Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-ZP69*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1a

United States of America Ireland Scotland Wales

Smile * Confirmed to be DF49 and awaiting further results (YSEQ) *

This is kind of exciting: not only does my family get to find out our family ancestry legends are UNTRUE but we get to find out in detail where the lineage links to.

The journey has taken us from R1b-L21 to now DF13-->DF49. YSEQ is performing the Northwest Irish panel now as we speak.

Being new to DNA genetics, what is the implication of being NW Irish? I am negative thru 23andme for M222.

Does DF49 mean inclusion to what is called Irish Type I?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrrstrat For This Useful Post:

dp (08-13-2016),  jdean (08-14-2016),  MacUalraig (08-13-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by mrrstrat View Post
    This is kind of exciting: not only does my family get to find out our family ancestry legends are UNTRUE but we get to find out in detail where the lineage links to.

The journey has taken us from R1b-L21 to now DF13-->DF49. YSEQ is performing the Northwest Irish panel now as we speak.

Being new to DNA genetics, what is the implication of being NW Irish? I am negative thru 23andme for M222.

North west Irish is one of the old names for what was later identified as M222 but I would take the moniker with a pinch of salt. DF49 is millenia older than M222 and so much harder to pin down in terms of origins.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

jdean (08-14-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Glad to see another DF49xM222. I'm off a brother branch of M222, more like a small burl, or nub.
    dp :-)

Last edited by dp; 08-13-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

mrrstrat (08-14-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-ZP69*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1a

I guess I am asking what does being in DF49 mean - Northwest Irish?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    I guess I am asking what does being in DF49 mean - Northwest Irish?
    Welcome to the club, mrrstrat! You ask a great question, but it's one that isn't easily answered yet. As MacUalraig pinted out, DF49 is very old. It's widely but thinly distributed across the British Isles, and can't easily be described as belonging to a particular region. If you manage to define things a bit more you might get a clearer picture, but you might not. We need far more people to do what you've done (and thank you for pursuing this, by the way). The more people who test and define their terminal SNP's the better idea we'll have as to the origins of the different groups.

That said, there has been a fair amount of speculation as to where DF49xM222 comes from. I'm particularly keen to see how many DF49's we find on the continent... if you look at some of the earlier threads you'll see where I've been speculating. It's very possible that DF49 is a primarily British subclade, though. If it is it seems to be mostly (but not solely) weighted towards the western parts of Britain. Some think that it (or at least the M222 branch of it) brought the La Tene culture to Ireland, either from Britain or the continent. Again, this is all speculation. The best thing that could happen is it could pop up in ancient DNA. The next best thing (and probably just as necessarily) is that as more people test positive and pursue their terminal SNPs and we get a sense of how it may have traveled across Europe and/or the Isles.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Mc For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016),  jdean (08-14-2016),  mrrstrat (08-14-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union

Have you had any STR testing done and if so could you share your results please.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-ZP69*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1a

I am having the R1b-21 Superclade testing done by YSEQ in Berlin because I came up as a L21* with the 23andMe testing.

As you know, 23andMe does not do deep subclade testing but knowing which panel I needed made it east to get a deep subclade test at a good price ($99 USD).

YSEQ states that on their testing that they consider the testing complete when they 'find a terminal subclade' (and from what I hear they are rather up to date).

Thomas at YSEQ told me they would find what my group is under L21* and the early results were that I am DF49* - they then perform the NW Irish Panel (w/M222) testing to find the final subclade under DF49 I belong to.

This is very interesting to my family as the family surname is Rogers - if the resulting subclade turns out to be 100% Irish then the mystery of where the surname came from surfaces. Was there a distant relative adopted or changed name?

It's like a CSI plot with all the major players dead and gone and only being able to be solved with DNA.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrrstrat For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016),  JMcB (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-ZP69*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1a

I am waiting for the results of the DF49* Northwest Irish (including M222) panel testing and will post my results.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-ZP69*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1a

And: YSEQ will provide STR results I will make available too.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrrstrat For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016),  jdean (08-15-2016),  JMcB (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    And: YSEQ will provide STR results I will make available too.
    Thanks didn't know Thomas was now doing STRs as well, can you provide a list of the ones you'll be covered for ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

dp (08-17-2016)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast