Thread: Iberian + Mesoamerican DNA.

Registered Users

Iberian + Mesoamerican DNA.

I've always identified as African American but many people think I am Afro-Dominican.

After taking my Ancestry DNA test and transferring it to GEDMatch , I overlooked the 7% of Iberian DNA as well as the 3% of Mesoamerican Native DNA as well in my system. BUt now that I think of it, this is 10% of who I am. That's pretty big. Maybe that is why ppl see Dominican? I know Dominicans are mainly a mix of African + Iberian + Native Taino.
    Last edited by Herb.; 08-13-2016 at 02:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Herb. For This Useful Post:

RCO (08-14-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    This DNA testing business has revealed just how complex our actual backgrounds can be. Our society wants to categorize us as one thing or another (i.e. White, Black, Asian, etc.) but the complicated truth can certainly muddy up any ideas of "pristine" racial identity. Frankly, I'd rather have the muddy truth and celebrate all my ancestries than live in ignorance self-identifying as only one of them while denying the rest.

I try not to forget, while wading through the raw science of studying my genome, that all these separate sections of my chromosomes are tiny pieces of a multitude of living, breathing people who lived, laughed, and loved while trying to cope with the issues of their times. I don't know how you feel about things, Herb, and I am not implying anything about you, but while researching my African-American grandchildren's ancestors, our family has had to deal with the knowledge that some of them were the product of master/slave rape. But I can't help but hope that for every tiny piece of a rapist's DNA they carry, it originally came from parents and grandparents who may have been good people and would have been thoroughly horrified by the rapist's actions and had they known, would have thoroughly repudiated it.

One has little control where their DNA may end up. As a parent, I wish my grown children would always listen to me and live their lives exactly the way I say. But, alas, when they hit their teen years, they developed minds of their own and now do what they want and that's the age-old story, isn't it? I'm sure not living my life the way my parents would have preferred and I'm not sorry either. Some kids grow up to be model citizens...others...little turkeys. The prisons are full of criminals who were once some couple's precious little baby.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we decide what kind of people we want to be. But our DNA is not our own. We are only stewards of it for awhile and pass it on to the next generation. It has been carried for thousands of years by thousands of people, both good and bad morally. Should a few bad eggs in the family tree cause us to deny all the good, honorable folks we come from as well?

I think there is a tendency among African-Americans to assume all their European ancestry came from rape. History records that there was a lot of this, but I find it hard to believe that it happened 100% of the time. Folks from all ancestries have been engaging in loving, consensual relationships since the creation. Folks of European extraction can at times trace the movement of their families in written records over the last few centuries. Others, like my African-American and Native American grandchildren don't have that luxury. In my research on their lineage, I cannot go back much earlier than the middle of the 19th Century. I've learned not to assume anything.

Ten percent of your lineage is a good-sized chunk! I think you should celebrate every bit of it!

Sex
    Omitted

Are you from the southwest USA?

Registered Users

Thank you so much Grossavater! What you said made a lot of sense.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Slips View Post
    Are you from the southwest USA?
    Born in NYC, family roots in the SouthEast. North Carolina/Georgia primarily.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    This DNA testing business has revealed just how complex our actual backgrounds can be. Our society wants to categorize us as one thing or another (i.e. White, Black, Asian, etc.) but the complicated truth can certainly muddy up any ideas of "pristine" racial identity. Frankly, I'd rather have the muddy truth and celebrate all my ancestries than live in ignorance self-identifying as only one of them while denying the rest.

I try not to forget, while wading through the raw science of studying my genome, that all these separate sections of my chromosomes are tiny pieces of a multitude of living, breathing people who lived, laughed, and loved while trying to cope with the issues of their times. I don't know how you feel about things, Herb, and I am not implying anything about you, but while researching my African-American grandchildren's ancestors, our family has had to deal with the knowledge that some of them were the product of master/slave rape. But I can't help but hope that for every tiny piece of a rapist's DNA they carry, it originally came from parents and grandparents who may have been good people and would have been thoroughly horrified by the rapist's actions and had they known, would have thoroughly repudiated it.

One has little control where their DNA may end up. As a parent, I wish my grown children would always listen to me and live their lives exactly the way I say. But, alas, when they hit their teen years, they developed minds of their own and now do what they want and that's the age-old story, isn't it? I'm sure not living my life the way my parents would have preferred and I'm not sorry either. Some kids grow up to be model citizens...others...little turkeys. The prisons are full of criminals who were once some couple's precious little baby.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we decide what kind of people we want to be. But our DNA is not our own. We are only stewards of it for awhile and pass it on to the next generation. It has been carried for thousands of years by thousands of people, both good and bad morally. Should a few bad eggs in the family tree cause us to deny all the good, honorable folks we come from as well?

I think there is a tendency among African-Americans to assume all their European ancestry came from rape. History records that there was a lot of this, but I find it hard to believe that it happened 100% of the time. Folks from all ancestries have been engaging in loving, consensual relationships since the creation. Folks of European extraction can at times trace the movement of their families in written records over the last few centuries. Others, like my African-American and Native American grandchildren don't have that luxury. In my research on their lineage, I cannot go back much earlier than the middle of the 19th Century. I've learned not to assume anything.

Ten percent of your lineage is a good-sized chunk! I think you should celebrate every bit of it!
    I am really looking into digging deeper into it! And definitely embracing it. I mean if its a big part of my ancestry, and people actually see it in me, why not identify with it?

its beautiful to represent two things. Black and Hispanic.
    amazing how people can see it in me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    I hope you can dig deeper into it, Herb. My experience delving into the roots of my grandchildren's Black and Hispanic roots has been a fascinating journey. I'm actually still researching. When I married my wife, she had no idea concerning her Hispanic roots. I was astonished at the availability of records on her Hispanic ancestry and what my research revealed about her lineage. I have also been able to uncover a great deal of information on my African-American son-in-law's family. I haven't been able to get too far back with the actual Black side...in the male line only to a plantation in western Alabama in 1850. He does have one line of free blacks who lived in Harnett County, NC who were also connected to the Coharie Indian Tribe with further connections to free tri-racial families that had a very interesting status on the fringes of pre-Civil War society. I have discovered one line of Blacks that received manumission in around 1719. One of my son-in-law's ancestors operated a ferry in North Carolina and was instrumental in helping escaped Union soldiers get back up north.

So your family is like my family...White, Black, Hispanic & Native American. Our families are perfect representatives of the history of North America. Maybe I'm weird but I think that's pretty cool!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (08-15-2016),  C J Wyatt III (08-14-2016),  RCO (08-14-2016)

Registered Users

Yes, Gross!!!!!

MLDP23b has also assigned me 2.91% North Africa!

This is amazing. It's guessing I am part Puerto Rican, though.

1. 1 Damara + Damara + Mandenka + Puerto_Rican @ 4.684213
    I am so intrigued by this all. I have a few cousin matches in Puerto Rico on AncestryDNA and am working with one of them now!

Registered Users

I just found that one of my ancestors actually went back to Puerto Rico to die.

I am of Dumas descent and all of these people are in my family tree!!!!!

http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry-fami...0Carolina.html