mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

DNA reply from a "Mayflower" lineage society

I received the following reply from a family society of a Mayflower passenger (regarding accepting DNA evidence)

"As for the DNA issue I think we will again follow the Mayflower rulings on this as it is fairly new. But all the lineal descent societies are dealing with the DNA issue. So it will be a while before societies "accept" DNA as
    proof. Not in my lifetime anyway!"

Definitely looks like we need to educate some folks!
    Last edited by Wing Genealogist; 08-13-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: highlight quote

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AJL (08-14-2016),  Kwheaton (08-15-2016),  [email protected] (08-31-2017),  Torc Seanathair (08-18-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    So it will be a while before societies "accept" DNA as proof. Not in my lifetime anyway!"
    MacGregor clan accepted DNA as proof some years ago.
    Hence conclude that Mayflower descendants are apparently able to post posthumously!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Kwheaton (08-15-2016),  [email protected] (08-31-2017),  Torc Seanathair (08-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

Definitely an uphill battle. But at least, I know where they stand, rather than be surprised when they dismiss DNA evidence.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Believe it or not, I could get into the Mayflower Society if I wanted to without too much difficulty, because a number of my relatives (mainly female) belonged and have already done the heavy paperwork lifting. I have a male second cousin who is a member, and he got in based on the work of those old ladies. For some odd reason, it's just not something I care that much about. I guess I am like those Europeans who don't care to be dna tested: they know where they are from and where their ancestors were from, so genetic genealogy holds little attraction for them. Similarly, pretty much all my life I have known about my descent from Myles Standish and the rest, so I kind of take it for granted and don't feel the need for the official approval of the Mayflower Society.

My Mayflower ancestry comes via my second great grandmother, Olive Augusta Washburn. Her Washburn family were New England Puritans and intermarried with many of the old Mayflower families.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Kwheaton (08-15-2016),  [email protected] (08-31-2017),  Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% N. European 5% Other
    Nationality
    American Mutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2-FGC22501 hus.
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b2 16362

England Germany Sweden Scotland Norway United States of America
    I think I have 6 Mayflower lines. Two I helped my cousin prove so they would be easy. The other's I am not sure.
    I believe the DAR accepts DNA evidence the Mayflower shouldn't be too far behind. Of course that far back the only proof woukd be YDNA....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kwheaton For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-15-2016),  Torc Seanathair (08-18-2016),  Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    I'm a Mayflower descendant from Stephen Hopkins but I've never joined any genealogy societies. What are the benefits? Is it just for the bragging rights?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-18-2016),  rod (09-02-2017),  Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    I'm a Mayflower descendant from Stephen Hopkins but I've never joined any genealogy societies. What are the benefits? Is it just for the bragging rights?
    I think some of the members are scared of DNA because they may lose their bragging rights.

Jack

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-16-2016),  Mykellos (03-20-2019),  rod (09-02-2017),  Saetro (09-15-2016),  Wing Genealogist (08-15-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwheaton View Post
    I think I have 6 Mayflower lines. Two I helped my cousin prove so they would be easy. The other's I am not sure.
    I believe the DAR accepts DNA evidence the Mayflower shouldn't be too far behind. Of course that far back the only proof woukd be YDNA....
    I descend from at least 10 Mayflower passengers (and some passengers by multiple lines). I don't say that to boast (as I had not done anything to deserve to boast about).

I have heard where the GSMD (General Society of Mayflower Descendants) has accepted DNA evidence in some cases. I don't know if the GSMD has accepted any lineages based on mtDNA, but I do know the FTDNA Mayflower project does list mtDNA descendants of several passengers (such as Elizabeth Tilley, wife of John Howland, and Priscilla Mullens, wife of John Alden). In theory, nothing would prevent the use of mtDNA as well, but it is simply harder to trace female lines than male lines.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-16-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    Undoubtedly, some folks join at least partially for bragging rights. But there are any number of reasons for a person joining. For me, I wanted to prove (to myself) that I am doing an adequate job of accurately documenting my line of descent. I was pleasantly surprised when my application was approved, as the historian did comment upon how thoroughly I documented my lineage. I had concentrated on using the "best" evidence (primarily VRs and gravestones) and tried to minimize the amount of published genealogies I had used.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-16-2016),  Saetro (09-15-2016)

Sex

Ireland Wales Netherlands Germany Scotland England
    I've got one mayflower line (at least) as a descendant of the Compact signer, Edward Doty. Personally, I was put out when I discovered this, all that WASP respectability doesn't sit right with me somehow.
    If DNA could get me off the hook I might appreciate it. lol
    if it weren't for the Van Nuys I'd never know crayfish were included in heraldry...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blinketyblink For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-16-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast