and bred New Yorker rather than born and bred in Britain for me. I'm sure people in Europe are able to trace their ancestors further back with more detail.
    Last edited by NewAlbion; 08-16-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence it will fade as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."--Bertrand Russell

"ah, yes, dear brutes-- but then we must also be ever vigilant against scientism since neolithic humans cannot do real science." --New Albion

Banned for Multiple Accounts Violation
    Sex
    Nationality
    Globetrotter
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA (M)
    M7

Basque France Germany Spain United Kingdom Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAlbion View Post
    All my ancestors come from the British isles except one grandmother whose ancestors are from Alsace-Lorraine (the more ethnic German part of France). What is interesting about that is that it doesn't show up on ethnicity results from GEDmatch or ancestryDNA which shows how similar those genetics must be to other Germanic groups who invaded Britain.
    Can't identify it at all or erroneously calls it "German". Border regions such as the Alsace will typically be dubbed wrong by DNA because of intermarriage between the locals and likely due to a larger Germanic reference populations [& Americans] versus French reference populations. It is something countless people complain about on sites like 23&me without seeming to realize that borders are lines drawn on a map and mean far less in real life/history.

Banned for Multiple Accounts Violation
    Sex
    Nationality
    Globetrotter
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA (M)
    M7

Basque France Germany Spain United Kingdom Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    How far back have you traced ALL of your ancestry

Accurately I am like Evon on the first page and stop around the 1600s-1500s or 13 to 16 generations. I have lines that go back to 1100s and the 900s but that is likewise more likely wishful thinking & if nothing else good for a chuckle. The only line I know authentically that goes back quite far is the nobility line as it just isn't me who researched it but older relatives prior & so far my own research [checked against theirs] has yet to show variation. Which goes back 21 generations maternally & 29 generations paternally to 1124 give or take.
    Last edited by Gaku; 08-17-2016 at 06:34 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaku For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    On some of my lines the pedigree extends pretty far, but on my direct y-dna father line I can only get back to my third great grandfather, who was born on 05 February 1804 in Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia at the time), in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia that juts up along the Ohio River between Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Thanks to y-dna testing and the work of a professional genealogist recently hired by one of my closest y-dna matches, I now have a pool of likely suspects in the tri-state (West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio) area. It's just a matter of figuring out which of them was the father of my third great grandfather.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (02-11-2017),  dp (08-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Yeah, the Ohio River was the super highway into the west, after the Revolutionary War. My direct maternal line gets lost back there in the late 1700s & early 1800s. Cynthia A. Lee was allegedly born 1816 in Indiana (census info). My guesstimate of her father's line goes back to Cumberland, Maryland, and Connecticut before that. Her mother is mysterious, although a rare HVR1+HVR2 match goes back to Pennsylvania (if you believe census info). And then there was the Whiskey Rebellion that spurred movement out of Pennsylvania to more remote regions. I sometimes wonder if my lines back there were involved in that.

I've already bragged about another line in my maternal branch (not direct female line) that I still believe goes back via the second colonial governor of Maryland and on back into Medieval history.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 08-17-2016 at 04:01 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (01-06-2017),  Cinnamon orange (02-11-2017),  rms2 (08-17-2016)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast